Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23
Jefferson Davis Hospital

Sorry if this has been posted already.

"Jeff Davis Hospital was originally opened in 1924, and was the first city-owned hospital that accepted indigent patients. The hospital itself was built on land donated to the city by Houston's founders, and unbeknownst to some, this land actually happened to be an 1800's cemetery filled with the remains of Houstonians from all walks of life––former slaves, Civil War veterans, victims of the yellow fever and cholera epidemics, and city aldermen. Whether or not the bodies were disinterred and moved is a matter of debate––it seems no one is sure. But until the 1980's some of the graves on the grounds were still marked, and bones were still being unearthed during various constructions on adjacent lots in 1986, so it would seem possible that the entire hospital still sits atop the final resting places of many dead."

Some kids and other people have been shot and robbed here.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
jdh2.jpg  

web5.jpg  

jdhext003.jpg  

Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stripesxoxo For This Useful Post:
DVEEUS, FunkPumpkin, Photoplay, raygun56
Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 AM
30564U
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:298
Comrade

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668
Re: Jefferson Davis Hospital

Jeff Davis Hospital...as in Jefferson Finis Davis, the one time President of the Confederate States of America? Wow...that took some serious balls to name something after him that long after the Civil War. Even in Texas that's seriously gutsy.

The Following User Says Thank You to 30564U For This Useful Post:
GG57
Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 AM
stripesxoxo
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:6060
female

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30564U View Post
Jeff Davis Hospital...as in Jefferson Finis Davis, the one time President of the Confederate States of America? Wow...that took some serious balls to name something after him that long after the Civil War. Even in Texas that's seriously gutsy.
Haha! And I suppose the hospital failed, just as Davis failed. But a place that offers free medical treatment? I'd go, even if it were called Satan's Hospital. Well, I think....

Old 03-25-2014, 09:01 PM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripesxoxo View Post
Haha! And I suppose the hospital failed, just as Davis failed. But a place that offers free medical treatment? I'd go, even if it were called Satan's Hospital. Well, I think....
I didn't think of the whole failure correlation, but that's a thought. I was just laughing about how the south seems to kinda gloss right over political correctness on certain issues, which is fine. I just get a kick out of stuff like that. I actually looked up the hospital after I posted and I guess it's a pretty dangerous and creepy place to explore. They're supposedly restoring it for artist lofts and part of just recently burned down. Weird history and really good photos.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM
stripesxoxo
Offline:
Poster Rank:6060
female

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30564U View Post
I didn't think of the whole failure correlation, but that's a thought. I was just laughing about how the south seems to kinda gloss right over political correctness on certain issues, which is fine. I just get a kick out of stuff like that.
Does that make it more or less ironic that it was built atop the graves of Civil War vets?
I can't wait for the lofts. Hipsters will be able to say that they're eating in the spot where someone died of TB.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:50 AM
30564U
Offline:
Comrade

Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2668

I was wondering if anyone was going to bring up the grave yard. The first thing I thought of was that, being in Texas, I'm sure it was mostly confederate dead. It's a little odd that it wasn't really that long from the cemetery's origins (lots of Civil War Vets would still be alive in the mid 1920's) post war, to when the hospital was built. How could they not have known about the graves? It's not like Indian graves that could be hundreds of years old. It's kind of like they just didn't give a rip. Of course the best part is that it was a hospital catering to the poorer class...like former slaves and Blacks. Imagine the irony that they would have chosen to name it after a fairly hard core lifelong racist like Jeff Davis. Like I said, Texas is not concerned about political correctness, even before political correctness was invented.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 PM
robert911
Offline:
Poster Rank:18524
male

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

I was born at that hospital in 1985

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robert911 For This Useful Post:
Arkoquisa, FunkPumpkin, johndoe1112
Old 07-21-2014, 06:10 PM
GG57
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:674
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 5/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss794

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripesxoxo View Post
Does that make it more or less ironic that it was built atop the graves of Civil War vets?
I can't wait for the lofts. Hipsters will be able to say that they're eating in the spot where someone died of TB.
It's now the Elder Street Artists Lofts: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...es-4996185.php

The Following User Says Thank You to GG57 For This Useful Post:
nightfall526