Abandoned Hospital Brownsville Pa
The Brownsville General Hospital was located at Fifth Avenue and Church Street in Brownsville, Pennsylvania, closing in 1965. Afterwards, the buildings were used for the Brownsville Golden Age Nursing Home before shuttering in 1985 due to state and federal investigations that uncovered serious deficiencies.
Early medical intervention involved a trip to the local doctor or by rail or boat to McKeesport or Fairmont. The first proposal for a hospital came in 1908 from the Reverend E.M. Bowman, local citizens and medical professionals.5 7 After two years of planning, the group secured a charter from the state for a new hospital, which included in part that “the hospital is to care for those injured in accidents in the coal mines, coke ovens, railroads, and other industrial enterprises, regardless of race, sect or creed.”7
A fundraising campaign was held, which brought in $10,000 towards the construction of the hospital.7 A location was chosen at Fifth Avenue and Church Street, the site of the former Brownsville Public School which had just been razed. A second fundraising drive brought in $32,000 and several government appropriations were secured, but it was still not enough to construct the entire building. But seeing the dire need for a hospital, a contract was awarded to the Charleroi Lumber Company with the provision that construction would continue as long as the money remained in the bank account.
Despite the hospital being under construction, the facility began admitting patients in July 1914.5 7 The building was not completed until 1916 thanks to an additional fundraising campaign raised an additional $120,000; the extra funds also allowed for a surgical ward to be built.7 A nurses home was erected in 1920,8 but it was not long until the facilities were becoming overcrowded, with the home handling as many as 40 nurses at a time.
Another fundraiser was held in 1923 which brought in $100,000.7 Over $100,000 in funding came from Joseph Horner, partner in the Horner Coal Company, who ”bequeathed a large sum of money to Brownsville General Hospital” when he died in 1926.8 As a result, construction for a larger nurses home began in September 1928,5 8 and in late-July 1929, the Horner Medical Nurses Home was dedicated.8 It became known as the Brownsville General Hospital’s School of Nursing 7 and was finished at a cost of $135,000 (fixtures added $15,000)
The new nurses home was constructed of Indiana limestone and buff brick. The first floor contained ten bedrooms, a reception room that extended across the entire front of the building and two libraries. A Indiana limestone mantle was constructed at the west end of the parlor. The second and third floors were nearly identical, each containing 15 bedrooms, a large bathroom, and closets. The basement featured a gymnasium, demonstration room, lecture room, sewing room, kitchen, trunk room and boiler room. A sun porch was built on the roof of the home.