Poster Rank:182

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss5502
Re: Spontaneous Human Combustion

have seen a couple of documentaries on this topic... still amazes me how people can burn up inside out..

Old 12-10-2010, 04:06 AM
joethurr
Offline:
My Rank: SECOND LIEUTENANT
Poster Rank:182

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss5502

very informative post btw!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:11 AM
kik
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:719
Male

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss754

Oh and for the record this is not my only source, my original source I read in a book many years ago, I have also seen the doco with the pig and read many bizarre theories put forward such as alcoholics are more prone because of the flammable content of what they drink. static electricity ball lighting that passes through walls and windows without doing any damage to any item except if a human is in its path then they are consumed etc.

The human mind can come up with some ripper excuses :)

A bit like that the Titanic didn't sink and instead it was her sister ship because the Olympic had sustained damage by being rammed buy another vessel and was beyond repair so they switched the names of the ships overnight and deliberately sank the Olympic.

You can look it up it is a funny read, you can also ask questions on the site, but if they make sense you wont get a reply :)

Old 12-10-2010, 04:26 AM
kik
Offline:
Male

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss754

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethurr View Post
have seen a couple of documentaries on this topic... still amazes me how people can burn up inside out..
Wrong way round joethur, they burn from the outside in.

Oh and just for the hell of it, I did not conduct any kind of experiment, but one of my cows was very ill and death was imminent so I shot her, I dragged her into my pit and covered her firstly with some old oil stained carpet I used in my workshop under my hoist (I suffer Achilles tendinitis) after that I used wood and some old tires and lit her up, she was diseased no question and I burnt her as fire is the worlds best cleaner to protect my dogs.

For the first time ever (I have burned over a dozen cows and sheep over the years) this fully grown cow was almost entirely gone, no head, no stomach pretty much just hooves.

after about two hours after igniting the fire all that was coming from my pit (which I can see from my house) was a almost pure white smoke, so white it looked like steam, I assumed it was from the small amount of rain we got, but now I think perhaps I inadvertently conducted my own wick effect.

By the time JC, from JC Plant Hire (not that J.C LOL) (my neighbor) came over to bury the remains 16 hours had passed and I was amazed as there really was nothing to bury, other then remnants of burns gone past old wheel rims, PC cabinets mainly steel, very little of the cow.

In the past after burning animals we have had to put up with our dogs bringing back legs etc, with this cow being diseased I wasn't taking that risk hence calling JC to fill in the pit, did I accidentally conduct SCC spontaneous cow combustion or my very own wick effect....again however no witnesses I was busy doing bathroom renovations to worry about looking at a stinking burning cow.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 AM
dooshman
Offline:
*Born Retard*
Poster Rank:61
Dude

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16098

All this explanation about spontaneous human combustion, you people are forgetting that the body is 75% water--in other words, we're like soaked sponges. Moreover, there's nothing flammable in the human body except a little fatty oil, which does not ignite on its own.

Focus your attentions on alien abductions. You'll get a bigger following!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:12 AM
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:161
Female

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss6120

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooshman View Post
All this explanation about spontaneous human combustion, you people are forgetting that the body is 75% water--in other words, we're like soaked sponges. Moreover, there's nothing flammable in the human body except a little fatty oil, which does not ignite on its own.

Good point.

I still stand by what I saw or read years ago. I remember a burnt body being found and upon further investigation a neighbour said they had seen the person not long before the body was found. I am not talking anything like 12 hours.

No one could explain how this person was walking around one minute, and just a short time later...poof...gone.

Another thing I remember them mentioning and not having an explanation for was the fact the the surroundings of the SHC person were untouched. The heat needed to burn a body to the degree they burn is apparently immense...but lightbulbs, plastic items and even newspapers alongside the body(s) never burned.

I will probably be off now to do more SHC research...I had forgotten about it all till this thread appeared.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 AM
richy_dong
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:322
Male

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2450

Never heard of this before. Very interesting

Old 12-10-2010, 11:03 AM
kik
Offline:
Male

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss754

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooshman View Post

Did you actually read all my posts Dooshman? if so you would have read about the almost pure white smoke coming from my burning cow, to burn bone to dust the temperature must be at or above 3000F water boils at 120F correct me if I'm wrong on the water figure, we are metric here, even so given that water boils / vaporizes above 100c (I'm happy with the metric system :) one can assume the white smoke was in fact super heated steam, steam is the reason the wick effect takes so long, a steam vapor reduces the amount of oxygen to the source thereby slowing the burning / smoldering, but as anything water vapor will find the fastest way to the surface, this will be via holes already produced by the smoldering corpse, while this is going on the unaffected areas will continue to smolder until all water vapor has dissipated and all that's left is oil tissue and bone.

As for the vanishing in minutes theory I have read up on that also, for the most part it would appear people have got no sense of time, either that or the scientific theory is untrue, but given what was left of my cow I tend to lean towards the wick effect.

SHC is renowned for leaving even straw filled chairs unburnt, no one person seems to be able to explain this to any certainty, so perhaps we still have a mystery.

I too will conduct further research.

Happy reading :)

Old 12-10-2010, 11:21 AM
kik
Offline:
Male

Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss754

Helen Conway. Image #3.
Helen Conway's remains 1964, Delaware County, Pennsylvania

Conway was an elderly, infirm woman who was a heavy and careless smoker. (There were many cigarette burns in her room.) She burned up while sitting in an upholstered chair in her bedroom. Why is this considered SHC? The fire chief said that's what he believed. He also said it only took 21 minutes for her to burn.* If it did, the wick effect would not account for how she burned. (Arnold uses some sort of "deduction" to figure out that it may have taken only six minutes for Conway's body to be consumed.) Since they can't figure out how Conway burned up in such a short time, both Arnold and Milton conclude it was probably SHC.

Joe Nickell speculates that the fire "may have begun at the base of the seated body and burned straight upward, fed by the fat in the torso, and may have thus been a much more intense fire - not unlike grease fires that all who cook are familiar with. Indeed, in searching through the dense smoke for the victim, an assistant chief sank his hand "into something greasy" that proved to be the woman's remains."*

Milton's research in this area is limited almost exclusively to Larry Arnold's book Ablaze!: The Mysterious Fires of Spontaneous Human Combustion, a book which features a blurb from Maury Povich on its back cover. Paranormal investigator Joe Nickell refers to this work as Spontaneous Human Nonsense.

The stories that Milton posts on his web site reveal his willingness to be dazzled by speculations about SHC. It is true that the examples he has chosen can't be explained by the wick effect because they are all of cases where the person in flames is come upon within a relatively short time of being on fire. The wick effect requires hours of slow burning. However, the evidence that any of these cases is actually a case of spontaneous human combustion is flimsy at best.

It would appear that the position of the body has a great deal to do with the expediency of which a body is consumed, perhaps this is the reason the lady was "just a short time later...poof...gone".

Still it appears the minimum time required for a non total burn is 5 hours.

Further reading tomorrow, eyes hurt 3:30 am OUCH!.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Rusty666
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:273

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3085