Contributions: 2

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss860
The Real Silent Hill Town

Me, being from Pennsylvania, never got to actually go visit this town yet but one day i will!

Centralia, Pennsylvania was never a particularly large community, but it was once a lively and industrial place. At its peak the coal mining town was home to 2,761 souls, but today the population of its cemeteries far outnumbers that of its living residents. The series of events which led to the community’s demise– slowly diminishing its numbers to less than a dozen– began about forty-four years ago.

In 1962, workers set a heap of trash ablaze in an abandoned mine pit which was used as the borough’s landfill. The burning of excess trash was a common practice, yet at that particular time and place there existed a dangerous condition: an exposed vein of anthracite coal. The highly flammable mineral was unexpectedly ignited by the trash fire, prompting a quick effort to put it out. The flames on the surface were successfully extinguished, but unbeknownst to the fire fighters, the coal continued to burn underground. Over the following weeks it rapidly migrated into the surrounding coal mines and beneath the town, causing great concern.
Soon the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resources began monitoring the fire by drilling holes into the earth to determine the extent and temperature of the fire. In retrospect, it was realized that the well-meaning workers may have unwittingly provided the fire with a natural draft by drilling these boreholes, feeding the coal’s combustion. As a precaution, the Department also installed gas monitors in many homes within the affected area, but nonetheless many residents complained of symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure.

In 1969– seven years after the fire was started– a more involved effort was made to contain the fire using trenches and clay seals, but the attempt was met with failure. In the 1970s, concerns over the severity of the extensive subterranean fire were stirred when a gas station owner noticed that the contents of his underground fuel storage tank seemed hot, so he measured the gasoline’s temperature, and found it to be a troubling 180 degrees Fahrenheit.

Numerous attempts were made to extinguish or contain the underground fire over the next two decades. The mines were flushed with water and the burning coal was excavated, but despite the persistence of the workers, their efforts were unsuccessful. The work continued for years at a great expense, with no appreciable progress.

After burning beneath the surface for almost twenty years, the fire drew national media attention when the ground crumbled beneath the feet of twelve-year-old Todd Domboski in 1981. The sinkhole– about four feet wide and 150 feet deep– had sufficient heat and carbon monoxide concentration that it would have killed the boy had his cousin had not been there to help pull him to safety. It was not the first nor the last sinkhole caused by the fire, but it was the most sobering.

At that point, about seven million dollars had been spent in the firefighting effort. Experts determined that the only option remaining to effectively battle the fire would be a massive trenching operation, at the cost of about $660 million, with no guarantee of success. Left with such limited options, the state of Pennsylvania basically condemned the entire town, and spent $42 million in government funds relocating most of its residents.

The fire still burns today beneath about four hundred acres of surface land, and it’s still growing. There is enough coal in the eight-mile vein to feed the fire for up to two hundred and fifty years, but it may burn itself out in as few as one hundred years. A few residents remained in the borough after the buyout, but their numbers have dwindled since then to about a dozen. Most of the unoccupied homes and buildings have been razed, and large portions of the town are being reclaimed by nature, leaving meadows crisscrossed with overgrown asphalt roads and the occasional steaming or smoking hillside.

In its prime, Centralia was a vibrant community with five hotels, seven churches, nineteen general stores, two jewelry stores, and about twenty-six saloons. Today it is a modern ghost town whose guts have been burned out, and whose main path of ingress has been closed and detoured. Residents are expected to return in 2016 to open a time capsule which was buried in the town in 1966, back when the town’s future was still somewhat optimistic. Its future now is decidedly more grim… There are currently no further plans to extinguish the fire, and most modern maps no longer show a dot where Centralia once stood.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
20510-centralia-pa-coal-fires_jpg_full_600.jpg  

1505970514_ef2c051168.jpg  

3052530771_dd8f6a9036_z.jpg  

centralia.jpg  

centraliapa_realsilenthill.jpg  

CentraliaWelcomeToHell.jpg  

Underground-Fire-in-Centralia-Pennsylvania-2.jpg  

Attached Images

The Following 69 Users Say Thank You to mrm1109 For This Useful Post:
>< 0300, infantry ><, audiomouth, Azimuth, blue devil, BuggaBugga1104, Bulletooth, CarlR, chizdog, Chrome, coverdale0, crash666, Cumulonimbus, d1zz3213, danberose, Dazfeeder, Desert Rat, diamondsmiles, Dragonlady66, DVEEUS, Ed Gein, ernyzaz, Ess-Eye, Forensicgirl52, gatagato, Gaydolf Shitler, Geinghoul, GFX-707, hambone, Hunted, i.4.an.i, icheerthebull, Irish66, jeremycrpntr, Kanda444, kandystar, kaydeechio, King Herald, KKSki, knarfmu, k_dub, lolalola, martyl63, maxie526, McLovin510, Megamel29, mintycbo, Ntwadumela, powderblue, PTSD Is My Life, Pyramid_Head, raygun56, rrrr_reubs, SaffronSahara, Seven Of Nine, SexyOrangejuice, Sharon, Shelbeano ^-^, SideRow, slaver, snakedoc, suckerl0ve, sugarbubble, susanmarie79, Talysan, THELORDABORTION, Tyrantus, white dahlia, wickedminds1, zin0
Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 AM
Kadavar
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:719
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss730
Re: The REAL Silent Hill Town

That is freaking awesome, would love to visit there! Awesome post by the way!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kadavar For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, gatagato, mrm1109, NeckKnifeWarrior, wickedqueenwicker, Zahir82
The Following Users Disliked This Post By Kadavar:
Starfish
Old 04-25-2012, 01:35 AM
xXAnonymouslyXx
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:9558
Girl

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

damn i would love to visit this place. and explore the abandoned houses.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xXAnonymouslyXx For This Useful Post:
mrm1109, wickedqueenwicker
Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM
icheerthebull
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:290
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2802

thanks for posting

The Following User Says Thank You to icheerthebull For This Useful Post:
mrm1109
Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 PM
juliemd
Offline:
Hey, Ass-butt!
Poster Rank:376
female

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1921

would be an interesting place to visit. bad thing is the carbon monoxide and occasional sink hole you would have to avoid.

The Following User Says Thank You to juliemd For This Useful Post:
mrm1109
Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566

I'm pretty sure that is where Pyramid Head lives.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
87wildside, cataplexia, diamondsmiles, HOOD, Irish66, juliemd, kandystar, lolalola, mrm1109, NeckKnifeWarrior, Shelbeano ^-^, Tyrantus
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 PM
collaredgirl65
Offline:
Smartest Retard
Poster Rank:127
Female

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8016

Great post. I would like to see this place too.

mrm1109
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Ed Gein
Offline:
★Grave Robber★
Poster Rank:145
Male

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6741

Creepy. I love it! great post

The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Gein For This Useful Post:
mrm1109
Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 PM
FuckYourAccount
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:932

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss478

There is a documentary posted here in the docs page about this place. I almost moved to PA last year for work and was planning on taking a tour of it but the offer fell through. Would be so cool to check it out!

The Following User Says Thank You to FuckYourAccount For This Useful Post:
mrm1109
Old 04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
mrm1109
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:646
Cunt
Contributions: 2

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss860

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuckYourAccount View Post
There is a documentary posted here in the docs page about this place. I almost moved to PA last year for work and was planning on taking a tour of it but the offer fell through. Would be so cool to check it out!
They say its too dangerous to go to but people still live there

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrm1109 For This Useful Post:
Irish66, mintycbo