Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 PM
ctxkt69's Avatar
Poster Rank:625
i have a 8==>
Join Date: Jul 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1053
Deaths by Police in Cincinnati

here is a list of all of the deaths by police in cincinnati, oh in the last 16 years. some of the deaths sparked the 2001 cincinnati riots. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Cincinnati_riots

Feb. 1, 1995: Harvey Price, 34, killed 15-year-old Tesha Beasley with an axe and kept police at bay for four hours with a steak knife before he was shot by a SWAT team officer after first being sprayed with pepper spray and shocked with a stun gun. The officer was exonerated.

April 4, 1996: Darryll C. Price, 42, hit his head on the ground when police sprayed a chemical irritant in his face, tackled him and put shackles on his wrists and ankles. An autopsy revealed that Price's death was caused by "agitated delirium with restraint," a sudden death syndrome usually seen in mentally ill people or drug abusers. The officers were cleared of any wrongdoing.

Feb. 23, 1997: Lorenzo Collins, a 25-year-old Avondale man with a history of mental illness, escaped from a mental ward at University Hospital. He was armed with a brick, surrounded by 15 police officers. A Cincinnati officer and a University of Cincinnati officer both fired twice, hitting Collins three times. A Hamilton County grand jury declined to indict the officers but attacked procedures for dealing with the mentally ill. FBI and U.S. Justice Department investigations ended with no charges being filed. A civil lawsuit won Collins' family $200,000.

Feb. 2, 1998: Daniel Williams flagged down Officer Kathleen Conway. When she stopped, he hit her and fired four shots from a .357 Magnum into her legs and abdomen before seizing the wheel and shoving her into the passenger seat. Officer Conway, 23, shot Williams, 41, in the head with two shots from her service revolver. The shooting was ruled justified, Conway retired from the force.

June 3, 1998: Jermaine Lowe led police a chase through Over-the-Rhine and Corryville that ended when Lowe crashed into another car. A convicted felon who had broken parole and was sought for an armed robbery, Lowe leaned out the driver's door and unloaded his handgun in the direction of three Cincinnati police officers. Officers fired back, killing Lowe. Officers were cleared of any wrongdoing.

July 17, 1998: Randy Black, 23, was an education student at the University of Cincinnati when he robbed the Cinco Credit Union, where he was a member. He threatened credit union employees and demanded money. Officers chased Black down Clifton Avenue, where he threw a brick. Officer Joseph Eichhorn tried to arrest Black, but the man picked up a two-by-four dotted with rusted nails and lunged at the officer. Black was shot twice and died. An investigation found that Black had been armed with a handgun, but ditched the gun during the chase. Officer Eichhorn was cleared.

March 19, 1999: Michael Carpenter. 30, of Mount Airy, attracted officers' attention at a Northside convenience store because he was driving a car with expired tags. Police said Officer Michael Miller approached the car but Carpenter refused to get out and reached for the glove box. Officer Miller reached through the window and tried to pull Carpenter out. Carpenter drove about 15 feet, dragging Officer Miller and hitting a van. Officer Brent McCurley, behind Carpenter's car, fired nine times after he said he saw the backup lights come on. He shot nine times. Officer McCurley was exonerated by the U.S. Department of Justice, the county prosecutor and an internal police division investigation. The city's Office of Municipal Investigation and the independent Citizens Police Review Panel called the shooting unjustified. Officer McCurley received a written reprimand and was ordered to receive 40 hours of retraining. Officer Miller resigned.

Aug. 20, 1999: James King, 44, shot his gun during a Corryville bank robbery. He drove to a construction site on the University of Cincinnati campus off Martin Luther King Drive. He was shot after he got out of his car, gun in hand, and didn't drop it when ordered to do so. Officers Randy Webb, Rachel Folk, Jason Drach and Adrian Gibson were cleared.

Oct. 16, 1999: Carey Tompkins, 28, lost a struggle over his 9mm handgun with an officer in the hallway of a West End apartment building. Police were called to the building by his girlfriend, who said Tompkins had the gun pointed at her. Officer Craig Ball came face to face with Tompkins. The officer put his hand out to stop him and felt the handgun in his waistband. The struggle for the gun began -- ending with Tompkins being shot. Officer Ball was cleared.

March 14, 2000: Alfred Pope, 23, was hit by 10 of 26 bullets fired at him by Cincinnati police after he and another man robbed and pistol-whipped three people in the hallway of an Avondale apartment building. After a chase, Pope pulled out a 9mm handgun after a struggle. He pointed the gun at himself and then at the officers, who opened fire. Officer Kenneth J. Grubbs, Daniel Carder and Jason K. Lamb were cleared in an internal investigation.

Sept. 1, 2000: Courtney Mathis, 12, sneaked out of his parents' Bahama Terrace apartment and into the driver's seat of a relative's car. He drove to a Mount Airy convenience store on Colerain Avenue. Officer Kevin Crayon saw the boy and asked to see his driver's license. Courtney put the car in reverse. Officer Crayon reached into the car. Courtney sped off with the officer tangled in the steering wheel. Officer Crayon, 40, managed to pull out his gun and fatally shoot Courtney point-blank in the chest. He was killed when his head hit the exhaust pipe of a passing car. Both the Mathis and Crayon families came together and urged forgiveness.

Nov. 7, 2000: Roger Owensby Jr. suffocated as police tried to arrest him for outstanding warrants. Police spotted him at a Roselawn gas station. The 29-year-old College Hill man broke free and ran, but was tackled almost immediately. Police officers sprayed Owensby with a chemical irritant, handcuffed him and placed him in a cruiser. He was found unconscious a short time later. Two officers were indicted, but were not convicted. One, Blaine Jorg, quit the force. Patrick Caton, who was fired after the shooting but reinstated after arbitration, has since become a sergeant.

Nov. 8, 2000: Jeffrey Irons, 30, had been staying in an Over-the-Rhine homeless shelter when he went into the Pleasant Ridge IGA supermarket and allegedly stole deodorant and shaving cream. Rather than surrender, he grabbed a sergeant's gun and shot Officer Tim Pappas in the hand, another officer, Frederick Gilmer, shot and killed Irons.

Jan. 31, 2001: Adam Wheeler, 21, was wanted on three open felony warrants when he slammed his Corryville apartment door in the face of a police officer investigating a drug complaint. Wheeler allegedly screamed, "You want a war? You got a war." A large number of rounds were fired by Wheeler and the five officers on the scene.

April 7, 2001: Timothy Thomas, 19, knew he had more than a dozen misdemeanor warrants out for his arrest when he was spotted by two off-duty officers working outside The Warehouse nightclub on Vine Street. Twelve officer joined in a chase in Over-the-Rhine. Officer Steve Roach saw Thomas emerge from behind a building at the end of an alley on Republic Street and told authorities that Thomas was reaching for something in his waistband. Officer Roach fired one fatal shot, hitting Thomas in the chest. No weapon was found on Thomas. The shooting helped trigger riots that resulted millions of dollars in damage and a citywide curfew. Officer Roach was charged with negligent homicide but was not convicted and quit the force. He's now an Evendale police officer.

July 27, 2001: Rickey Moore, 21, whose family said he battled schizophrenia and manic depression, was shot in Millvale. His mother said then that she thought her son wanted to be killed by a police officer. He had been walking along Beekman Street with a shotgun, which he refused to put down when Officer Thomas Haas told him to. He yelled, "You want a piece of me, (expletive)? I'll kill you!"

Aug. 31, 2001: Brandon Lowe, 18, was shot by Officer Eddie Hawkins at the CinFed Credit Union in Roselawn after he pulled the trigger on his gun once and threatened to do it again. His face hidden with a white cloth, Lowe threw a pillow case over the teller's counter and told her to fill it. Hawkins ordered Lowe to put down the gun, but Lowe didn't and Hawkins fired.

Nov. 28, 2001: William Duncan, 37, was shot on Victory Parkway in Walnut Hills after pointing a BB gun at people. He had a history of mental illness. He refused to put the gun down and was shot.

Feb. 9, 2003: Andre Sherrer, 34, broke the front window of a Chase Avenue clothing store in Northside and ran from police for several blocks through alleys. He somehow got control of Officer Michael Schulte's baton and hit the officer with it before Schulte shot him. He had recently been released from prison after serving 14 years for aggravated robbery.

Nov. 30, 2003: Nathanael Jones, 41, obese and with drugs in his system, was marching like a toy soldier in a White Castle parking lot. Officers hit him many times with their batons before subduing him. The coroner ruled the death was caused by asphyxia because he was left lying on his stomach, but said obesity, an enlarged heart and drugs contributed. The incident prompted then Mayor Charlie Luken to order Tasers for all officers.

May 27, 2007: Qayyim Moore, 25, was shot and killed on Queen City Avenue after he was suspected of stealing ice cream from a United Dairy Farmers store. Moore fired too and police described the situation as a running gun battle. Moore's family told police he had mental problems.

Nov. 17, 2009: Randolph Ward, 27, was shot in an incident that began when he cut off an officer's cruiser in traffic. Officers pulled ward over on Kenard Avenue, but he lied about his identity, ran and fired at an officer, who ducked. Officers returned fire, killing Ward.

Sept. 18, 2010: Harry Seavey Jr., 51, was an enforcer for the Iron Horsemen motorcycle gang and had been advertised on fliers that read "Possible Hazard to Police." He was shot to death in the doorway of a Camp Washington bar in a shootout with officers. Two officers, whose names still have not been released, were hit by gunfire but survived.

Reply With Quote

Powered by vBulletin Copyright 2000-2010 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO