Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2616 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss38087
Andrew Gosden

Background

Andrew Gosden was a gifted mathematics student with a 100% attendance record at The McAuley Catholic High School, who was on a government-sponsored programme to stretch the top five per cent of school pupils

He had been expected to score all A's in his GCSEs at school. The Gosden family live in Balby, a suburb of Doncaster, South Yorkshire.[4]

Gosden thoroughly enjoyed London, and would visit the capital with his family to see his grandparents, aunts and uncles and family friends who lived there. He also enjoyed visiting London's museums and exhibitions.

According to Gosden's father, he also had a good knowledge on how the transport in the city worked, mainly the underground and buses, knew the layout, and was confident in navigating himself around.

Disappearance

On the morning of his disappearance, Gosden had difficulty waking up and was particularly grumpy. He left the house for his school bus, though instead diverted his route, and waited in a local park until the rest of the household had left for the day. He returned home, placed his uniform in the washing machine and blazer on the back of his chair. He then changed into his casual clothes, consisting of a black Slipknot t-shirt and black jeans, also taking his bag with various patches of rock and metal bands on it. He also took his wallet, keys and PlayStation Portable console, with no other possessions able to be identified as missing.

Gosden's father mentions that it didn't appear he took a sweatshirt or coat with him in case it was cold, and the electronic charger for his console wasn't taken.

He withdrew £200 from his bank account, went to Doncaster railway station and purchased a one-way ticket to London before boarding the 9:35am train to King's Cross. Witnesses saw him getting on the train alone, and CCTV at King's Cross shows him leaving the main entrance at 11:25am on the same day.

That was the last time Andrew was seen. The ticket seller on Doncaster station remembered Gosden because he refused a return ticket, despite it only costing a small amount more than a single.

When he failed to attend lessons at his school, the teachers tried to contact his parents but a misdial on the phone meant they ended up with the wrong number, and Gosden's disappearance was not logged until later that day.

Investigation and searches

The Gosden family sat down for dinner on the evening of the 14th of September, thinking Andrew was either in the converted cellar playing video games, or in his room doing homework. The family soon realised Gosden wasn't in the house, and wondered if he was with a friend or a neighbour and had lost track of time. After various phone calls, at around 19:00pm, the family realised something was wrong after discovering his absence from school, and police were called.

His father Kevin and sister Charlotte walked along his route to school and areas nearby in the hope of finding any evidence, though nothing was found. The family's gut instinct was that if Andrew had travelled to anywhere outside Doncaster, he would have travelled to London, based on how much he enjoyed it. The investigation soon discovered that Andrew had walked to Doncaster station for London.

Initial searches in London focused on the Chislehurst and Sidcup areas where the Gosden family have relatives. The Gosden family handed out flyers and posters in the vicinity of anywhere they felt Andrew would have had an interest in visiting, especially museums and exhibitions.

Gosden's family were critical of the initial stages of the investigation. The police focused on the family before scouring the CCTV tapes at King's Cross, despite eyewitnesses stating that they had seen Gosden boarding the train and what time that was. CCTV imagery of Gosden at King's Cross was not checked until 27 days after his disappearance, by which time the trail had gone cold.

According to Kevin, CCTV footage from buses and the adjacent tube station wasn't even requested by the authorities. The CCTV image of Gosden leaving the main concourse at King's Cross was accompanied by a close up of his right ear which has a distinctive double ridge.

Subsequent events

In November 2008, a man visited Leominster police station in Herefordshire and used the intercom system to talk to a police officer, stating that he had information about Gosden. As it was an evening, the intercom system was in use rather than a staffed reception. When a police officer arrived to take the details the man had left. Police later appealed for him to get back in touch.[14]

In September 2009, the family released age progressed images of what Andrew would look like aged 16, to mark the second year of his disappearance.[15]

In May 2011, the family paid a private company to conduct a sonar search of the River Thames, using the same technology that's used to locate victims and important items at sea. During the search, no trace of Andrew was found, the search however managed to discover another body. In a podcast interview, Kevin mentioned that he wasn't aware on the outcome of the other body found, though hoped it provided answers for the victim's family. An interview with Kevin and a sonar technology expert discussing the search and technology used was featured on the BBC's show 'Missing' in 2011.

In 2016, Gosden's parents appealed for information on Panorama, the BBC's flagship current affairs television programme.

On 12 September 2017, it was announced that police were launching a fresh appeal.To mark the tenth anniversary of Andrew's disappearance, the charity Missing People made Gosden the face of their 'Find Every Child' campaign, with Gosden featuring on billboards and advertisements throughout the United Kingdom.

Documenting Reality
andrew-gosden-9.jpg  

AndrewDraftThundercalpFinal.png  

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Flaka For This Useful Post:
Bastet, beepboop, Dr_Jackal, k0rg0th, kellyhound, Loopville, maryrose5, Ninjavandal, Pyramid_Head, slyksleevemuckyey, Vixənn
Old 02-02-2018, 01:05 PM
Photoframework
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:13129
F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Re: Andrew Gosden

Damn, that sucks..

The Following User Says Thank You to Photoframework For This Useful Post:
Loopville
Old 03-29-2018, 08:51 PM
Ninjavandal
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:131

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoframework View Post
Damn, that sucks..
That's for sure. That's for damned sure!

Old 05-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Bastet
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:395

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2522

I know this is an old thread but decided to post a comment if that's okay? I've been closely following Andrew's case for a while now and it definitely is one of my "pet cases". My personal opinion is that he didn't leave for London for committing suicide, as some people have suggested on some boards. I totally understand his fascination for London and the probable need to get away from his everyday life. When you're a young, gifted and intelligent person living in somewhat a small town, you're likely not to meet many kindred spirits or come across to particularly stimulating activities. Big cities fulfill that desire better but they also have their fair share of shady and downright dangerous individuals. I hate to say this, but I think Andrew eventually got familiar with this type of person Many of them are skilled manipulators who are able to con even wordly adults, let alone a 14-year-old who's been living somewhat a sheltered life.

Nonetheless, I wish this case would be resolved at some point. The grief of Andrew's family has been hard to witness

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bastet For This Useful Post:
AliceInChains, brasscatherine, Charley, Cupofmuffin, Dusti_, keepitfun1, Loopville, Opeth3232, Pyramid_Head
Old 09-08-2021, 09:48 AM
Charley
Offline:
Don’t get kidnapped
Poster Rank:2494
Female

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 1/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss149

There is some additional information on the case that I think is suited here. I know this post is old but I think this post adds to the case info on the website. This has also been a case I’ve been interested in as I remember my own parents telling me how I shouldn’t ever leave home or wander off without permission, showing me the story on the news, as the case was fresh… Safe to say I listened to their advice.

Build Up
In the months leading to the disappearance of Andrew, he decided to stop attending Scouts. From this, his parents labelled Andrew as a bit of a ‘home bird’*as he rarely went out to see his friends. If Andrew did go out, he would always inform his parents of his exact intentions and whereabouts.**
He returned back to school at the beginning of September in 2007.*Andrew ended up breaking his routine twice in the first two weeks back at school, deciding to walk the four-mile journey home instead of catching the school bus like he normally did.**

Andrew Walks Away
Kevin Gosden later stated that nothing seemed out of the usual as Andrew walked down the street, he assumed he had gone to catch the bus. However, Kevin was wrong as Andrew never boarded the bus. Instead, Andrew went and sat in the nearby park (Westfield Park) where he could see his home and his parent’s as they drove down the street on their way to work - meaning he knew when they would be out and unavailable.
He was seen withdrawing £200 from the cash machine. It is believed that here, Andrew had tried to completely empty his bank account. However, Andrew had £214 in his account and the machine only dispensed £20 and £10 notes.*

The Train
Once he reached the train station, he purchased a one-way ticket to London and boarded the 09:35am train to Kings Cross.*The train Andrew boarded typically sold a ticket for £45-60 and would have travelled through Bradford, Halifax and Brighouse before arriving at Doncaster. From here, the train would have been a direct train to Kings*Cross –*with no*further*stops on the way.**On the train, Andrew was sighted by many passengers as he boarded the train alone. One woman had sat next to Andrew for the majority of the journey and later stated that he was ‘rather quiet and was just engrossed in his games console. The police later conducted an investigation into Andrew’s journey to London. During this, a ticket officer came forward stating she remembered Andrew due to the way he had hardly rejected her when she offered him a return ticket for just £1 extra.**

The Error
It was while Andrew would have been boarding the train, that his school realised that Andrew had not arrived and found this strange due to his 100% attendance. They had received no phone call from his parents stating why Andrew was off and so the school decided to leave the family a message on the answering machine. However, they had dialled the wrong number so Kevin and*Glennis*never*received*the message that could have been vital in locating Andrew before he went off radar.

Groomed Online?
The theory that Andrew had gone to meet up with someone he had met online also cropped up. Yet, Andrew did not use a computer at home or at school. Sony were contacted and they also confirmed that his PSP had no online account. Furthermore, Andrew had no e-mail address or mobile phone, making the possibility of him being groomed online rather slim, unless, as teenagers often do, he was keeping stuff secret from his family.

Running Away?
The idea that Andrew had planned to runaway was also mentioned. It was theorised that he may have intentionally fallen off the radar due to bullying or a tough family life. His mental health was also questioned but his family were extremely adamant that Andrew was not depressed, even though they did start to question if they had missed the signs and not questioned them. Andrew’s parents knew that Andrew was labelled as a ‘geek’*but his sister Charlotte (who was two-years older) was also at the same school and ran the anti-bullying scheme. She had never noticed Andrew being bullied. Charlotte and Andrew were also very close and the family believed that if Andrew was being bullied, he would have gone to Charlotte and told her.*

Live Music?
Music events in the capital were also investigated as it was known that Andrew loved rock and metal bands. The night of Andrew’s disappearance, Thirty Seconds to Mars were playing at the Brixton Academy and*SikTh*played a*rescheduled*farewell show at the Carling Academy.**With the*SikTh*concert being the last they would play, detectives believed that this was a plausible explanation for why Andrew was in London. The police appealed for any photos or videos from that gig to come forward so that images could be scanned for signs of Andrew. However, this turned up no new leads into the whereabouts of Andrew.

Police Failures
A year after the disappearance,*The Times Newspaper*reported that 122 possible sightings of Andrew had been reported in Great Britain – 45 in London and 11 in Brighton. Kevin Gosden also reported that there were at least two sightings of Andrew in the days after he disappeared that seemed credible – these sightings included one outside a Pizza Hut and one at Covent Garden, where both reported*Andrew*had spoken to them. Yet, the police did not investigate these claims straight away and instead questioned the women a whole six weeks after the disappearance.**The way the individuals described how Andrew approached them and spoke to them and he believed it sounded exactly the same way as Andrew, especially in the mannerisms and behaviour.

Kevin Gosden later went on to state that the uniformed police were very good within their own department or area but that the lack of communication between the forces was not very good. This may be in relation to the CCTV from the train station which the British Transport Police searched but found nothing. This information was delayed in being relayed to South Yorkshire Police, who then weeks later, had to send someone else down to look, who then found Andrew in the crowds. The police in South Yorkshire also knew exactly what train Andrew had boarded and exactly what platform it arrived at, yet it took Police in London twenty-seven days to retrieve the footage of him leaving the platform and station

Revisiting the Case
In 2017, Andrew became the face of the charity Missing People. In this year, it came to light that there could be a potential link to another case, that of gifted math’s student Alex Sloley. Alex Sloley was sixteen at the time of his disappearance from Enfield, London. He had been staying at a friend’s house in Edmonton and left at noon on 11th July 2008. That was the last sighting of him and since then nobody has ever come forward with the whereabouts of Alex. His disappearance came just ten months after Andrew, and they definitely shared similar personality traits.

In June 2018, The Gosden family revealed that someone had reported an online conversation with an individual with the handle, ‘Andy Roo’. This immediately sparked interest as Andrew had been known as ‘Roo’ among his family. The individual claimed that their boyfriend had left them and needed £200 to cover rent. When someone offered to send them money, the user claimed they did not have a bank account as they had ‘left home when they were 14’. However this was searched, and no new evidence came to light.

The Gosden family have kept Andrew’s room as he left it and have not changed the locks on the front door as Andrew had taken his key. They hope he may come back one day. His bank account was never used again since the day he vanished.

Statement from Kevin Gosden

Our son Andrew went missing on 14th September 2007.* My quilt square is made from his school blazer and badge, the last thing I ever saw him wearing as he said “See you later” on his way out of the front door that morning.
The rock band patches reflect his musical taste and were taken from a jacket he wore; his sister Charlotte stitched them onto the jacket for him as a birthday gift.* Andrew returned to our house that day instead of going to school and took his favourite bag, to which Charlotte had sewn similar badges.* The shoulder strap can be seen in the last image we have of Andrew leaving Kings Cross Station.* It reminds me of the thoughtfulness and care within our family and that our daughter lost a best friend as much as a younger brother.
The oak tree is present because Andrew and I once planted some acorns in a large tub.* These oak saplings have now been distributed to a close friend that rescued me when Andrew’s disappearance led to my attempted suicide, to our daughter and to Andrew’s old Primary school in our street.* The last is the centrepiece of our front garden and I am reminded of him each time I enter and leave the house. The stones reflect a shared interest and hobby.* Andrew collected rocks and minerals; seen here in the case I helped him make to display some of them.* He also polished rough rock in a tumbling machine.* It was our habit to do this on a Sunday afternoon together.* I remember turning the machine off thinking he would be back and we would work on it together then.* The lack of the background sound of the tumbling rocks seemed strange at first.* It was two or three years I think before I decided to finish the batch he was working on and I have continued the hobby ever since as something which reminds me of times we shared together.
Finally, I was going to stitch “missing since…” in the centre of the square when it occurred to me that being missing means too that you are missed. Missed so much, by so many people, for so long.

116000@missingpeople.org.uk
Ref No: 07-019198
https://www.missingpeople.org.uk/hel...sden-07-019198

Documenting Reality
22018268-5575-4EA4-8B54-32689BCAED61.jpeg  

D8179174-93DD-4F1D-AC15-CBF67CE5BE15.jpeg  

5D5CE1EE-2A24-4148-B67F-F77DAA42413B.jpeg  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Charley For This Useful Post:
Bastet, Cupofmuffin, Dusti_, Pyramid_Head
Old 01-26-2022, 12:11 PM
*Ragdoll_Cutie*
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:821
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss844

They do believe he was groomed they were looking into 2 men about it. But that was late last year or just in to this year and nothing more has been said

Old 01-31-2022, 10:48 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
♚ Legacy Gold Member ♚
Poster Rank:92
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss14500

I firmly believe he was meeting with someone, which explains why he didn't want a return ticket. Whoever he met is more than likely responsible for his disappearance.