Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss659
Re: Charles Whitman

Ok, no offense to the dead, but looking at the dead killer, and looking at the killed are two different things. I want to see the people he killed. Is that too much to ask?

Old 01-22-2010, 07:05 PM
BizzaroDeathPoop
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:853
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss659

Or that it happened here in America is what is keeping people from putting more American destruction in here. It's all about everywhere else, not really from here. Bullshit. Gimme some real American fuck-ups, gimme death and destruction and murder and terrorization(hhmmmm???? what's THAT??) that happens every day HERE. Jesus ok, moped vs semi death, big deal; people getting beheaded OVER it let's get more real here folks, let's get some American Disturbance. Or are we just too damned proud and patriotic that we don't want the world to see that we are far from perfect...that we just throw stones at every chance we get...

Old 01-22-2010, 07:15 PM
dannielle327
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:953
female

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss547

great post Nikki.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:37 PM
dealeyplaza
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2592

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117

Excerpt of the note found with his wifes body (stabbed her in the chest 5 times with a hunting knife):

Sunday
July 31, 1966
6:45 p.m.

I don't quite understand what it is that compels me to type this letter. Perhaps it is to leave some vague reason for the actions I have recently performed. I don't really understand myself these days. I am supposed to be an average reasonable and intelligent young man. However, lately (I can't recall when it started) I have been a victim of many unusual and irrational thoughts. These thoughts constantly recur and it requires a tremendous mental effort to concentrate on useful and progressive tasks. In March when my parents made a physical break I noticed a great deal of stress. I consulted a Dr. Cochrum at the University Health Center and asked him to recommend someone that I could consult with about some psychiatric disorders I felt I had. I talked with a Doctor once for about two hours and tried to convey to him my fears that I felt come overwhelming violent impulses. After one session I never saw the Doctor again, and since then I have been fighting my mental turmoil alone, and seemingly to no avail. After my death I wish that an autopsy would be performed on me to see if there is any visible physical disorder. I have had some tremendous headaches in the past and have consumed two large bottles of Excedrin in the past three months.

It was after much thought that I decided to kill my wife, Kathy, tonight after I pick her up from work at the telephone company. I love her dearly, and she has been as fine a wife to me as any man could ever hope to have. I cannot rationally pinpoint any specific reason for doing this. I don't know whether it is selfishness, or if I don't want her to have to face the embarrassment my actions would surely cause her. At this time, though, the prominent reason in my mind is that I truly do not consider this world worth living in, and am prepared to die, and I do not want to leave her to suffer alone in it. I intend to kill her as painlessly as possible.

Similar reasons provoked me to take my mother's life also. I don't think the poor woman has ever enjoyed life as she is entitled to. She was a simple young woman who married a very possessive and dominating man. All my life as a boy until I ran away from home to join the Marine Corps

[Whitman stopped typing at this point, apparently interrupted by the visit of two friends, who later recalled a "very normal" conversation with Charlie. The note resumes in his handwriting.]

friends
interrupted
8-1-66
Mon.
3:00 A.M.
Both Dead

I was a witness to her being beaten at least one a month. Then when she took enough my father wanted to fight to keep her below her usual standard of living.

I imagine it appears that I bruttaly [sic] kill [sic] both of my loved ones. I was only trying to do a quick thorough job.

If my life insurance policy is valid, please see that all the worthless checks I wrote this weekend are made good. Please pay off my debts. I am 25 years old and have been financially independent.

Donate the rest anonymously to a mental health foundation. Maybe research can prevent further tragedies of this type.

Charles J. Whitman

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dealeyplaza For This Useful Post:
Creepy, DOApromqueen, shooterb, SJ
Old 01-22-2010, 11:29 PM
dealeyplaza
Offline:

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117

(link failed)

Old 01-23-2010, 05:28 AM
Niki777
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1233
Woman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss359

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealeyplaza View Post
Excerpt of the note found with his wifes body (stabbed her in the chest 5 times with a hunting knife):

Sunday
July 31, 1966

I don't quite understand what it is that compels me to type this letter. Perhaps it is to leave some vague reason for the actions I have recently performed. I don't really understand myself these days. I am supposed to be an average reasonable and intelligent young man. However, lately (I can't recall when it started) I have been a victim of many unusual and irrational thoughts. These thoughts constantly recur and it requires a tremendous mental effort to concentrate on useful and progressive tasks. In March when my parents made a physical break I noticed a great deal of stress. I consulted a Dr. Cochrum at the University Health Center and asked him to recommend someone that I could consult with about some psychiatric disorders I felt I had. I talked with a Doctor once for about two hours and tried to convey to him my fears that I felt come overwhelming violent impulses. After one session I never saw the Doctor again, and since then I have been fighting my mental turmoil alone, and seemingly to no avail. After my death I wish that an autopsy would be performed on me to see if there is any visible physical disorder. I have had some tremendous headaches in the past and have consumed two large bottles of Excedrin in the past three months.

It was after much thought that I decided to kill my wife, Kathy, tonight after I pick her up from work at the telephone company. I love her dearly, and she has been as fine a wife to me as any man could ever hope to have. I cannot rationally pinpoint any specific reason for doing this. I don't know whether it is selfishness, or if I don't want her to have to face the embarrassment my actions would surely cause her. At this time, though, the prominent reason in my mind is that I truly do not consider this world worth living in, and am prepared to die, and I do not want to leave her to suffer alone in it. I intend to kill her as painlessly as possible.

Similar reasons provoked me to take my mother's life also. I don't think the poor woman has ever enjoyed life as she is entitled to. She was a simple young woman who married a very possessive and dominating man. All my life as a boy until I ran away from home to join the Marine Corps

[Whitman stopped typing at this point, apparently interrupted by the visit of two friends, who later recalled a "very normal" conversation with Charlie. The note resumes in his handwriting.]

friends
interrupted
8-1-66
Mon.
Both Dead

I was a witness to her being beaten at least one a month. Then when she took enough my father wanted to fight to keep her below her usual standard of living.

I imagine it appears that I bruttaly [sic] kill [sic] both of my loved ones. I was only trying to do a quick thorough job.

If my life insurance policy is valid, please see that all the worthless checks I wrote this weekend are made good. Please pay off my debts. I am 25 years old and have been financially independent.

Donate the rest anonymously to a mental health foundation. Maybe research can prevent further tragedies of this type.

Charles J. Whitman
Wow thank you for the information .. Very interesting

Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 AM
Niki777
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1233
Woman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss359

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealeyplaza View Post

Sunday
July 31, 1966

friends
interrupted
8-1-66
Mon.
Both Dead

Charles J. Whitman
Wow thank you for the information.. Very interesting ;)

Old 01-23-2010, 09:09 AM
shooterb
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST LIEUTENANT
Poster Rank:187
male

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6067

Charles was forever immortalized in Harry Chapins Song 'Sniper'- it's a great song, one of his best and well worth the listen. I can't imagine what he went thru- he was truly troubled and confused about what he did. I firmly believe that the tumor he had was putting pressure on the area of the brain that controls reasoning and that that was the cause for his reasoning to be so affected that he did what he did. Truly, a sad, sad event.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:54 PM
dealeyplaza
Offline:

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117

Peter Bogdanovich made a movie in 1968 called "Targets." This movie tells two stories concurrently, about an aging horror-film star who feels that his type of movie monster has become passé, and the other about a father-hating gun freak who goes on a rampage to get even with his dad by shooting at people from the top of a water tower and then from behind a drive-in movie screen.

Sound familiar?

Old 01-23-2010, 02:07 PM
dealeyplaza
Offline:

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117

View of tower during the 96 minute attack.