5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528
Women Face Dramatic Increase in Painkiller Overdose Deaths

Women Face Dramatic Increase in Prescription Painkiller Overdose Deaths

By Jonathan Serrie

Published July 02, 2013

FoxNews.com

Federal health officials on Tuesday warned of a, "prescription painkiller epidemic," that is, "killing more women than ever before."

According to new data released today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, fatal overdoses from prescription pain relief drugs have increased 415 percent among U.S. women since 1999 – compared to a 265 percent increase in men.

"These are really troubling numbers," said CDC director Thomas Frieden. "The increase in opiate overdoses and opiate overdose deaths is directly proportional to the increase in prescribing of painkillers."

According to public health officials, there has been no increase in pain-causing conditions that would justify the increase in prescriptions over the past decade. They say marketing by drug manufacturers to doctors has been a factor.

While prescription pain killers can be crucial in alleviating severe pain caused by cancer and other serious diseases, experts say doctors need to weigh the risks and benefits of using powerful painkillers in treating less serious conditions, where pain can often be controlled through alternative methods such as exercise or physical therapy.

According to CDC officials, women are more likely to obtain prescriptions for painkillers – and at higher doses and durations than men.

Researchers believe this may be because women are more likely to experience common forms of pain more intensely and for longer periods of time.

Studies also suggest women become dependent on prescription painkillers more quickly than men, and researchers say women are more likely to engage in, "doctor shopping,” – seeking duplicate prescriptions from multiple providers.

Although men still lead women in prescription overdose deaths, (10,020 male deaths in 2010 compared to 6,631 females), experts are concerned that women will soon match, or even exceed, their male counterparts if nothing changes.

Federal health officials say doctors can reverse this dangerous trend through better monitoring of their patients. They're urging physicians to screen patients for substance abuse and mental health problems before prescribing any painkillers.

Officials are also encouraging doctors to participate in state prescription drug monitoring programs in order to better identify patients who may be abusing medication.

They say such programs have worked in Washington state, which saw a 23 percent reduction in its prescription painkiller overdose death rate between 2008 and 2011.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...#ixzz2XvZ7n1tN

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
charming, Darkest Angel, LadyCPlum, Rachee, vagabond
The Following Users Disliked This Post By diamondsmiles:
p4irs
Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 PM
LadyCPlum
Offline:
My Rank: CAPTAIN
Poster Rank:137
All woman

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7199
Re: Women Face Dramatic Increase in Painkiller Overdose Deaths

Interesting read. I worry about this sort of thing constantly because I take prescription pain killers for my endometriosis.

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyCPlum For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 07-03-2013, 02:28 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCPlum View Post
Interesting read. I worry about this sort of thing constantly because I take prescription pain killers for my endometriosis.

I was given oxycodone back in the 80's after a car accident and I took it back to the pharmacy and refused to take it.

They made me grit my teeth!

Each of us is different, LadyC. What helps one, kills the next of us!

Old 07-04-2013, 12:48 AM
LadyCPlum
Offline:
My Rank: CAPTAIN
Poster Rank:137
All woman

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
8/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7199

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post
I was given oxycodone back in the 80's after a car accident and I took it back to the pharmacy and refused to take it.

They made me grit my teeth!

Each of us is different, LadyC. What helps one, kills the next of us!
Unfortunately for me, I have an excruciatingly low pain tolerance. The endo pain I get is so intense it's caused me to pass out more than once!

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyCPlum For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 07-04-2013, 02:38 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCPlum View Post
Unfortunately for me, I have an excruciatingly low pain tolerance. The endo pain I get is so intense it's caused me to pass out more than once!

So sorry to hear that

I have a high tolerance for pain, except with my lower mouth during a couple of dental procedures.

I had to have 5 or 6 shots of Novacaine to get numb and my dentist at the time was saying, "Laws of Dentistry state you should be numb."

I wasn't and told him so.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:02 PM
mintycbo
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:344
Male

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2170

Unfortunately for myself, I've had to take a lot of painkillers the past four years due to many surgeries.
I know they are not safe. If you think about it? it's like heroin in pill form. (well... close enough to it.)
Then I also have my recovery thing as well..so I have to be extra careful, thin line between needing a painkillier for pain and needing one to get high, and someone who has an addictive personality such as myself.
Well, I have to be very careful.
(Drug of choice was alcohol, but I've used/abused just about everything there is to do out there in my past. including painkillers... )
Over 4 years sober now. The tonsillectomy was the roughest ordeal I had treading that thin line, They prescribed me 2 weeks of liquid lortab (Vicodin - acetaminophen and hydrocodone.) which comes out to four 750 ML bottles of the stuff.
(Had my tonsils removed via cautery, burned them off, had two big black chars in my throat. )
I'm not female, but I'm posted here because I know the risks of these drugs even when used properly.
(Slows your heart/breathing. etc)

Had at least two surgeries per year since 2009...
Inguinal hernia, tonsillectomy, Oral surgery right upper/lower mandible, colonoscopy (not really a surgery, but an "Invasive" procedure none the less..), Carpal Tunnel right wrist, Carpal Tunnel left wrist, Cubital tunnel left elbow, post-op infection left elbow followed by surgical debridement, knee arthroscopy left knee with drain/suction, And finally, May 30th 2013's appendectomy.

Not a big fan of going under the knife , but if it must be done, then do it to it.

Will add, I know someone who has endometriosis, she's always in IMMENSE pain, medication or not...
Has her to the point she was diagnosed with clinical depression due to her pain among other things associated with it....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mintycbo For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, uhoh1, vagabond
Old 07-04-2013, 08:03 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintycbo View Post
I'm not female, but I'm posted here because I know the risks of these drugs even when used properly.
(Slows your heart/breathing. etc)

Not a big fan of going under the knife , but if it must be done, then do it to it.

Will add, I know someone who has endometriosis, she's always in IMMENSE pain, medication or not...
Has her to the point she was diagnosed with clinical depression due to her pain among other things associated with it....
I'm sorry to hear that, minty. I know you had spoken of some of your medical conditions before.

Thanks for sharing

All of my late brothers abused alcohol and drugs I'm the black sheep.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 AM
gmak
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:5565
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss27

Interesting... My sister died in 2008 from an overdose of mixed pain pills, mostly soma and fentanyl. This had been an ongoing issue with her for years, so she was convinced she knew what she was doing and knew how much she could take safely. Repeatedly in that last year I tried to talk to her, even reminded her that it would most likely be me who would find her body. She sincerely promised me that would never happen, swore she wouldn't do that to me. When she died she had two fentanyl patches on and the equivalent of 40+ soma tablets still in her stomach.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
Cancun78, diamondsmiles
Old 07-05-2013, 12:40 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak View Post
Interesting... My sister died in 2008 from an overdose of mixed pain pills, mostly soma and fentanyl. This had been an ongoing issue with her for years, so she was convinced she knew what she was doing and knew how much she could take safely. Repeatedly in that last year I tried to talk to her, even reminded her that it would most likely be me who would find her body. She sincerely promised me that would never happen, swore she wouldn't do that to me. When she died she had two fentanyl patches on and the equivalent of 40+ soma tablets still in her stomach.
I'm sorry for your loss I know personally it does not get better. We just learn we have to go on.

All three of my brothers thought they knew, too. All alcohol and drug combinations, although the youngest was in a fire with a combination of drugs and a blood alcohol level of 0.13. I read all of their autopsy reports.

The oldest one stated he wanted to die and set about drinking himself to death after many years sober.

I've only heard of Fentanyl with Michael Jackson's murder, but, since then, I realized it's been around a lot longer and was suspected in several murders.

I also know what a helpless feeling it is to watch someone totally give up on themself. There is nothing you can do or say

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
minka1, vagabond
Old 08-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Shakey
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:18
MAN

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Quoted: 21518 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss37823

Pain killers killed Michael Jackson. And she was a girl.