Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss101
Singer George Michael Dead at 53

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.76695be1c611

George Michael, the British singer who rocketed to fame in the 1980s duo Wham! before embarking on a phenomenally successful solo career, died at 53, his publicist confirmed.

“It is with great sadness that we can confirm our beloved son, brother and friend George passed away peacefully at home over the Christmas period,” the publicist said in a statement. “The family would ask their privacy be respected at this difficult and emotional time. There will be no further comment at this stage.”

No cause of death was immediately known. The Thames Valley police said that they were called to a property early in the afternoon on Sunday, where a 53-year-old man was confirmed deceased. “At this stage the death is being treated as unexplained but not suspicious. A post mortem will be undertaken in due course. There will be no further updates from Thames Valley Police until the post mortem has taken place,” the police said in a statement.

Michael was an international pop icon in the 1980s who then became an even more successful solo act. He first found stardom with Wham!, the group that he formed with Andrew Ridgeley and that was responsible for infectious hits such as “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” and “Careless Whisper.”

The popularity of Wham! coincided with the beginnings of MTV, and Michael’s easy stage manner and sex appeal earned him legions of fans far beyond the United Kingdom. The duo broke up in 1986, five years after they burst onto the scene, and Michael’s solo work far surpassed the dominance of his pop group.

The London-born singer sold more than 100 million albums, including his 1987 solo debut, titled “Faith,” which sold 20 million copies; the title track became a gigantic hit. In his solo years, he became known as a more serious singer who had other smash songs such as “Father Figure” and “I Want Your Sex.”

“Michael’s post-Wham! solo debut, ‘Faith,’ offered a blueprint for future generations of boy band singers looking for a way out,” critic Allison Stewart wrote in The Washington Post in 2011, just as “Faith” was re-released. “The granddaddy of blue-eyed soul-pop discs, most of it has aged remarkably well, even the parts that were already awkward in 1987: The title track is pure, perfect pop; ‘I Want Your Sex,’ faintly ridiculous then, really ridiculous now, is still completely irresistible. Everything else is either as great (‘Father Figure’) or as wince-inducing (‘Monkey’) as you remember it.”

In 1998, Michael publicly came out as gay in an interview with CNN, a week after he was arrested for “investigation of misdemeanor lewd conduct” in a park restroom.

“I don’t feel any shame. I feel stupid and I feel reckless and weak for having allowed my sexuality to be exposed this way. But I don’t feel any shame whatsoever,” he told CNN, adding, “I want to say that I have no problem with people knowing that I’m in a relationship with a man right now. I have not been in a relationship with a woman for almost 10 years.”

Michael’s legal troubles continued throughout the years, as he was arrested for driving under the influence in 2007 and on charges of drug possession in 2008; in 2010, he was sentenced to prison after another drunken driving charge and possession of marijuana. He called his four weeks in jail “horrific” and vowed to get help, according to the Daily Mail: “It shook me out of my denial in a way that the others hadn’t.”

In the music world, Michael had been out of the spotlight for the past several years, save for an album in 2014 called “Symphonica,” which included live versions of his songs. He made occasional TV appearances, including on the first version of James Corden’s now-famous “Carpool Karaoke” sketch in 2011, as a skit for the Comic Relief charity.

In late 2011, Michael had a life-threatening bout of pneumonia that made it difficult to tour. “I’m a new man,” he told the British media after he recovered, adding, “I have an amazing, amazing life, and if I wasn’t spiritual enough before the last four, five weeks then I certainly am now.”

As news of Michael’s death broke, tributes started pouring in.

On Sunday, the Recording Academy said in a statement: “We are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of two-time Grammy Award recipient George Michael. During an influential career that spanned nearly four decades, George became one of the most beloved pop craftsmen and respected entertainers. From the enormous success he achieved with pop duo Wham! to his influential solo career, his extraordinary talent had a profound impact on countless entertainers worldwide, and his creative contributions will live on forever.”

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
3076.jpg  

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ghostxtiger For This Useful Post:
Bastet, exKitten, FunkPumpkin, gatagato, hal0mega, kellyhound, L1v1ngD3ad, morbid75, Oswald2001, Quetzalcoatl
Old 12-25-2016, 11:00 PM
FunkPumpkin
Offline:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poster Rank:279
Contributions: 9

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3312
Re: Singer George Michael Dead at 53

Gay-as-fuck, cool-as-hell. Compliments, both.

exKitten, hal0mega
Old 12-26-2016, 02:50 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Mudderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:7
Contributions: 549

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 2877 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
18/20 20/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss69935

it was indeed his last christmas. He had a great singing voice.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kellyhound For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, Bastet, BBKF, FunkPumpkin, gatagato, morbid75, Oswald2001, Quetzalcoatl
Old 12-26-2016, 03:42 AM
Bastet
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:359

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2356

I was just humming 'Faith' a couple of days back, so it feels a bit creepy to read about his death. I always had the impression he was a very fit person, so it shocked me to hear he's gone at the age of 53. RIP George, the pop music scene won't certainly be the same anymore.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bastet For This Useful Post:
exKitten, FunkPumpkin, gatagato, lozzy_ash, Oswald2001
Old 12-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Flapmon
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:274

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1932 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 7/20
Today Posts
5/11 sssss3390

I think there's a rumour that he died from AIDS like his boyfriend did a while back. Poor bugger..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flapmon For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001, shiverpudlian
The Following 2 Users Said Fuck Off to Flapmon For This Post:
meekamouse, Quetzalcoatl
Old 12-26-2016, 11:48 AM
Oswald2001
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:88

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 16/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss12729

I think he died of 'Altitude Sickness'.

For so much of his life he was a 'high flyer'.

When you live having so much of a 'mountain top' experience, it is hard/impossible to go back to less.

What's the point of going backward?

Depression followed by a 'checking out' is not that uncommon for people that were unable/unwilling to adjust to a 'normal' life after having experienced such an extraordinary life.

You know what you once had...and what you lost.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Steve 1
Offline:
1095 DAMASCUS STEEL
Poster Rank:24
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 20088 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 6/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss34154

I read he died of heart failure, being a heroin addict won't have helped matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
I had an asshole, aka Zambini make an ad in the gay section of CL with my picture.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 1 For This Useful Post:
FunkPumpkin
Old 12-26-2016, 10:20 PM
Nattie
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:2882
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss95

He died from heart failure I don't believe he was a drug addict they said prince was but the media talk bullshit the most talented stars die to soon

The Following User Says Thank You to Nattie For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001
Old 12-27-2016, 02:34 AM
Oswald2001
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:88

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 16/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss12729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattie View Post
He died from heart failure I don't believe he was a drug addict they said prince was but the media talk bullshit the most talented stars die to soon
From what I have read, he partied pretty hard - drinking & drugging - almost to the very end.

And he reportedly was addicted to heroin.

Plus, he had attempted suicide a couple of times in the last few years.

He was definitely firmly on the Amy Winehouse Self-Destruction Memorial Highway....which only leads to one destination.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oswald2001 For This Useful Post:
FunkPumpkin
Old 12-27-2016, 05:53 AM
Geemonster
Offline:
Obergruppenmemester
Poster Rank:11
Bloke

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 7074 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 15/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss55018

He obviously died of pneumonia a complication that HIV would make worse.