Poster Rank:1406

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss287
Analysis of the Personality of Adolph Hitler

In 1943, the Allied forces wanted to understand Hitler's psychological makeup in order to predict, to the extent possible, his behavior as the Allies continued their prosecution of the war and to anticipate his response to Germany's defeat.

The Allies were also seeking to understand the German national psyche to gain an understanding of how to convert them into a "peace-loving nation."

This report was written for the OSS by Dr. Henry A. Murray, pre-war Director of the Harvard Psychological Clinic. Dr. Murray obviously was forced by circumstances to psychoanalyze his subject from a distance.

He gathered information from a variety of second-hand sources, such as Hitler's genealogy; school and military records; public reports of events in print and on film; OSS information; Hitler's own writings; Hitler biographies; and "Hitler the Man - Notes for a Case History," an article written by W.H.D. Vernon under Dr. Murray's supervision.

From these resources and his "needs theory" of personality, Dr. Murray created a psychological profile that correctly predicted the Nazi leader's suicide in the face of Germany's defeat.

With the benefit of hindsight and more than 60 years of scientific advances, one can appreciate this analysis of Hitler's personality and also catch a glimpse into an early application of personality psychology by one of the discipline's founders. Dr. Murray's Explorations in Personality (NY: Oxford Press, 1938) established personality psychology as a behavioral science. Murray explored a theory of personality in which the interplay of 20 psychogenic needs of varying strength produced distinct personality types.

Murray pegged Hitler's personality as "counteractive narcism," a type that is stimulated by real or imagined insult or injury. According to Dr. Murray, the characteristics<wbr> of this personality type include: holding grudges, low tolerance for criticism, excessive demands for attention, inability to express gratitude, a tendency to belittle, bully, and blame others, desire for revenge, persistence in the face of defeat, extreme self-will, self-trust, inability to take a joke, and compulsive criminality.

Dr. Murray concluded that Hitler had these characteristics<wbr> (and others) to an extreme degree and lacked the offsetting qualities that round out a balanced personality.

The language of needs theory may seem unfamiliar to today's readers since personality theory moved on to new terminology and theories.

However, Dr. Murray's writing style and descriptive language make this report as intelligible to the lay reader of today as to the World War II era psychologist.

Cornell Law Library is pleased to share this report, part of our Donovan Nuremberg Trials Collection, in its original format.

Attached Images

Picture and Video Clip Stats.
File Type: pdf Analysis of Personality of Adolph Hitler.pdf(21.26 MB, 2356 views)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PS I Hate You For This Useful Post:
chris, imi, iridopelma, mankindsdecadence, Nakatedonfelabrinak, neilwatt, sifnoothernames, slyksleevemuckyey
Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM
güttsfükk
Offline:
Super *********
Poster Rank:41

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22931
Re: Analysis of the Personality of Aldoph Hitler

nice post

Old 05-31-2015, 05:38 PM
lkduke3
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:767

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss748
Re: Analysis of the Personality of Aldoph Hitler

Thank You. Very good post. I'm on page 140 so far.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:21 AM
dalialilith
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1323
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss313
Re: Analysis of the Personality of Adolph Hitler

Excellent post

Old 05-14-2016, 08:42 AM
imi
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:461
male

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1591

Hitler own subordinates in a calm and polite man known in private life
Of course, who had read Mein Kampf is aware that Hitler was a pretty patriotic and aggressive guy who is very much hated Jews (not really tell you why)

Old 05-15-2016, 03:49 PM
luton loyal
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:117

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss9263

Old 06-28-2016, 09:35 AM
imi
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:461
male

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1591

compulsive criminality?

Hitler was militaristic which is the complete opposite criminalistics

The criminals are

- usually low intelligence, agressive persons
- most of them alcohol and drug addicts
- high percentage homosexuals
- and a high percentage of thoughts liberal without intrested any racial ideas
- Criminals are interested in getting easy money without any law or order, and living free and easy life

Hitler was

- agressive but only in political or military goals
- Hitler was intelligent
- rarely consumed alcohol
- not use drugs
- he wasn't homosexual (in fact he hated homosexuals who closed concentration camp)
- and he was absolutely not liberal, he was strict freak with strong nationalist and white supermacist with gigantic ideas

Otherwise, the credibility is in question of the foreign analysis, because Hitler's internal staff have known him truly
At that time there was no wiretapping or spycams which proves Hitler lived what kind privacy (in his subordinates in a calm and polite man known in private life)
The external personnel may recognize only a part of his being in the speeches and from the book of Mein Kampf

The Following User Says Thank You to imi For This Useful Post:
Greenfind235