JavaScript and Cookies are required to view this site. Please enable both in your browser settings.
Tatonduk Outfitters Flight VTS-25 Strikes a Berm on Landing

Go Back  

Tatonduk Outfitters Flight VTS-25 Strikes a Berm on Landing 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now
Old 02-09-2020, 12:36 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Mudderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 817

Mentioned: 433 Post(s)
Quoted: 8368 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
18/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss84541
In a recent aviation incident, a Tatonduk Outfitters Douglas DC-6, operating on behalf of Everts Air Cargo was involved in an event during flight VTS-25. The flight was en route from Fairbanks, Alaska, to Candle, Alaska, with three individuals on board.

As the aircraft was making its approach to Candle's runway, it encountered an unexpected obstacle—a berm—resulting in damage to the aircraft's landing gear. Despite this incident, the aircraft proceeded with the landing.

Fortunately, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reported that there were no injuries sustained by the three individuals on board. However, the aircraft itself suffered significant damage due to the impact with the berm during its descent for landing.

According to the captain's account, after passing over AK75, they entered the traffic pattern for runway 20. He noted that the approach angle was steeper than usual due to the surrounding terrain. Nonetheless, the visual cues suggested a touchdown near the threshold of the 3,880-foot runway.

During the landing, a slight bump was felt near the threshold, but it was not considered extreme. Subsequently, the aircraft's propellers were placed in reverse thrust, and the plane began to veer to the right.

In an attempt to correct the rightward deviation, the flight engineer applied asymmetric reverse thrust. For a brief moment, the aircraft maintained a straight path for about 2,000 feet before abruptly veering to the right, departing the runway, and completing a 180-degree spin.

The impact resulted in substantial damage to the fuselage of the aircraft. An inspection of the threshold of runway 20 revealed several 4-foot-tall piles of rocks and dirt.

The pilot reported that there were no mechanical failures or malfunctions before the accident that would have hindered normal operation.
Test

Picture and Video Clip Stats.
File Type: mp4 DouglasDC6.mp4 (2.39 MB , 849 views)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kellyhound For This Useful Post:
chris, Clubhouse, Desert Rat, durt, feb1199, Hunted, LrlynJy, William May, Yanni
Old 02-09-2020, 03:44 PM
William May
Offline:
♚ Legacy Gold Member ♚
Poster Rank:126
Male

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12267
You know it's a bad landing when your wheels are yelling "HEY! Wait for me!"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William May For This Useful Post:
durt, kellyhound, LrlynJy
Old 02-23-2020, 12:07 PM
tetzero78
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:13621

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
This seems like maybe the people hanging out on the runway may have played a role?
The Following User Says Thank You to tetzero78 For This Useful Post:
murofhsirgo
The Following Users Say Fuck Off To This Post By tetzero78:
Yanni
Old 03-03-2020, 04:00 AM
Yanni
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:10

Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
Quoted: 43304 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss86828
came in a bit short hoping to use every inch of that crappy runway, i guess
Old 03-03-2020, 11:13 PM
JustAnotherIdiot
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2589
Male

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss157
The pilot says his approach was steeper than normal???

Any shallower and he would be driving that DC from airport to airport!
Old 03-04-2020, 03:43 AM
ASweetOldMan
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:12910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanni View Post
came in a bit short hoping to use every inch of that crappy runway, i guess
100% agree. I was actually kinda surprised there was a berm there to begin with. It definitely looked like he touched down on what most people would consider "the runway," at least as far as such unfinished runways would go. One could question the decision to make such a shallow approach, but imo, the gear separated after landing, not on approach. I'm curious what others would say about that interpretation though.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:45 AM
JustAnotherIdiot
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2589
Male

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASweetOldMan View Post
100% agree. I was actually kinda surprised there was a berm there to begin with. It definitely looked like he touched down on what most people would consider "the runway," at least as far as such unfinished runways would go. One could question the decision to make such a shallow approach, but imo, the gear separated after landing, not on approach. I'm curious what others would say about that interpretation though.
If you watch the video in slow motion, you will see the mains smacking through the trees/bushes at least 100’ before he reached the berms.

The gear separated when he hit the berms. Which was easily 30-50’ before the left main touched the runway.

I kinda am of the belief that a “landing” is an intended and controlled contact with terra firma.

I doubt the pilot said “ya know, I want to minimize tire wear, so I’m gonna get the mains spinning by running them through the trees there, then I’m gonna pre-load the suspension by bouncing them off that debris before the runway.”

Saying the gear separated after landing is like saying Kolby’s helicopter “came apart upon landing in rocky terrain”

What seems more plausible is that the pilot could not judge the terrain properly from his perspective and didn’t/couldn't see the piles of dirt, probably fixated on the redneck gawkers who wanted to get the thrill of being close to a landing plane. Or being hidden by the trees he was flying through.

Of note: pilots often avoid trees... it seems they are denser than the surrounding air, which makes it difficult to maintain air speed.

One could argue that dragging his mains through the trees may have caused a loss of attitude/altitude making the plane sink sooner than desired.

The final report from the FAA will be “controlled flight into terrain”
Old 08-21-2020, 02:25 AM
murofhsirgo
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:351

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetzero78 View Post
This seems like maybe the people hanging out on the runway may have played a role?
Yeah, like piling four feet high with rocks and debris near the runway?