Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 12/20
Today Posts
11/11 sssss2601
Rutger Hauer dead at 75

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/07/24/ent...ead/index.html

Quote:
Rutger Hauer, a dashing Dutch actor who battled Harrison Ford in the science-fiction classic "Blade Runner" and excelled in bad-guy roles, died July 19 after a short illness, his longtime agent Steve Kenis told.

Hauer was 75.

An AIDS charity with which the actor was involved, the Rutger Hauer Starfish Foundation, said he died peacefully at his Dutch home. The charity said his wife, Ineke, will carry on its work.
Hauer was largely introduced to American audiences by "Blade Runner," which cast him as a murderous synthetic human, or replicant, named Roy Batty.

Hauer's closing monologue, in which the character discusses all the things he has seen, is especially memorable. Of working with director Ridley Scott, the actor later said, " I understood, on a very strong level, what he wanted, and by instinct I gave it to him."

The tall, blue-eyed actor frequently appeared in period pieces, subsequently playing an accursed knight opposite Michelle Pfeiffer in the movie "Ladyhawke," and a villainous rogue in the medieval drama "Flesh + Blood."

The following year, Hauer portrayed a sadistic hitchhiker in "The Hitcher," a popular horror film. He worked steadily through the '80s, '90s and thereafter, including parts in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," "Sin City" and "Batman Begins," in which he played the corrupt executive running Bruce Wayne's family business.

In his later years the actor moved seamlessly between movies and television, including a role in the HBO vampire drama "True Blood."
Hauer launched his career working with director Paul Verhoeven in the 1970s, who cast him in the movies "Turkish Delight and "Soldier of Orange." (Verhoeven later considered him for the lead in the movie "RoboCop," which ultimately went to Peter Weller.)

Hauer also turned down a role in the memorable German movie "Das Boot," about a submarine during World War II, saying in a 2018 interview in regard to the scheduling, "If I'd done 'Das Boot' I would never have been in 'Blade Runner.'"

On Twitter, director Guillermo del Toro called Hauer "an intense, deep, genuine and magnetic actor that brought truth, power and beauty to his films."

Aries85, Dr Thrumpkinz, Dragonlady66, JESUS, William May
Old 07-24-2019, 03:56 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Mudderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:8
Contributions: 612

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3668 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 20/20
Today Posts
10/11 ssss61559
Re: Rutger Hauer dead at 75

i remember him from the hitcher and bladerunner.
75, not that old

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kellyhound For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001, Suicide_Note, Teon
Old 07-24-2019, 10:19 PM
HeyJealousy
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:352
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 4/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2592

This hits me hard. I knew him mostly from The Hitcher and Blade Runner, and a few B-movies here and there but he always seemed to steal the show.

RIP.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:23 PM
HeyJealousy
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:352
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 4/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2592

He was in this one "made-for-TV" thriller, where he portrayed the protagonist in a role that was out of the norm for him. But he did a fine job there, he played alongside Eric Roberts (who was typical Eric Roberts). Hauer portrayed a fisherman who ran into an old friend from high school; Hauer and Roberts hit it off again and went on a boating trip, bringing their wives along with them. Turns out Roberts' character was on the run from the law, and quite the maniac, and his wife wasn't much better off.

Can't seem to remember the title, but it was definitely Hauer & Roberts.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:16 AM
augmented
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:523

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 sssss1427

Rutger! Nobody lives forever but it's a shock when it's one who was so strong and vital onscreen. I read he improvised his Time to Die lines and when the director yelled Cut everyone applauded and some were crying.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:34 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Mudderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:8
Contributions: 612

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3668 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 20/20
Today Posts
10/11 ssss61559

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJealousy View Post
He was in this one "made-for-TV" thriller, where he portrayed the protagonist in a role that was out of the norm for him. But he did a fine job there, he played alongside Eric Roberts (who was typical Eric Roberts). Hauer portrayed a fisherman who ran into an old friend from high school; Hauer and Roberts hit it off again and went on a boating trip, bringing their wives along with them. Turns out Roberts' character was on the run from the law, and quite the maniac, and his wife wasn't much better off.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:25 AM
Joseman
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:29154

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJealousy View Post

Voyage was the movie, from 1993