Quoted: 19503 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss32869
Name:  brom.jpg
Views: 7080
Size:  8.2 KB
This case was rather hard to research, I'm guessing because it happened in the 1980's, before the internet really took off, so a lot of information that would normally be made available, has not been done in this case. For instance, I was not even able to find any pictures of his family, the actual victims. Through my research though, this is what I have been able to find.

On February 18, 1988 two deputies went to make sure everything was alright at a home on Rochester's Northwest side. High School Principal Denny Nigon had heard from kids that one of his students, 16-year-old David Brom, may have hurt his parents. He asked the police to check it out. Torgerson says, "I can recall the smell. It was very quiet in the house. I've got it all right here." Originally Torgerson thought the Brom home had been burglarized, but as he went upstairs:

"I could see that there were two people there and it turns out that was where Paulette and Diane, the sister, were laying basically entwined." Both had been cut by the blade of an ax. Further down the hallway was Bernard Brom, dead in his bedroom and 11-year-old Richard Brom, killed in his own bed. Torgerson says, "Shocking injuries, I can't describe it any worse than that. It was just amazing." "I don't remember much. I'm pretty sure Mike just said we need to get more help and I'm going yeah, let's go."

In the basement investigators found the murder weapon, a 15 to 20 inch ax covered in blood. Olmsted County Attorney Ray Schmitz got a call that night. "The big issue was obviously who is loose in the community and what's the danger to people at large." Before long the search was on for 16-year-old David. Brom had actually gone to school that morning and according to police interviews told at least one friend what he had done. He and the friend skipped school and spent the morning driving around Rochester, ending up at the Barlow Parking Lot. That's where he gave her details about the brutal murders, details she told police she was hoping weren't true. After leaving the girl at her home, Brom avoided the crime scene and police, spending a night sleeping outside. Brom was arrested the next morning when someone saw him making a phone call at the Post Office.

The following brief summary was pulled from the case file of one of his appeals.

Quote:
In the early evening of February 18, 1988, Olmsted County sheriff's deputies discovered the bodies of Paulette, Bernard, Diane, and Richard Brom on the second floor of the Brom family home. All four individuals had sustained numerous gashes in the head and upper body. Police subsequently found a blood-stained ax in the basement that forensic tests indicated was used to kill all four victims. Tests also revealed the ax handle bore appellant's palm and finger prints.

On February 19, 1988, Rochester police officers arrested appellant in connection with the deaths of his parents and siblings. Because he was 16 years old at the time, appellant was initially charged in the juvenile justice system. After a much-publicized reference hearing and appeal, however, appellant was referred for prosecution as an adult.
Wikipedia Reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Brom

Minnesota Department of Corrections:
https://coms.doc.state.mn.us/PublicV...asp?OID=146854

Last known prison address:
Quote:
David Brom 146854
Minnesota Corr. Facility
St. Cloud, MN 56304
19fenrir86, Azimuth, bernard, bl4ckwidow, booboo2718, Dr_Jackal, jacd, Kelseecat65, Leahdc, Leezah, Nates8er, ousoonerchic, S3v3n007, SavageGlow, Sterlig, thckoitin, vagabond
Old 12-09-2015, 02:10 AM
vagabond
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:173
female

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8138
I sure hope he dies in prison; not eligible for parole, I hope!
Old 12-11-2015, 10:15 AM
souris
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:149
guy

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10159
jerk
Old 12-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Broadjumper
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST LIEUTENANT
Poster Rank:232
Male

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss5690
Now you've done it - gone and spoiled the next season of "Fargo"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broadjumper For This Useful Post:
ILookyLoo, U2Addict
The Following Users Say Fuck Off To This Post By Broadjumper:
Dusti_
Old 01-05-2016, 12:13 PM
luton loyal
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:414

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2643
Old 01-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Azimuth
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:37
lady

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss37495
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
I sure hope he dies in prison; not eligible for parole, I hope!
He is eligible for parole in 2041, when he is 70.

From Murderpedia: (just a little bit of additional interesting info)

David Brom

On October 3, 1989, a Rochester, Minnesota, jury gave David Brom an unwelcome 18th birthday present: it convicted him of four counts of first-degree murder. A week later, the same jury rejected Brom’s claim that he was insane when he used a 56 blows with an axe to murder his father, mother, and two siblings.

He was subsequently sentenced to three consecutive life terms (and one concurrent life term) and will be eligible for parole when he turns 70. After his sentencing, the judge reportedly retired to her chambers and wept over the tragedy of the crimes and David’s wasted life.

While extremely violent, David’s crime is not that extraordinary. What is interesting is the dual legal issues that he raised: that crimes committed by a 16-year-old do not deserve to tried in an adult court, and that Minnesota’s M’Naghten-based insanity defense is out-of-touch with reality and unfair to defendants who are mentally ill when they commit their crimes.

Medical records and testimony at his trial indicated that David was severely depressed at the time of his crime. A Catholic prep school sophomore, David had twice attempted suicide (the last attempt was just a few months prior to the murders), and friends reported that he talked for six months about killing his family.

For reasons never fully explained, that time came on February 18, 1988. In a gruesome crime scene, Cascade Township police who had been summoned to the home found bodies of Bernard Brom, 41, his wife, Paullette, about 40, and children Diane, 14, and Rick, 9, all in their nightclothes. The four were believed to have been slaughtered early that morning. A bloody axe was found in the basement of the home. Authorities theorized that Bernard and Rick had been attacked first, and the women coming to investigate were subsequently struck down.

The only member of the household not killed — there was another brother who did not live at home — was David Brom and he was nowhere to be found.

The elder brother had an alibi, and David’s palm prints were lifted from the murder weapon.

David was arrested the next day while telephoning a friend from a pay phone at a post office. He admitted the crimes and explained that he was “having trouble with his father” over a music tape.

MarkGribben.com
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Azimuth For This Useful Post:
bl4ckwidow, jacd, Riendespecial, S3v3n007, SavageGlow, U2Addict, vagabond, William May
Old 01-06-2016, 03:13 PM
vagabond
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:173
female

Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8138
^ Thanks for the extra info!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vagabond For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, jacd, S3v3n007
Old 01-19-2016, 04:36 PM
Gizzywizzy
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:15606

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
I live right across the park and through a wooded area from the Brom house (It's still quite a topic here in Rochester). These are not verifiable facts but I have heard from folks that the blood flow from the mother and daughter at the top of the stairwell saturated through the floor, insulation and through the drywall below creating a puddle on the first floor through the ceiling. Very disturbing place - local news did a story about how there have been multiple intruder calls from those who live there with no one found. Link to that article below:
http://www.postbulletin.com/news/loc....html?mode=jqm
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gizzywizzy For This Useful Post:
CuriousGeorge420, jacd, murofhsirgo, S3v3n007, StalkingYou
Old 01-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Susan
Offline:
NOT THE BOSS
Poster Rank:27
ᴀᴅᴍɪɴɪᴤᴛʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
Contributions: 79

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss47698
Name:  brom.jpg
Views: 8601
Size:  4.7 KB
David Brom as a 16 yr old.
Click image for larger version

Name:	33690_1413307453196_1247830622_30927004_5732846_n.jpg
Views:	6259
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	664213
The house where it all happened, photographed in 2009.

Name:	david-brom1.png
Views:	7228
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	664214
The weirdo laughing in one of his prison photos.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Susan For This Useful Post:
booboo2718, jacd, Jordana, murofhsirgo, S3v3n007, SavageGlow
Old 01-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Susan
Offline:
NOT THE BOSS
Poster Rank:27
ᴀᴅᴍɪɴɪᴤᴛʀᴀᴛᴏʀ
Contributions: 79

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss47698

Name:	grave.jpg
Views:	6599
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	664216
The parent's grave.

Name:	grave2.jpg
Views:	6179
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	664217
The brother and sister's grave.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Susan For This Useful Post:
booboo2718, Dmocecil, EMason88, jacd, Jordana, murofhsirgo, Riendespecial, S3v3n007, SavageGlow
Old 02-03-2016, 11:47 AM
bjorn11
Offline:
Poster Rank:10434

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12
Too many we are on this planet, this is however not the way to solve this issue.

Some unconscious process in my brain kept telling me this guy probably has a brain tumor, am I going crazy?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bjorn11 For This Useful Post:
Goredon2, jacd
The Following Users Say Fuck Off To This Post By bjorn11:
Clouds in the Sky
Old 02-06-2016, 04:06 AM
jacd
Offline:
Poster Rank:7132
Female

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss27
Holy shit!!! I NEVER thought I'd EVER see a familiar face from my real life as the subject of a post on this site and then.....there he is....David Brom. I remember those days vividly. Rumors spread like wildfire in Catholic schools and over lunch into that afternoon, there were whispers about something going down at the Brom house. I was in 8th grade. That evening I was home alone babysitting my infant brother for the first time. I had the radio on the local pop/rock station KROC and they interrupted with an alert that there had been a grisly multiple murder at the Brom home, David was the suspect and he could not be located. They advised to stay inside, lock our windows and doors and call police if you spot him or know where he is. I was scared shitless!! For a little context, Rochester wasn't that big of a city and the Catholic school community was even smaller. I went to Catholic school just as the Brom kids did. David was "dating"(as much as 2 teens can with 1 having uber strict rules) my friend's older sister at the time and she later testified against him at trial. She was not involved in the murders at all. At school the morning after the murders he got her to skip school with him and they drove around, stopped at Barlow's(4 blocks from my house) where he told her what he had done, there was some talk of getting money together and running away together(she was scared and in shock) then they went to her house with vague plans to meet up the next day. Needless to say she spoke up and he was spotted at the Post Office the next morning and arrested. The Catholic school community took a big hit as it was his parents' overly strict devout Catholic upbringing that was blamed in large part for David's homicidal angst. His sister was a Lourdes High School cheerleader, popular and was friends with most everyone. His younger brother was in grade school still. The whole thing was a HUGE shocker obviously, but no one could really understand why he had to kill his siblings... His dad was killed in his bed, mom and sister in the hallway(looked like they were trying to escape) and his little brother was in his bed. He tossed the bloody axe at the bottom of the basement steps. His older brother Joe was already living out of the home and among some locals here there is STILL a cloud of doubt as to him not knowing anything/not being involved.

I am absolutely not shocked in the least bit that you had an incredibly difficult time researching this. The Mayo Clinic looms VERY LARGE here and always has. Crime, murders, etc have a funny way of not getting a whole lot of media attention and the information about past crimes, murders, individuals involved etc seems to disappear almost altogether. I have no doubt that the Catholic schools played a big part in erasing evidence of the Brom's and what happened...there was no widespread counseling for students that you see today. Brom was basically added to the list of 4 letter words never to be uttered in catholic school/families. I am quite sure everyone remembers but no one really talks about it or even mentions it...not even when there is a similar circumstance or headline in the news -- no one ever says "oh yeah like when we were kids and the Brom's were axed by David" etc... My grandad died suddenly in 1991 and is actually buried not far from the Brom's in Calvary Cemetery so I am reminded of that whole ordeal at least monthly when I walk by their headstone to go 'visit' my grandparent's.

If anyone is interested, I will ask around a bit and see if I can find out anything more or possibly find their pictures....I know I had them with my stuff from Lourdes at one point.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jacd For This Useful Post:
b0g, bl4ckwidow, breadswag1, Clouds in the Sky, DiabloLucky13, Goredon2, HelloNurse!, Jordana, S3v3n007, Suffokait, U2Addict, WhatAClumsyGirl
Old 02-12-2016, 05:15 AM
WhatAClumsyGirl
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:4388
female

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss65
disturbing. Too many kids killing their whole families.

Thanks for posting...Very interesting case.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhatAClumsyGirl For This Useful Post:
S3v3n007
Old 02-13-2016, 06:05 PM
Amy
Offline:
Patron Saint of Filth
Poster Rank:2
Fem
Contributions: 8

Mentioned: 694 Post(s)
Quoted: 35657 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sss116097
Quote:
David Brom detailed to a friend how he used an ax to kill his parents, a sister and a brother, the friend testified Friday.

Annick, 17, told jurors in Brom's murder trial that Brom stopped her the morning of Feb. 18, 1988 as she was going to school and convinced her to skip school with him. He then detailed how he killed his parents, Bernard and Paulette, brother Ricky and sister Diane in the family's Cascade Township home.

``He said he hit his dad with an ax, he kept hitting his dad and his dad kept on getting up,'' Annick said. ``He said he just kept swinging.''

She said she was walking with Brom to his van that morning when he told her he had killed his parents.

The girl said Brom told her he had gotten into an argument with his dad about 11:30 p.m. the previous night and that he then stayed up until about 3 a.m.

Annick said Brom detailed the crime, saying he went to his parents' room, first killing his father. Then he hit his mother and went to Rick's room. Rick screamed. Then Brom screamed and left that room after hitting Rick with the ax. Then he saw his sister standing over their mother. Both Diane and Brom started screaming before he hit her with the ax, Annick said.

Annick said Brom told her he just kept on swinging for about half an hour.

``He said it was really gross,'' she said, adding that he told her ``that someone has to be sick to be doing something like this.''

Brom has been charged with four counts of murder and is on trial in Olmsted District Court. He has pleaded not guilty by reason of mental illness.

Annick said Brom told her what happened as he was driving away from the school.

She said they went to her home where he changed clothes, then went to K-Mart to buy some hair clippers and gum. They returned to Annick's home. She said they were interrupted when her mother came home and made her go back to school.

Annick said she didn't see Brom again until he stopped in to see her at work at about 5:30 p.m. that afternoon

At that time, Brom said he would be sleeping under a bridge and traveling the next day to Hennepin Avenue in Minneapolis, Annick said. ``I said I think they (the authorities) know. He said, ``just don't tell.''

``I was scared,'' Annick told jurors.

(In order to avoid undue pressure on young people who have been emotionally affected by the long series of events leading up to the trial the Post-Bulletin has agreed not to publish the last names of juveniles who testify.)
Source

New York Times article

Court Documents
The Following User Says Thank You to Amy For This Useful Post:
S3v3n007
Old 03-01-2016, 02:02 PM
McCourt
Offline:
Poster Rank:19484

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Well he sure looks pleased with himself, doesn't he?
The Following User Says Thank You to McCourt For This Useful Post:
S3v3n007
Old 03-10-2016, 08:25 AM
jacd
Offline:
Poster Rank:7132
Female

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss27
Yeah the local paper, Post Bulletin, agreed not to post last names of juveniles who testified but that really wasn't necessary as Annick(pronounced ah-NEEK) is a pretty unique name in the first place and there was only 1 Annick in the entire school which being a private high school, was pretty small anyway compared to the public schools here. They really should have not published her name at all. My friend had to change their phone number NUMEROUS times because of the constant calls.
The Following User Says Thank You to jacd For This Useful Post:
S3v3n007
Old 12-24-2016, 02:26 AM
CuriousGeorge420
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:143
Male

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 8717 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10841
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyksleevemuckyey View Post
Attachment 664212
David Brom as a 16 yr old.
Attachment 664213
The house where it all happened, photographed in 2009.
Attachment 664214
The weirdo laughing in one of his prison photos.
I don't think he's going to make it to 70 with those puffy eyes.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:10 AM
partyguinness
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1406

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzywizzy View Post
I live right across the park and through a wooded area from the Brom house (It's still quite a topic here in Rochester). These are not verifiable facts but I have heard from folks that the blood flow from the mother and daughter at the top of the stairwell saturated through the floor, insulation and through the drywall below creating a puddle on the first floor through the ceiling. Very disturbing place - local news did a story about how there have been multiple intruder calls from those who live there with no one found. Link to that article below:
http://www.postbulletin.com/news/loc....html?mode=jqm
Fuckin hell.

I would have thought a house like that would have been demolished. Who the hell would want to live there.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:29 PM
booboo2718
♚ Legacy Gold Member ♚
Poster Rank:451
Male

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 7/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2312
It wouldn't bother me in the least.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:18 PM
Goredon2
Offline:
Poster Rank:12066
man

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9
A youtube channel recently posted a video titled The Brom Family Murders: "I Killed Mom and Dad" and it's mentioned that the band Negativland and their song "Christianity Is Stupid" was pulled into the case. David Brom was a "punk" music fan apparently and there was speculation that a big beef between him and his parents was because of David's music preferences.

This piqued my interest because I was a Negativland listener back in 1988, so I did a little googling and discovered a hardcore song by the band Macabre about the murders! I thought I post the video here in case anyone else would like to hear it..
The Following User Says Thank You to Goredon2 For This Useful Post:
Clouds in the Sky