Go Back  

4 Confirmed Dead in Horrific Accident at Theme Park in Australia. 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 10-27-2016, 02:17 PM
Flapmon
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:273

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3408
Re: 4 Confirmed Dead in Horrific Accident at Theme Park in Australia.

Both kids watched as their mothers got mutilated... No idea what's going to happen to the theme park, I wonder if they'll ever release the CCTV ..

Old 10-27-2016, 02:25 PM
Jrad
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:4290
M

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss49

Thanks for the video of the ride. I couldn't understand how the machinery worked from the news reports. It upsets me that our media and government censor EVERYTHING. It's tragic and terrible but it happened. Covering it with sheets doesn't make it not happen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jrad For This Useful Post:
Pigeon, shiverpudlian
Old 10-27-2016, 06:36 PM
donfeao
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:4896

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss39

very tragic, hopefully the video is out soon so we can see the 2 children been thrown out of the way. very tragic.

The Following Users Say Fuck Off To This Post By donfeao:
lozzy_ash
Old 10-27-2016, 07:33 PM
Nickola
lovable anglo-pilferer!
Poster Rank:47
Sheila

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 7839 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss21440

I can't quote where I read, because I can't remember..but it was an interview with a former operator who had said he'd operated that specific ride for 30 years and there were safety measures put in place if a raft happened to get stuck, and that was an emergency stop button, that would stop the belt immediately.
He believed the accident was caused by human error..failure to follow safety procedures when the first raft stopped..its also been said that it was the operators first day on the job and that she was only 18 and inexperienced (not sure if factual or not)

It is a horrible accident that could have quite possibly been avoided.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickola For This Useful Post:
Jordana, Pigeon, TheCreeperBEATNGU
Old 10-28-2016, 02:10 AM
Turn down fo what!
Poster Rank:209
Cabbage queef

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
7/11 sssss5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickola View Post
I can't quote where I read, because I can't remember..but it was an interview with a former operator who had said he'd operated that specific ride for 30 years and there were safety measures put in place if a raft happened to get stuck, and that was an emergency stop button, that would stop the belt immediately.
He believed the accident was caused by human error..failure to follow safety procedures when the first raft stopped..its also been said that it was the operators first day on the job and that she was only 18 and inexperienced (not sure if factual or not)

It is a horrible accident that could have quite possibly been avoided.
Yes, I used to be a ride operator at six flags magic mountain and the rides had emergency stop buttons. If we so much as accidentally pressed them, the whole entire ride would shut down and it wouldn't be up and going again until our electricians came up to get it going again. This ride looks very similar to the one at six flags. All the ride operators went through a while of training, and testing before even being allowed to operate a ride. I believe this guy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheCreeperBEATNGU For This Useful Post:
Nickola, Pigeon
Old 10-28-2016, 02:13 AM
Turn down fo what!
Poster Rank:209
Cabbage queef

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
7/11 sssss5000

Very very sad. There are no words. Horrible way to go.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:44 AM
sevens7ar
Offline:
Poster Rank:1579
Male

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrad View Post
Thanks for the video of the ride. I couldn't understand how the machinery worked from the news reports. It upsets me that our media and government censor EVERYTHING. It's tragic and terrible but it happened. Covering it with sheets doesn't make it not happen.
This is a great point. I used to drive like such a dickhead until I found this website. Due to censorship, I never seen the damage a car accident can do to your body.
Seeing shit on this site woke me up, I could even confidently say, this site has saved my life.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sevens7ar For This Useful Post:
bloodshin, Blueline29, BobbyBeachball, bushbarbie, Darcie221, Desensitisation, lozzy_ash, nzm, Pigeon, shiverpudlian, Sypher209, Vulnavia
Old 10-28-2016, 07:18 AM
Desensitisation
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT MAJOR
Poster Rank:221

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4564

Thanks for the clarification, Pigeon; seeing the machinery in action, it's sad to see just how lethal it would be to be dumped onto that conveyor system, and have yourself crushed between the conveyor and any static object. Anyone simply falling from the loading area onto it would suffer a similar fate.

Makes me wonder if there wasn't an emergency stop that someone could hit to stop the conveyor, not that it would have helped much. The thrown passengers would have received head injuries on impact, and even if the conveyor had stopped, the others could have easily drowned beneath the upturned raft. What a way to go.

The Following User Says Thank You to Desensitisation For This Useful Post:
Pigeon
Old 10-28-2016, 07:51 AM
Pigeon
Offline:
I POOP ON U
Poster Rank:89
Female
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desensitisation View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Pigeon; seeing the machinery in action, it's sad to see just how lethal it would be to be dumped onto that conveyor system, and have yourself crushed between the conveyor and any static object. Anyone simply falling from the loading area onto it would suffer a similar fate.

Makes me wonder if there wasn't an emergency stop that someone could hit to stop the conveyor, not that it would have helped much. The thrown passengers would have received head injuries on impact, and even if the conveyor had stopped, the others could have easily drowned beneath the upturned raft. What a way to go.
When I first heard about the accident, I thought the victims had drowned. Turns out it was a lot worse than that, but yes, even if the ride had been stopped in time the trapped passengers could have easily drowned. I'm not sure exactly how the passengers thrown out of the ride died, whether they also ended up caught in the machinery or were thrown outside the entire ride and died on impact, although I think I've worked out who was thrown and who was trapped in the seats.

There actually was an emergency stop button, but the person operating it wasn't alerted quickly enough, apparently. I imagine it was all over in just a few seconds. The person operating the emergency stop button was apparently an 18-year-old on her first shift at the ride; how fucking negligent is Dreamworld to put someone totally inexperienced with the ride in such a position?

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigeon For This Useful Post:
Nickola
Old 10-28-2016, 11:00 AM
Pigeon
Offline:
I POOP ON U
Poster Rank:89
Female
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12667

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-2...rience/7972724
Quote:
Dreamworld: Brisbane woman describes 'very similar' experience on Thunder River Rapids ride prior to deaths

A Brisbane woman says Dreamworld staff "pushed off" her concerns when her raft became stuck in the Thunder River Rapids ride, just months before four people died in "very similar" circumstances.

Jade Dunlop said she was told by staff that empty rafts routinely got stuck at the bottom of a conveyor belt, and that other rafts then came along to push them through.

Public servants Kate Goodchild, her brother Luke Dorsett and his partner Roozbeh Araghi were killed alongside Cindy Low when the ride malfunctioned on Tuesday.

Two children were also on the raft and witnessed their mothers' deaths. Both escaped without serious injury.

Ms Dunlop told ABC NewsRadio she had a "very similar incident" occur on the Thunder River Rapids ride in July, during which her raft — carrying three adults and one child — had hit an empty raft at the bottom of the conveyer belt.

"We bumped into it, but luckily, the force from how we were [sitting] was enough to push it on," she said.

Ms Dunlop, a single mother who had taken her 12-year-old daughter to the park, said her raft then became stuck, and a female attendant had to come and kick it free.

When she told another attendant at the end of the ride about her experience, Ms Dunlop said the attendant "pushed off" her concerns and told her: "All the empty rafts get stuck there. There's a bit of a current that just pulls them and keeps them there, but the next raft comes and just bumps them out of the way."

Ms Dunlop said the attendant also told her an empty raft was always sent around the circuit as "a bit of a buffer".

"You're only sitting on a cushion of air … you're sort of rocking and rolling and to-ing and fro-ing," she said.

"You kind of … put your faith into the ride and to the people because that ride's been around for a long time.

"You think: 'Well, hold on, it's been here for so long and there really hasn't been an incident', but it turns out … they just dismiss any of the [incidents] … brought to their attention."

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigeon For This Useful Post:
bnzn