Quoted: 4496 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8005
Re: Asha Degree Missing From North Carolina in 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGotHair View Post
One of her elementary school's assigned reading tasks, "The Whipping Boy", may have served as a catalyst for her misadventure. The book details the story of a prince who decides, on a whim, to run away - a story which seems to closely mirror the events of Asha's disappearance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Whipping_Boy
That is an interesting angle. I did some more research on this and there are some disagreements with this theory. For one Asha had extreme social anxiety and terrible fear of the dark. She would go sleep with her brother but when her parents said she was too old she would sleep on the floor beside his bed. I got this information from a blog about her disappearance where they refer to her as Shelby's (the town) Sweetheart.

But if she did have anxiety and fear of the dark why would she venture out in the dark. Maybe she was sleepwalking or woke up in a panic thinking she missed the bus.

The key to this is why she left and who she met in my opinion. If we knew those we could figure out what happened to her. I never bought she ran away on a whim.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meraxes For This Useful Post:
Amy, Azimuth, wujuan
Old 05-30-2016, 03:21 PM
Amy
Offline:
Patron Saint of Filth
Poster Rank:1
Contributions: 8

Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Quoted: 35598 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sss117864

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbid75 View Post
That is an interesting angle. I did some more research on this and there are some disagreements with this theory. For one Asha had extreme social anxiety and terrible fear of the dark. She would go sleep with her brother but when her parents said she was too old she would sleep on the floor beside his bed. I got this information from a blog about her disappearance where they refer to her as Shelby's (the town) Sweetheart.

But if she did have anxiety and fear of the dark why would she venture out in the dark. Maybe she was sleepwalking or woke up in a panic thinking she missed the bus.

The key to this is why she left and who she met in my opinion. If we knew those we could figure out what happened to her. I never bought she ran away on a whim.
Running away towards nothing in the middle of the night doesn't sound likely.

She was running to someone. She had grabbed her belongings.....and left. This is if you are going by what the families story is.

Meraxes
Old 05-30-2016, 03:21 PM
Amy
Offline:
Patron Saint of Filth
Poster Rank:1
Contributions: 8

Mentioned: 692 Post(s)
Quoted: 35598 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sss117864

Do you have a link to the blog?

Old 05-31-2016, 03:03 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:92
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12730

This is one of those truly mystifying cases. What truly made her house will probably never get solved.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
Amy, Meraxes
Old 05-31-2016, 03:04 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:92
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12730

Leave her house*

Old 06-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Meraxes
Offline:
★Athena★
Poster Rank:148
Contributions: 17

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
Do you have a link to the blog?
I am sorry it I did not see this until now. Here is the link:
SOURCE

The Following User Says Thank You to Meraxes For This Useful Post:
Amy
Old 06-02-2016, 07:25 AM
ItsGotHair
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:2732
Male

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss107

Quote:

Anxiety erodes your ability to make rational decisions and children with this condition often have a severely diminished ability to discern fantasy from reality. Her fear of the dark may have stemmed from night terrors, which has a high degree of occurrence in children with anxiety. Did she perceive something to exist in the house as a result of night terrors as something so terrible that she would leave her home in the middle of the night to escape? Was her anxiety symptomatic of sexual abuse?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ItsGotHair For This Useful Post:
Alydia, Amy, Meraxes
Old 06-02-2016, 09:12 AM
Meraxes
Offline:
★Athena★

Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8005

Quote:
Anxiety erodes your ability to make rational decisions and children with this condition often have a severely diminished ability to discern fantasy from reality. Her fear of the dark may have stemmed from night terrors, which has a high degree of occurrence in children with anxiety. Did she perceive something to exist in the house as a result of night terrors as something so terrible that she would leave her home in the middle of the night to escape? Was her anxiety symptomatic of sexual abuse?
I spent a long time last night reading the information on the link I posted last post. That blog is great as far as assembling information and theories. I am pretty convinced someone she knew planned her leaving and there was no way she left on her own. Take some time looking at that blog if you are interested in this case, you will be glad you did.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meraxes For This Useful Post:
Amy, technicolorrose
Old 06-02-2016, 11:18 AM
ItsGotHair
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:2732
Male

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss107

Quote:
I spent a long time last night reading the information on the link I posted last post. That blog is great as far as assembling information and theories. I am pretty convinced someone she knew planned her leaving and there was no way she left on her own. Take some time looking at that blog if you are interested in this case, you will be glad you did.
Checking out the blog now...

The argument that she had a high degree of anxieties which would have prevented her voluntarily leaving on a misadventure that night can also be applied to the other argument that she was lured out - she would have similarly needed to overcome those same anxieties to leave the house.

Personally, I would be investigating the local church which she went to that day - it isn't unlikely that somebody there was abusing her.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ItsGotHair For This Useful Post:
Amy, Meraxes
Old 06-02-2016, 04:07 PM
Meraxes
Offline:
★Athena★

Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8005

Quote:
Checking out the blog now...

The argument that she had a high degree of anxieties which would have prevented her voluntarily leaving on a misadventure that night can also be applied to the other argument that she was lured out - she would have similarly needed to overcome those same anxieties to leave the house.

Personally, I would be investigating the local church which she went to that day - it isn't unlikely that somebody there was abusing her.
There are several thoughts it was a member of the church. A predator would know what to say to play up other fears. In my mind what would cause a child to meet someone in the dark which she is afraid of would be someone who said something like your mother or father is very sick and they do not want you to know but there is something we can do for them to help or something similar.

The Following User Says Thank You to Meraxes For This Useful Post:
Amy