Quoted: 27970 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
9/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss47806
Re: 1984 Bobsleigh Track Sarajevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Me too, not much to explore around these parts.
I could think of a couple spots around those parts to explore.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:14 PM
PTSD Is My Life
Offline:
Your Mothers Nightmare...
Poster Rank:304
Male

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2788

This place holds bad memories for many as it was frequenly used as protection by the sniper teams surrounding the city.

At the top of the hill where the white building is is where many people where tortured and ultimately shot for entertainment value mostly. Along with short drop hangings in the medal photograph area (a C shaped wall that they put a wooden beam on top of and slowly hung people snatched from the town below.

The whole area is (or at least was) covered in trenches, bunkers and minefields. Many of the mined areas are on the steep hillside with no acurate maps as the mines where just thrown down the embankment.

I dont know if you can still see them but you used to be able to see many of the trenches etc on Google Earth.

I was in the city when they discovered the body of a man who had died in the insulation on the roof of the ice skating areana (where Torvil and Dean from the UK won gold). They believe he may have crawled up there either to hide or to try and keep warm during the savage cold of winter.

His body had mummified.

Whilst there I often slept in the crowded former Olympic athelites hotel.

I think I would like to go back and visit but I don't know as it holds some very bad memories. I will never forget what they called they called the "Sarajevo Rose" where they filled in the mortar splats at the market place and bread cue attack sites with blood red tarmac....I wonder if they are still like that?

A beautiful country and people destroyed by political chest thumpers.

Siegfried Sassoon

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PTSD Is My Life For This Useful Post:
durt, Kelseecat65, King Herald, LadyCPlum
Old 12-30-2013, 06:24 PM
PTSD Is My Life
Offline:
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2788

Examples of the "Sarajevo Rose"

Siegfried Sassoon

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PTSD Is My Life For This Useful Post:
Bletch, durt, Kelseecat65, King Herald, LadyCPlum
Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 PM
durt
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:74
male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3167 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss14247

Interesting pics, thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to durt For This Useful Post:
Kelseecat65
Old 12-31-2013, 01:23 AM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:30
Contributions: 33

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 11755 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27743

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSD Is My Life View Post
This place holds bad memories for many...
Wow, thank you for that information.
That really makes looking at the photos even more eerie.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
Bletch, durt, King Herald, LadyCPlum, PTSD Is My Life
Old 12-31-2013, 02:39 PM
Jere
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:75
one eyed monster

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss14100

Old 10-23-2016, 06:48 AM
murofhsirgo
Offline:
★ Legacy Member ★
Poster Rank:389

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1997

Now that was friggin' cool, thanks!

Old 09-11-2017, 05:08 AM
Bletch
Offline:
Hate keeps me warm.
Poster Rank:210
Male

Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 sssss4732

Fascinating!

Old 09-12-2017, 08:31 PM
PTSD Is My Life
Offline:
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2788

Ping from the mailbox and this old thing pops up!
I've just had a complete mind blast from the past (aided of course by my PTSD, based on my experiences during this vicious war and the hidden civil war that claimed probably more lives.
There where three main sides and they fought each other in military battles and the families back home where left fighting a civil war on the side lines.....a seriously fucked up civil war, the military where at best, very good, at worst, they helped the militia and the genocide of the lowest of the three populations in the local areas that the greater nations wanted.
Greater Serbia
Greater Croatia
And the survival of the multicultural haven Yugoslavia had become. For generations they had lived in relative peace, then Tito came after the horrors committed by Serbs and Croats and took control and made sure not one side had a problem with another... so you had orthodox (Serb) catholic (Croatian) and the Bosniac the Bosnian Muslim, sadly I fear these beautiful people are a dead race after the war. Places of worship for all, he was communist but agreed the population needed religion. Each police station had both Serb or Croat and Bosniac (Muslim) police at the same station. The system worked.
Religions intermingled, celebrated each other's holidays and even married both continuing with their chosen religion. Children chose which way they wanted to go when older without predjudice, he was your neighbour, you'd gone through school with him played and worked with him, he'd chosen his mother or fathers religion so what....then they partied....they really partied.

Then Tito Died and with him, his iron fist created utopia died as well.
If there was ANY rumblings of nationalism, be it Catholics (Croat) Orthadox (Serbian) Muslim (Bosniacs) he sent in his boys. Police and everything had equal colleagues of all nations, they worked hard to maintain the peace and where tucking brutal if they kicked off (Serb or Croats overpowering or oppressing the Muslim community, and it was inevitably one of the Serb majority if in the north and Croatian if in the south he wouldn't stand for it.
Complete equal religious opportunities. No man woman or child would be victimised under Titos regime.
His very loyal multicultural police force dealt with each side as harshly as the other. If an aggressor was identified he would be punished in open local court.

You just didn't do it.

When the Croats and the Serbs both went for the land grab there was a third group known as the Bosniacs or Bosniaks these are often referred to as the Muslims or Bosnian Muslim community that I'm sure I will have receded to.

These people, The Bosniacs are the section of Yugoslavia who liked the multicultural nature of life they had lived under Tito and wanted to create a nation known as Bosnia, where religion meant everything to everyone, because I believe almost every Yugoslavian followed a religion but your religion didn't matter to anyone else.

More like supporting different football teams or more like Football or Rugby, me I'm a rugby man, football means nothing to me, but I totally get it that's you'll follow your team "religiously"....... you don't care for Rugby but you know certain nights I'm going to be watching Rugby like it's about to announce the second coming of the long haired sandal wearer...earlier than flip flops and mopeds, so no photos, not the goat herder, camel shagger one so your celebatrations where different nights to mine.
They fought hard to stop the Serbs and the Croats take over their country, this is where the dirty fighting came. The Serbs and Croats would go into a happy mixed community and just evict the other side. Often against their neighbours wishes, they shot those people quicker than anyone....fuck that, we're happy living together shit...one side or the other..oh and no space for your Muslim neighbours so get rid of them or your a traitor.
I worked often with these Bosniak/Bosniac people they where fighting for freedom from dictation by a take over from their bigger neighbours. There was a dirty, dirty underside to this war.

Terrible things where hidden by military battles, militia would massacre whole communities...they fought for freedom from religious oppression, from ownership of the Othrodox Serbian forces or the Roman Catholic Croatian forces.
They fought for their freedom, and fuck did they fight hard.
They died hard too.
This is part of what plays with my mind.
It replays memories from these or other times.
The holes in the walls of the sleigh run, each one was a snipers nest.
From that hole he would have command over life and death of no military targets, no, civilians of unknown ethnic origin, because is the case of Sarajevo the Serbs and Mostar the Croats but if I'm wrong I stand corrected. I'm currently typing this as a grounding technique for my PTSD.

If your still here, thank you, I've just had a whole series of real life memories flash back, from a shitty underbelly of that war.
The kind of things people play on computer games and pause for dinner/work/whatever done seen, heard, smelled.
The sound of single shots in the woods to the side of the road at an illegal roadblock you've been sent out to deal with. We refered to ourselves as the Special Needs Unit. People let us in and out of camps and looked, no stared at us. Are, are, err are you guys special forces? We'd laugh and say no mate, more like Special Needs Unit!! But we got the job that needed doing, done. No ifs no buts, it got done.
Now I'm not talking military units running road blocks with big old artillery here I'm talking pieces of fucking trash Militia robbing, raping and killing often their own neighbours, the gunshots would be the executions of every male of potential fighting age, now or in the next 5 years or so...
That's one place my head goes...there are others...

Our job was to just go and fucken get these cunts out of the road, convoys needed to get through and because they are militia no one will make a fuckin decision....driver follow my directions, go...
It was a dirty, dirty war and we witnessed some bad things.

Some very, very bad things.

Often done by things that you could barely class as human.

I went out and got wasted with a mate of mine when it was confirmed Arkan had been taken out. By, I was told at the time and there believe more thanything that's written since by "The French".
We suspected Foreign French Military type people there's a few of them... at least a Legion of them.

He and his scum woman where celebrated deaths in my circle of colleagues

And head is slowly slowly slowing down from the whirl wind that is my PTSD.
I imagine it's just mostly ramble, it may and probably makes no sense but I was there, I witnessed this and it is part of what plays on or should I say plays with my mind.

Love me or hate me, that's fine.
Just helped me fight through this one from the old post popping up.

But look at them, each hole a person lay day and often night and killed unknown civilians.
The one with paint all over it may very well be the one I heard of back in the day. They cleared all the small trees from the area put a hole in the wall and covered it in paint so if you could see it from town.

The bright colour in a white snow covered land would ensure you cause maximum terror without firing a shot from it. Whilst everyone was worried about that one they used many other more covert ones vicious cunts they where in deed...vicious little cunts.
Mostar and the Croats... just as disgusting behaviour by militia behind the military front lines

Hope your all well, I'm pretty good. Major fuckup with local hospital. Aside and usual pain I'm good and I hope everyone is doing ok out there

Charlie

Siegfried Sassoon

Old 09-12-2017, 08:43 PM
PTSD Is My Life
Offline:
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2788

It's a PTSD themed biggy, if it's not your thing sorry, just walk on by.
I know a few on here who know a little more than most and at least one or two of them suffer from or support those of us who do.
My PTSD just happens to be Military.

My diagnosis is:

Severe Complex Combat Specific Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

So you might get to see what maybe the guy up the road from you does every day.

This is my life.

Smackem I think you once commented about "get rid of the attention grabbing name and I'll talk to you.

It's not attention grabbing, it's what I suffer all day every day.
Then there's the needing to be alert around 0328. That when I was hit and I remember nothing but waking up in fucking agony in an armoured watch tower. I was climbing the vertical ladder with full military kit up to the watch tower but have no memory after checking the time just as I started to climb. 03:28

Next thing my worlds fucked right up

It's not attention grabbing fella, not in anyway, it's the truth.

Sadly the truth is that. PTSD Is My Life.

Siegfried Sassoon