m

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2879 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8730
Election Day Shooting Near LA Polling Station

1 dead, multiple people shot near Azusa polling station as heavily armed assailant opens fire

One person was killed and at least three others were wounded Tuesday in an active shooting near a polling place in Azusa.

Authorities said police were dealing with at least one female suspect who was heavily armed. But several witnesses interviewed by The Times said the shooter was a man.

“This is an active situation,” said Azusa Police Chief Steve Hunt, adding it’s too early to determine whether the violence was in any way related to the election.

“It’s very early to tell what the motive is, but it appears to be concentrated on the residential side, not at the polling station,” Hunt added.

At least one of the victims was headed to the polling station to vote, a law enforcement source told The Times.

The shooting began about 2 p.m. after a report of gunfire in the 300 block of North Orange Avenue, Hunt said.

Officers arrived to find multiple shooting victims and a suspect with a rifle, he said.

The suspect was armed with an assault rifle with “a rapid fire capability,” Hunt said. Police don’t know if the rifle is fully or semi-automatic.

The shooter immediately fired at least 20 shots at police, said the source.

Under a hail of gunfire, officers took cover and returned shots at the assailant, who retreated into a home in the 500 block of Fourth Street, said the source, who requested anonymity because the case was ongoing. No officers were injured in the shooting.

“After the initial exchange of gunfire, there were victims down at the scene,” Hunt said. “We had to extract them from the scene.”

Officers had the shooter surrounded, and were evacuating the area, the source said.

“This is a very volatile and critical situation,” Azusa Police Officer Jerry Willison said.

Roberto Chavez, 67, and his wife were sitting outside on their porch when they saw a heavily armed man fire at least 10 rounds at a group of people.

Police quickly responded, Chavez said. About 20 officers swarmed into the neighborhood in the 600 block of West Fourth Street, he said.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1478655201674.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	709882

The gunman, who wore a white shirt and black pants, ran into a home about three doors down from Chavez’s house, he said.

Chavez said he recognized the man as someone who frequently visits and hangs out at his neighbor’s home. He didn’t know the man’s name. He said some of the victims appeared to be neighbors in the area.

Police told him to remain indoors because the gunman had barricaded himself inside a home.

“It’s a very dangerous situation,” he said.

Fabiola Moreno, 47, had just finished making a sandwich for her 5-year-old granddaughter and was walking to the living room where her granddaughter was watching television when she heard three gunshots.

“I thought it was just fireworks,” Moreno said, “But then I thought about it and it really sounded more like gunshots.”

Moreno walked outside of her home to look and saw a man dressed in a white T-shirt with a black vest and black pants. He was armed and was walking away from the parking lot of Memorial Park.

She said the man stopped to reload his weapon and noticed her.

“I just ran inside,” she said. “I secured the door, grabbed my granddaughter and ran into the bathroom, and we locked ourselves there.”

She said from inside, she heard police sirens and more gunshots.

“I don’t know if he shot at the police or they shot at him, but it was several gunshots,” Moreno said. “I was afraid a bullet would come through the walls of the house.”

Moreno spoke to The Times by phone while locked in the room.

Police said there appears to be someone “down” inside a house but did not provide further details.

Azusa Union School District issued a lockdown for Slauson Middle and Mountain View Elementary schools about 2:15 p.m., officials said. A nearby daycare center and preschool was also locked down.

Los Angeles County Registrar Dean Logan said the shooting affected two polling stations.

He urged voters to avoid the area and “if necessary, cast a ballot at an alternate polling location.”

SOURCE

gatagato, kellyhound, wmbondurant
Old 11-09-2016, 02:23 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Mudderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:7
Contributions: 549

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 2875 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
18/20 20/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss69924
Re: Election Day Shooting Near LA Polling Station

Quote:
A gunman was killed after he opened fire in an Azusa neighborhood Tuesday afternoon, killing one man and critically injuring two women, as well as prompting the closures of two polling places and a lockdown at a middle school.

It was unclear what prompted the 45-year-old suspect to start shooting, but family members told he was high on cocaine.

Police said two women, ages 59 and 67, were in critical condition and airlifted to local hospitals. One woman was shot in the face, the other woman suffered shots to her body, Sheriff's Lt. John Corina said. The male victim, who police said was the suspect's 77-year-old neighbor, died in the ambulance.

After being struck by a stray bullet, police said one of the female victims went running to neighboring houses screaming for help.

Police said an elderly couple was found in the back home located on the property of where the shooting took place, but they were not injured.

Five Azusa police officers, and one officer from neighboring Irwindale police, were involved in the shooting, but no officers were injured, Hunt said.

The suspect was found dead inside his home, according to police. It was immediately unclear if he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound or if he was hit during the gunfire exchange with police.

Early reports indicated police were searching for a female suspect, and a male suspect, but on Tuesday evening Azusa Police Chief Steve Hunt said the early reports of a female suspect were unfounded.

"We are still searching the area in nearby yards and houses to make sure there are no other suspects who were involved, and no other victims," Corina said in a news conference Tuesday night.

The motive for the shooting was under investigation, but drugs were a contributing factor, police said.

The Following User Says Thank You to kellyhound For This Useful Post:
wmbondurant
Old 11-09-2016, 03:41 AM
rapeWhistle
Offline:
$lave
Poster Rank:16
Hexadecaroon
Contributions: 77

Mentioned: 518 Post(s)
Quoted: 24817 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 14/20
Today Posts
6/11 ssss46188

#wall

The Following User Says Thank You to rapeWhistle For This Useful Post:
wmbondurant
Old 11-09-2016, 03:48 AM
Steve 1
Offline:
1095 DAMASCUS STEEL
Poster Rank:24
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 20061 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 6/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss34105

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeWhistle View Post
#wall
Great album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
I had an asshole, aka Zambini make an ad in the gay section of CL with my picture.