All woman

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7198
Re: Inside Cernobyl/Pripyat

I always despair over the fact that the "first responders" weren't told about the radiation levels, so they were the first to die after those killed in the initial explosion. Cancers and behavioral problems are still on the rise in children born near the Pripyat area. There's actually a UNICEF center in Kiev that cares for children who have been affected by the meltdown. And it'll be hundreds of years before the area is anywhere near habitable again. (Although.....it always confused me that Hiroshima and Nagasaki appear to be fine, I haven't heard much about any rise in cancers or other diseases due to the radiation there, and if I'm not mistaken far more radioactive materials were used in the bombs, so why isn't Chernobyl safe yet?)

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyCPlum For This Useful Post:
Bletch
Old 12-26-2012, 01:44 AM
5umguy24
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1983
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss151

<****** width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QuweBEy0NG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></******>

Never thought I see a fan of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in DR.

The Following User Says Thank You to 5umguy24 For This Useful Post:
mp5sd
Old 12-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Eskimo Aids
Offline:
Poster Rank:2207

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss128

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveizgod View Post
I always despair over the fact that the "first responders" weren't told about the radiation levels, so they were the first to die after those killed in the initial explosion. Cancers and behavioral problems are still on the rise in children born near the Pripyat area. There's actually a UNICEF center in Kiev that cares for children who have been affected by the meltdown. And it'll be hundreds of years before the area is anywhere near habitable again. (Although.....it always confused me that Hiroshima and Nagasaki appear to be fine, I haven't heard much about any rise in cancers or other diseases due to the radiation there, and if I'm not mistaken far more radioactive materials were used in the bombs, so why isn't Chernobyl safe yet?)
that's because the bomb was detonate thousands of feet in the air as opposed to Chernobyl wear it leaked/ blew up at ground level. Also the amount of radioactivity In the bombs dropped over nagaski and Hiroshima were minsucle in comparison to the Chernobyl reactor.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:12 AM
bombed
Offline:
Poster Rank:1286
Female

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss287

Thanks for posting! That was a really cool movie . I'm honestly quite surprised that these guys went into the city and that highly radioactive room in the end.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
b0g
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:713
transgender

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss739

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveizgod View Post
I must disagree with the explanation about the different radiation levels. Do you really think that the fall out pattern of a sky detonation (about 50-100 meters about the ground at Hiroshima) is very different than a explosion (due to extreme heat) of a reactor dome on a windy day????
This confusion of fact and fantasy reminds me of the Fukushima directors who neglected the Japanese engineers warning that a 6 meter high tsunami dike is not enough.

the Uranium of H and N was pure high enriched U. the first ever produced. It never was in a reactor, so not contaminated by side products as Plutonium which most reactors produced at 86.
The half life times of the Plutonium decay products (in fact series) are broader in range, which means longer and shorter. The longer decay times , 50 - 2000+ years, are the trouble in the Pripiat region.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 AM
PreciousFox15
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1177
Female

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss327

Thank you very much. Extremly interesting

Old 06-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Bletch
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:256
Male

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3324

Thanks for this top class post! Very interesting and eerie. The radiation levels on the firemen's clothing are astounding! Horrible, the amount the men received themselves :-(