|
Community Forum · Est. 2006
|
#1
●
09-18-2008, 03:25 PM
|
|
Christian Spurling: Loch Ness Monster Photo 1934, the Surgeon's Photograph Hoax
A photograph published on April 21, 1934, purported to show the Loch Ness Monster raising its head and neck above the water in the Scottish Highlands. Col. Robert Kenneth Wilson, a London gynecologist, presented the image, which became widely known as the "Surgeon's Photograph." The image was staged using a Woolworth's toy submarine fitted with a head and neck sculpted from wood putty. Marmaduke "Duke" Wetherell organized the hoax after he was ridiculed over fake monster footprints. His stepson, Christian Spurling, sculpted the model, while Wetherell's son Ian took the photographs. Insurance agent Maurice Chambers passed the photographic plates to Wilson, who presented and sold the image. Researchers Alastair Boyd and David Martin obtained an account of the hoax from Spurling and made it public in 1994. The familiar cropped photograph shows only the model's head and neck, while a wider version reveals more of the surrounding water. Later claimed Loch Ness evidence included retouched underwater photographs from the 1970s and an image described as a flipper. Also covered here: Photographic Time Line
__________________ Support the site and our continued existance by upgrading to a Green Name |
|
#4
●
12-22-2008, 02:41 PM
|
|
Re: Christian Spurling: Loch Ness Monster Photo 1934, the Surgeon's Photograph Hoax
I was trying to find an underwater pic I saw on the news in the mid 90s and came across this other pic I had this pic in a "mysteries of the unknown" book, it was taking during an expedition in 1973. the pic I was looking for was of a flipper, similar to the one i added below from a 1970s expedition how ever it is said this fin pic below is a hoax |
|
#8
●
06-21-2010, 01:34 AM
|
|
Re: Christian Spurling: Loch Ness Monster Photo 1934, the Surgeon's Photograph Hoax
I always loved the idea of Nessie, especially since I'm a big fan of dinosaurs and mezozoic reptiles. Then I started reading about ecology and realised it makes no sense whatsoever.
|