Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss5487
Free Joint For Athletes! Marijuana Marshaling to Be Softened by WADA

Quote:
The World Anti-Doping Agency has raised the threshold for a positive marijuana test, significantly reducing the likelihood of detection for athletes who use the drug. What this might mean for the PGA Tour is uncertain.

Under the Tour’s Anti-Doping Policy, enacted in 2008, cannabinoids – which include marijuana – is considered a recreational drug and not performance-enhancing. The Tour tests for the drug under an unknown threshold and holds players accountable, but a violation is considered as recreational, not performance-enhancing. Thus, any violation would not be publicly disclosed.

Tour spokesman Ty Votaw would not comment on WADA’s move, saying the Tour was made aware of the change Monday.

In a May 12 meeting of its Executive Committee and Foundation Board in Montreal, WADA focused on final revisions of the agency’s code, which is scheduled to be updated in 2015. WADA moved the threshold for a positive test for marijuana from 15 nanograms per milliliter to 150 ng/ml. That means that athletes who use marijuana weeks or months before an event would be far less likely to test positive under the revised threshold than those who would use the drug in the hours or days before competition.

“We wanted to focus on the athletes that abuse the substance in competition,” said Julie Masse, WADA’s director of communications, from her office in Montreal. “This should exclude cases where marijuana is not used in competition.”

Marijuana and cannabis have been deemed prohibited substances by WADA since the agency’s original list, in 2003. According to Richard Pound, an attorney who was WADA’s initial chief and still serves on the Foundation Board, the U.S. historically has regarded marijuana as an entry-level drug and not considered to be performance-enhancing. American sports officials lobbied hard for the drug’s ban in athletics.

“From a sports perspective, I was rather ambivalent (toward marijuana),” Pound said. “As we morphed into WADA, the USA was very keen to have it included.”

Under the former threshold, Pound said that an athlete who used marijuana a month before competition was likely to be detected, as was someone exposed to second-hand marijuana smoke two weeks before an event.

“The 150 threshold number seemed to satisfy the scientific community,” Pound said.

In March, during the third consultation phase of the 2015 code review, Edward Jurith, senior counsel of the U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy, urged that marijuana remain on WADA’s list of prohibited substances. According to Masse and Pound, discussions about removing marijuana as a banned substance have been ongoing since the list’s inception 10 years ago. A message left with Jurith at his White House office was not immediately returned.

Among the comments in the March consultation, WADA’s Athlete Committee posed: ”Can a threshold be looked at for marijuana? There is no desire to go soft on the list, but members want cheaters to be caught for cheating, not for recreational usage.”

Others within WADA had similar reservations about the competitive advantages of marijuana use by athletes.

College athletics, however, have gone in the opposite direction from WADA. In January, the NCAA changed its threshold number from 15 to 5, with the goal of detecting in-competition and out-of-competition use. A message left with the NCAA’s chief medical officer, Brian Hainline, was not immediately returned.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/marijua...212800987.html
http://golfweek.com/news/2013/may/14...nce-marijuana/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
260RS, bdjackass318, chefbob09, Kanda444, Ozzman, Sharon
Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 AM
260RS
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1718
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss188
Re: Free Joint For Athletes! Marijuana Marshaling to Be Softened by WADA

About time they saw reason! The only time Dope should be considered Performance enhancing is in Eating competitions and Video game tournaments.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 260RS For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, gatagato, Sharon
Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20103 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss49337

gatagato
Old 05-15-2013, 01:42 PM
GregK
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:313
male

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2473

Another brick crumbles on the wall that is the social stigma behind the doobige. I never got the pot testing in sports, If you smoke weed and perform better than i non-smoker wouldnt that make you a better athlete?

Not to mention the benifits a althete could benifit i.e muscle relaxer but it prob wouldnt help to smoke it though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GregK For This Useful Post:
bdjackass318, gatagato
Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51378

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260RS View Post
About time they saw reason! The only time Dope should be considered Performance enhancing is in Eating competitions and Video game tournaments.
Video gaming??? Hmmm....

Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Mr-Tape
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1641
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss201

The only reason CANNABIS is an "entry-drug" is because it's illegal. People who sell one illegal thing tend to sell other illegal things, thus your weed dealer is likely to suggest other actual dangerous drugs.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:34 AM
gatagato
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss5487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Tape View Post
The only reason CANNABIS is an "entry-drug" is because it's illegal. People who sell one illegal thing tend to sell other illegal things, thus your weed dealer is likely to suggest other actual dangerous drugs.
I'm so unlucky that I always have to go to different dealers whenever i need to buy different drugs