Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssss61221
Woman Turns on Oven to Prepare Chicken Nuggets, Melting $15K in Family Savings

Quote:
A Sydney man sold his Toyota Supra sports car for $15,000 and stored the cash away in the oven.

He stored the cash in his oven because his wife never uses it.
But that evening she turned on the oven to pre-heat chicken nuggets for their two girls.

The man, who asked not be identified out of embarrassment, sold his sports car on Saturday afternoon and decided to store the cash temporarily in his oven.
Australian money is made from plastic.

The entire cash melted in the heat of the oven while his wife heated chicken nugget in it.

The man said he was forced to sell his sports car to pay bills because of a slow-down in the building industry that affected his metal roofing business.

The man laments that his family has been rendered penniless by the act of his wife turning on the oven to prepare chicken nuggets for the kids.

The family is now in dire financial straits and the family's water supply was cut off after failure to pay the water bills.

The man said, "It was everything I had." He added: "I've got nothing to my name. That money was supposed to go towards my mortgage.

I had a call from Westpac on Tuesday asking me when I would pay because I missed a payment on Monday. I told them 'I'll pay tomorrow' but then the money was burnt.'"

The man said: "After a while it started to sink in, you've got kids, a mortgage, a family car to run and I'm thinking what am I going to do."

The man's distraught wife said she "could not stop crying" when she told her husband what had happened.

She said: "I struggled to breathe, I said 'I burnt the money, I burnt the money.' I felt like I was going to faint."

The man took the cash to his bank to deposit it but the bank cashier at the Merrylands' Westpac branch refused to accept it.

He pleaded with her: "I asked her to send it to the RBA, I told her 'please it's all I got' but she didn't want to."
But there is still hope for the family.

When a spokesman for Westpac Merrylands was contacted, he offered an apology and said: "we will do whatever we can do within the guidelines."

The Reserve Bank of Australia has a policy on damaged and incomplete banknotes and advises people to take them to the bank.

The RBA policy guidelines say: "If several pieces of the same banknote are presented, the Reserve Bank's policy is for each piece to be worth a share of the value in proportion to its size. The combined value paid should be the face value of the original banknote."

According to the RBA policy, "If less than 20 percent of the note is missing full face value is paid, but if between 20-80 percent of the note is missing value is paid in proportion with the percentage remaining. If more than 80 percent is missing no payment is made."
ooops

Old 07-26-2012, 05:06 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat
Poster Rank:16
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649
Re: Woman Turns on Oven to Prepare Chicken Nuggets, Melting $15K in Family Savings

That really really really sucks. I'll be honest though, there's no way I'd hide all 15k in one spot. I understand the wife doesn't cook, but all the "what if's" would keep me from putting it there.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
DannyDrama, diamondsmiles, gatagato, kellyhound, Oswald2001
Old 07-26-2012, 05:34 PM
DannyDrama
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:356
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2093
Re: Woman Turns on Oven to Prepare Chicken Nuggets, Melting $15K in Family Savings

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Grip View Post
That really really really sucks. I'll be honest though, there's no way I'd hide all 15k in one spot. I understand the wife doesn't cook, but all the "what if's" would keep me from putting it there.
H a dumb motherfucker for sure. My rule is, never put anything that can be destroyed into/around/on/under anything that can destroy other things.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyDrama For This Useful Post:
K9Grip, Oswald2001
Old 07-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Oswald2001
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:99

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2767 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss10548

That's called self-sabotage.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oswald2001 For This Useful Post:
K9Grip
Old 07-26-2012, 07:45 PM
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:163
Female

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss6040

Wait, what? Australian money is plastic? I didn't know that. That's crazy!

The Following User Says Thank You to Karma For This Useful Post:
DannyDrama
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 PM
St. Geno
Offline:
I don't fuck with anyone
Poster Rank:67

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2226 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13787

Ever heard of a bank account?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 PM
blue devil
Offline:
on the outside looking in
Poster Rank:222
male

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3966

As opposed to a bake account?

kellyhound, Oswald2001, Sharon
Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

He should have told his wife it was there.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 PM
rheedork
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:682
Female

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss785

He should've at least told her. Why did he need to HIDE the money when they would've used it to pay bills.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Seven Of Nine
Offline:
de-assimilated
Poster Rank:214
Female
Contributions: 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
Wait, what? Australian money is plastic? I didn't know that. That's crazy!
The Australian money as well as Canadian money (likely more Commonwealth countries as well) are made of a polymer plastic. They are supposed to be the most durable bank notes ever issued. I live in Canada and the introduction of these bills began late last year. We only have the $100 and $50 notes to date. Here is a picture of our money in circulation (mostly) now as well as an image of the new notes.

I feel so badly for that couple, things like this can cause relationships to end and suicide at times. Shame.

Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seven Of Nine For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, gatagato, Karma, kellyhound