Poster Rank:84

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12892
Re: Montreal Bans All Pit Bulls

If they really wanted to stop problems with pit bulls, hold the pit bull owners FULLY RESPONSIBLE.

If a pit bull gets out of a yard and mauls someone, the pit bull owner should be tied up and mauled by another pit bull...TWICE.

That would quickly end the bullsh*t.

"Ah din doo nuffin'!"

Old 10-19-2016, 02:02 PM
lesslis2015
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:509
Female

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1361

Like many other laws and regulations made by elected officials and others. Breeding laws and proper animal care don't escape the idiots. No fn funds to babysit the morons that can't, wont, and never will abide by them. Soooo they create more regulations that only effect the law abiding that truly give a shit about animals and want to ONLY breed to a breed standard for health and temperment. Heboy.so many humans don't even care what they themselves breed much less a messed up dog. As usual, its all about the few bucks that can be made because fido is such a good boy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lesslis2015 For This Useful Post:
CrunchyCripple, rapeWhistle
Old 10-19-2016, 08:20 PM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:353
Female

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald2001 View Post
If they really wanted to stop problems with pit bulls, hold the pit bull owners FULLY RESPONSIBLE.

If a pit bull gets out of a yard and mauls someone, the pit bull owner should be tied up and mauled by another pit bull...TWICE.

That would quickly end the bullsh*t.

"Ah din doo nuffin'!"
Once saw a white yuppy woman on TV who just couldn't understand why her Pit Bull attacked (her or someone in her home - can't remember), because she had always loved the dog with all her heart and treated it like a human child.

Animal abuse isn't always intentional. It also comes from ignorance. Treating a canine like a human being, without taking care of the psychological needs of the canine psyche, causes the animal to become neurotic.

That's why so many little purse dogs are crazy and aggressive. Many are never raised/treated as actual dogs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrunchyCripple For This Useful Post:
Desensitisation, lesslis2015, Spiritual
Old 10-20-2016, 11:12 AM
Desensitisation
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT MAJOR
Poster Rank:222

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4564

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyCripple View Post
Once saw a white yuppy woman on TV who just couldn't understand why her Pit Bull attacked (her or someone in her home - can't remember), because she had always loved the dog with all her heart and treated it like a human child.

Animal abuse isn't always intentional. It also comes from ignorance. Treating a canine like a human being, without taking care of the psychological needs of the canine psyche, causes the animal to become neurotic.

That's why so many little purse dogs are crazy and aggressive. Many are never raised/treated as actual dogs.
This x2.

So many dog owners are surprised, and frankly baffled, when I teach them how to properly handle their dogs. Especially when it comes to certain breeds where you have to be the one in charge from when they are barely a few weeks old, otherwise they will cause merry hell for you.

One big problem I come across time and time again is so-called professional dog-trainers who insist "positive reinforcement only" is the ONLY way to train ANY dog. That, frankly, is bullshit. I understand to an extent why they say this, from the perspective that they don't want people to abuse their pets (because people frankly for the most part are fucking morons and wouldn't know when to appropriately apply positive punishment, negative punishment, or negative reinforcement) but to say you can get any dog perfect using only one quarter of the learning systems present within dogs or just about any animal is simply wrong.

If you don't set boundaries for certain dogs, they will walk all over you, and those will be the dogs that "surprise" owners because "they were always to well behaved".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Desensitisation For This Useful Post:
CrunchyCripple, Oswald2001, Spiritual, wmbondurant
Old 10-20-2016, 12:06 PM
lesslis2015
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Female

Activity Longevity
1/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1361

I like "teaching" a behaviour using positive rewards.....depends on dog, could be treat, toy or a pat on head. I will not correct a dog for a behaviour it never learned. Not fair imo. Not into yank and crank on collar for submission and obedience when teaching new things. I will collar correct for refocus or safety reasons.
Forming wanted behaviors positively could be a slower process but think it builds a much more trusting human/dog relationship. I personally have never seen a "stubborn" dog. Maybe a confused and not real clear on what you want dog, but not stubborn or intentional. Most really do just want to please. I don't disregard or ban any tool in the toolbox of training a dog. So much depends on the dog in front of you.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:22 PM
Oswald2001
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:84

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desensitisation View Post
This x2.

So many dog owners are surprised, and frankly baffled, when I teach them how to properly handle their dogs. Especially when it comes to certain breeds where you have to be the one in charge from when they are barely a few weeks old, otherwise they will cause merry hell for you.

One big problem I come across time and time again is so-called professional dog-trainers who insist "positive reinforcement only" is the ONLY way to train ANY dog. That, frankly, is bullshit. I understand to an extent why they say this, from the perspective that they don't want people to abuse their pets (because people frankly for the most part are fucking morons and wouldn't know when to appropriately apply positive punishment, negative punishment, or negative reinforcement) but to say you can get any dog perfect using only one quarter of the learning systems present within dogs or just about any animal is simply wrong.

If you don't set boundaries for certain dogs, they will walk all over you, and those will be the dogs that "surprise" owners because "they were always to well behaved".
I have had dog owners tell me, "Oh, he doesn't bite."...WHILE THE DOG WAS BITING ME.

This happened two or three times with different owners and different dogs.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:24 PM
wmbondurant
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:229

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1716 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4367

I found that my animal ( the bitch used to be so very dominant and obnoxious) does not like the sound of a cattle hot shot ; electricity .. she gets her heart right every time she hears it ..Just one of the more extreme tools I've used to temper bad behavior.
It was a last resort , many many would have gotten rid of her ..

I've had it in the closet now for years .. she's the best behaved dog I've owned .

Old 10-20-2016, 01:03 PM
lesslis2015
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Female

Activity Longevity
1/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1361

Lol....... don't get me wrong, have had a few that the e-collar and or prong collar were appropriate. But honestly they were rescue Shepherds that I helped avoid the pink juice for a long time. One I put down after 9 years, his brain was shot genetically and had become downright scary and dangerous to all. Not much rescuing after that. Prefer upping my chances on a properly bred dog and use legitimate breeder.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lesslis2015 For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001, wmbondurant
Old 10-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Illusion
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:28
Contributions: 25

Mentioned: 271 Post(s)
Quoted: 14563 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss32324

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeWhistle View Post
No sweat, lotta ignorance gets spouted on here.
Do you have anything intelligent to add to this thread or are you just going to sit there playing the white knight idiot?

My comments were not based on small data samples, but rather information based on a larger scale.

I'm sure your pit bull was a good dog that would only lick people to death and i'm sure that's the case with other dangerous dogs. That wasn't my point.

I'm also not judging the dog that killed that Montreal lady in the op or the two pit bulls that attacked and killed a two year old from TOPEKA, Kan. just a few days ago.

Over an 11 year study in the US, Pit bulls have killed 232 people, accounting for 64 % of dog attracts causing death.

These are the facts as to why this breed is being banned all over the world and across North America - Montreal being the latest city.

Again, sorry about your dog, partner. Nothing personal. Why not get a Lab or a German Shepherd?

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
11year.jpg  

map.jpg  

Old 10-20-2016, 03:46 PM
CrunchyCripple
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:353
Female

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2415

Illusion,

That's like asking why anyone would have a male human being in their life.

Do you have any idea how many male human beings harm, maim and kill others EVERY SINGLE DAY?

It makes your Pit Bull Statistics look like nothing.

If you tried this statistical data with human males, instead of dogs - people would laugh in your face. Even though the news has multiple daily reports on human male violent crime.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrunchyCripple For This Useful Post:
rapeWhistle, Spiritual