JavaScript and Cookies are required to view this site. Please enable both in your browser settings.
Several Different Pictures of Tarantulas

Several Different Pictures of Tarantulas

Current Rating:

Unlimited Views No Ads No Algorithms Lifetime Account

Documenting Reality

Community Forum · Est. 2006

Join Now
Thread Tools ▾
  #1  
● 07-01-2011, 02:01 PM
bloodgasm
Offline:
DR's Prom Queen
Poster Rank:63
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 24,482
 
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10536 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss24482
Several Different Pictures of Tarantulas

Anyone else have an interest in them??

I think they're awesome.. completely misunderstood, fascinating, and generally beautiful.

I got into the hobby of keeping them a few years ago and find them to be incredibly low maintenance, interesting, rewarding little pets.

Anyway, some general info from wiki:

Tarantulas (as the term is used in North America) comprise a group of hairy and often very large arachnids belonging to the family Theraphosidae, of which approximately 900 species have been identified. Some members of the same Suborder may also be called "tarantulas" in the common parlance.

Some genera of tarantulas hunt prey primarily in trees; others hunt on or near the ground. All tarantulas can produce silk—while arboreal species will typically reside in a silken "tube tent", terrestrial species will line their burrows with silk to stabilize the burrow wall and facilitate climbing up and down. Tarantulas mainly eat insects and other arthropods, using ambush as their primary method of prey capture. The biggest tarantulas can kill animals as large as lizards, mice, and birds. Tarantulas are found in tropical and desert regions around the world. Most tarantulas are harmless to humans, and some species are popular in the exotic pet trade. All tarantulas are venomous, but only some species have venom that, while not known to have ever produced human fatalities, can produce extreme discomfort over a period of several days.
wm_normal_p._metallica.jpg
176.0 KB ·905 views
SD532168.jpg
169.8 KB ·428 views
Avicularia_versicolor_9_Fh.jpg
344.7 KB ·1923 views
wm_normal_craddles_small.jpg
63.6 KB ·306 views
wm_normal_dsc_3207.jpg
131.6 KB ·419 views
wm_normal_pirmi9smal.jpg
106.0 KB ·290 views
wm_normal_P10503292.jpg
143.1 KB ·290 views
wm_normal_101e2103.jpg
154.6 KB ·325 views
wm_normal_e._murinus_002.jpg
156.6 KB ·293 views
wm_normal_img_6915b.jpg
165.3 KB ·664 views
SD532088.jpg
333.1 KB ·466 views
pnigricolor.jpg
126.2 KB ·445 views
Pornata_03.jpg
124.4 KB ·372 views
PornataClover_04.jpg
120.5 KB ·410 views
4309145692_ca29ff6671_o.jpg
261.1 KB ·403 views
Zeevafull.jpg
242.6 KB ·718 views
SD532160.jpg
273.1 KB ·462 views
db_Chromatopelma_cyaneopubescens__Green_Bottle_Blue_1.jpg
102.3 KB ·1497 views
▲ 13 Users Say Thank You For This Post:
Bastet, beepboop, boostedm10, docfr8, Eaton, gatagato, Geemonster, jander, Nite, powderblue, smackem, St. Geno, ZAPPO
▼ PROMO FROM DOCUMENTING REALITY
Your Easiest Financial Decision Today
Join Now
Hidden for upgraded members.
  #2  
● 07-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Bastet's Avatar
Bastet
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:399
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,046
 
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3046
Re: Several Different Pictures of Tarantulas

Tarantulas rock! I've been into them since I was a small kid but this far I haven't been able to have any of my own Gorgeous creatures indeed and those pics are absolutely stunning
▲ 2 Users Say Thank You For This Post:
beepboop, bloodgasm
  #3  
● 07-01-2011, 02:09 PM
RedneckR0nin's Avatar
RedneckR0nin
Offline:
goinggoingGONE
Poster Rank:34
I am a man yes I am and tell ya so
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 46,436
Contributions: 1
 
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 6610 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss46436
Re: Several Different Pictures of Tarantulas

I had a Rosie when I was 19 and knew absolutely nothing about them. It started to malt or whatever and I came home pissed to the gills. I thought he was hurt so I goobed him up with Polysporin. Needless to say he died the next day.
▲ This User Says Thank You For This Post:
bloodgasm
  #4  
● 07-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Zodiak's Avatar
Zodiak
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1333
mail.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 455
 
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss455
Re: Several Different Pictures of Tarantulas

I've always thought arachnids in general looked like aliens.
Good stuff.
▲ 2 Users Say Thank You For This Post:
bloodgasm, majestic-dork
  #5  
● 07-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Zodiak's Avatar
Zodiak
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1333
mail.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 455
 
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss455
Re: Several Different Pictures of Tarantulas

I've always thought arachnids in general looked like aliens.
Good stuff.
  #6  
● 07-01-2011, 05:30 PM
xXRockerGuyXx's Avatar
xXRockerGuyXx
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:751
Male
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,085
 
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1085
Re: Several Different Pictures of Tarantulas

I always wanted a pet tarantula as a kid right after I held one in my hands for the first time. I wasn't allowed though.
▲ 2 Users Say Thank You For This Post:
bloodgasm, Geemonster
  #7  
● 07-01-2011, 05:43 PM
bloodgasm
Offline:
DR's Prom Queen
Poster Rank:63
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 24,482
 
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10536 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss24482
Re: Several Different Pictures of Tarantulas

I always wanted a pet tarantula as a kid right after I held one in my hands for the first time. I wasn't allowed though.
Now's the time, then!
  #8  
● 07-01-2011, 05:44 PM
bloodgasm
Offline:
DR's Prom Queen
Poster Rank:63
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 24,482
 
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10536 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss24482
Re: Several Different Pictures of Tarantulas

Tarantulas rock! I've been into them since I was a small kid but this far I haven't been able to have any of my own Gorgeous creatures indeed and those pics are absolutely stunning
How come?
  #9  
● 07-01-2011, 06:35 PM
shady11
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:4291
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 70
 
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70
Re: Several Different Pictures of Tarantulas

In the 80s I was in the Marines. I brought out a little black tarantula from South America. He made the trip in a little Styrofoam cup. He adapted to the climate in the States very well. I would let him out with supervision at the office in my hut. He would sit on my shoulder while I was doing paperwork. Perfect little gentlemen. I had much traffic through my office just to hold Vlad the Impaler and keep him company. He was quite the hit. Everyone was always looking out for him catching the biggest and juiciest insects for him. He lived for two years and then one day he was gone. He was just a damn spider but everyone was bummed when he departed for better hunting grounds. Stay thirsty my friend!
▲ 7 Users Say Thank You For This Post:
beepboop, bloodgasm, hckr_wolf, Hvergelmir, Karma, lovelylucinda, mindgames17
  #10  
● 07-01-2011, 08:12 PM
smackem's Avatar
smackem
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:4
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 118,371
 
Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Quoted: 34616 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sss118371
Re: Several Different Pictures of Tarantulas

Fascinating to look through these pictures :D

I like it this way, Certified arachnopobe here!
▲ This User Says Thank You For This Post:
bloodgasm


Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2010 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO