female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss51
Our Unsolved Family Murder of Maggie & Mary Jenkins

Maggie and Mary Jenkins were my Aunts who were murdered a few years before I was born. For a while Ted Bundy was a suspect because he was killing in that same area, but DNA testing ended up eliminating him. They were both redheads though and that didn't really fit his MO.

As of today even, with the DNA sample in the system no match has yet to be found and my family is still left wondering.

Quote:
It was spring 1973, when hitchhiking was common practice for young people with somewhere to go and no car to drive there.
Name:  jenkins.jpg
Views: 2532
Size:  22.2 KB

Maggie and Mary Jenkins were sisters, just 18 and 16 years old. The former North Scranton Junior High School students' journey to Key West was supposed to be a carefree break soaking in the Florida sun. The sisters, who had grown up in Scranton, were last seen hitchhiking back to their parents' home in suburban New Jersey.

They never returned, and their deaths remain a mystery.

"The Keys, especially in the 1970s, were very transient," said Detective Mark Coleman of the Monroe County, Fla., Sheriff's Department.

"Two teenage girls, hitchhiking ... you can imagine the dangers."

They were found dead together in an isolated, wooded area of Key Largo on May 3, 1973, about 100 miles from Key West off Route 1, a road that links the scattered coral islands with one another and the mainland.

"They were my best friends," said their older sister, Sarah Jenkins Barlow, in a recent phone interview from her home in Wilmington, Mass. "Every place we went, we went together.

"I wonder what would have happened if I (had gone) with them," said Ms. Barlow, who was 19 when she learned her sisters had been murdered.

Detective Coleman was given the job of trying to piece together the crime, considered a cold case, several years ago.

The sisters were last seen hitchhiking a few miles from Key West, apparently trying to get back home, the detective said.

Flipping through the case file, he learned that Maggie and Mary were shot multiple times and it appeared they had been sexually assaulted. A man walking his dog found their bloodied bodies covered with sticks and leaves.

Last year, investigators armed with the latest technology took a closer look at specks of male DNA found on the sisters' bodies.

"We do have some workable and viable evidence that is being looked at right now," Detective Coleman said, although the DNA is very degraded, making it difficult to link to a suspect.

Scranton roots

Ms. Barlow said their father, Thomas Jenkins,had deep ties to Northeast Pennsylvania, where his father had been coal miner in Lackawanna County.

Due to some rough times for the family during their younger years, Maggie and Mary spent many years living in Scranton, where they were raised by aunts and uncles.

Ms. Barlow remembers visiting her sisters in Scranton, where they would talk the day away about "boys they had crushes on." Mary would show off awards she won in gym class, while Maggie loved horses.

"She used to say she was going to have a farm and have hundreds and hundreds of horses," Ms. Barlow said.

Investigators have struggled to solve the case - which remains open - because of where the sisters were killed and because they were hitchhiking, making them easy targets for random strangers who could easily flee, Detective Coleman said. Because Route 1 is the only highway connecting the Florida Keys, it is very busy with tourist traffic.

In 2007, a suspect from St. Louis voluntarily submitted a sample of his DNA, but it did not match what was found on the girls, Detective Coleman said.

DNA recovered from the sisters' bodies was recently sent to a state crime lab and reviewed by the FBI to see if it could be linked to any convicted serial killers. Ted Bundy, who went on a killing spree of young women in Florida the 1970s, was eliminated as a suspect. So was Christopher Wilder, another serial killer who targeted women in Florida.

As investigators continue to seek answers, so does Ms. Barlow.

"How could someone hurt them?" she still asks herself. "How could someone do that?"

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to rosiereal For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, dasplague, DeeMarieGK, EMason88, gatagato, hca66, heathen_saint, Idaho Tatters, JohnFrash, kellyhound, Kelseecat65, Leahdc, LiquidSky, Megamel29, morbid75, mord95, Nakatedonfelabrinak, Photoplay, Pigeon, SammySausage, Sassical, Sterlig, Tini, True life, U2Addict, vagabond, WhatAClumsyGirl
Old 10-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Johnny Wadd
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:404
Male

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1993
Re: Unsolved Family Murder

Pick a name of a scumbag with an MO that is similar:

Oba Chandler springs to mind

And may your Aunties be resting in peace,bless you Rosie

2die4jess, Azimuth, Da1, DeeMarieGK, JohnFrash, Kelseecat65, morbid75, Photoplay, Pigeon, SammySausage, Sassical, Sterlig, WhatAClumsyGirl
Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:32
Contributions: 37

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Quoted: 11860 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss28138

Awesome post, Rosie. I hope this gets solved in your lifetime.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
harleykitten, Photoplay, Pigeon, vagabond, WhatAClumsyGirl
The Following Users Say Fuck Off To This Post By Kelseecat65:
GeneralChen
Old 01-13-2014, 05:35 AM
miklos
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:17179

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Good luck to you, its awful that someone could do that to another person. :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to miklos For This Useful Post:
U2Addict
Old 01-15-2014, 05:49 AM
mandragora
Offline:
Poster Rank:5009

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss37

Oba Chandler does sound possible. 2 girls, one killer. Another comes to mind: Bobby Joe Long?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandragora For This Useful Post:
DeeMarieGK, DonB, U2Addict
Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 AM
U2Addict
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2241
eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour 2018 28 May Atlanta!!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss141

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandragora View Post
Oba Chandler does sound possible. 2 girls, one killer. Another comes to mind: Bobby Joe Long?
OMG, Oba Chandler. That fat somebitch. I beLIEve his last words were before his execution were, Kiss my rosy red ass, or, that's what he initially said he was going to say.
I know he lived in the Tampa St. Pete area, right?
The Rogers wife, mother and two girls was so sad. I felt so bad for their husband and father. He is a super nice guy, honest and very hard working.

Bobby Joe Long, this asshole needs to be executed yesterday. He's been appealing for years. F*&kin coward!
He lived in the Tampa area too. I have always wanted to wipe that smug grin off his ugly mug with a flame thrower but they will not let me.

I know its said these two started killing in the 80's. They are/were at the age where they could have done it, but Chandlers mo was the water and his boat. Hmmm.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to U2Addict For This Useful Post:
DeeMarieGK, flower130
Old 10-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Aussiegirl
Offline:
Poster Rank:4854
Female

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss40
Re: Our Unsolved Family Murder of Maggie & Mary Jenkins

How about Henry Lee Lucas. He committed some murders in Florida. Or Gerard Schaeffer. I know he was arrested just 4 days after these girls were found, but he still could have done it, and he was known for taking 2 girls at a time. Anyway, so sorry this happened to your family, and I hope it's eventually solved.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aussiegirl For This Useful Post:
harleykitten, Johnny Wadd
Old 10-13-2015, 08:14 PM
Photoplay
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:501
Female
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1402

I too hope this is eventually solved in your life time. I know firsthand the pain of losing someone like this. Thinking of you and your family Rosie.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Photoplay For This Useful Post:
DeeMarieGK, WhatAClumsyGirl
Old 10-16-2015, 01:00 PM
souris
Offline:
SpanMan!
Poster Rank:113
guy

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss9853

Old 01-03-2016, 05:01 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:308
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2908

That's awful. I hope they find who did this. Forensics keeps getting better. In cases like this sometimes we have to wait for our technology to advance enough to work with the evidence we have. I'm so sorry. I'm sure this is still hard for your family.