Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss21524
Woman Lifts Car Off of Trapped Father & Gave Him CPR Saving His Life

We often hear of mothers and fathers saving their children by lifting cars, but, here is a switch.

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc2151a8" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=48447590&amp;width=420&amp;height=24 5" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc2151a8" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=48447590&amp;width=420&amp;heigh t=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit NBCNews.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.nbcnews.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>

GLEN ALLEN, Va. — Lauren Kornacki learned CPR several times. For years, she's worked as a lifeguard. The 22-year-old just graduated from Mary Washington with a physics degree, but while looking for work, she decided to return to something familiar to earn a little money.

Two days ago, her supervisor held a review session on CPR skills. Saturday, Lauren used what she learned to save her father's life.

"I opened up his airway to make sure he could breathe and everything and at that point I'm just telling him, talking to him," said Lauren. "You can't leave me. Just stay with me. Keep breathing."

Lauren's father, Alec, was working on his car, a BMW 525i. The jack slipped and the car fell on top of him. Lauren was on her way out the door when she came upon him, unconscious and crushed.

It happened Saturday on Lincolnshire Court near Old Nuckols Road.

"As I go to open the garage door I hear a primal scream, like…dial 911!" said Lauren's mother, Liz.

That scream was 22-year-old Lauren discovering her father.

"There was no tire," said Lauren. Seconds later, she did what most would consider unthinkable, she moved a car weighing a ton and a half off her father's body.

"I just lifted up ... and just kind of threw it, shoved my body as hard as I could then I came back and dragged him out and started CPR," Lauren said. "It flashed like, I'm going to lose my dad." His eyes were open, he wasn't responding to me. I knew I had to get his heart beating again and I had to get him breathing."

And in that moment, with those skills and strength, she was the only person keeping her father alive.

"I'm just telling him, talking to him. You can't leave me," said Lauren. "Just stay with me. Keep breathing."

Two days later, Alec Kornacki's other daughter, Allie, shared a video with us. Her father is still in the ICU, but walking and finally getting the chance to thank Lauren.

"I told him what happened," said Liz. "He just, the tears just come to his eyes. He said thank you for saving my life and she just smiled her blue eyed smile and that was it."

Just seeing him move and breathing I literally just sat there and was watching his chest rise and that's when I lost it," said Lauren. "I just couldn't handle it."

Liz says Lauren is the reason Alec is alive. She says he was without oxygen and a heart beat for less than five minutes.

"She got his heart beating again and got him breathing again," said Liz. "So, she's it. He gave her life and then he gave her life. I am in awe of her. I am in awe of her. She is the day. She saved the day. I can't even tell you how proud I am of her."

Alec's doctors didn't want him to speak on camera just yet, because he's still in the ICU. He has several broken ribs, some numbness, and other fractures, but nothing that appears to be permanent damage.

He also asked us to share this statement, "I'm just so lucky and proud that I have daughters that can perform CPR and have the knowledge to save lives. I think it's an important skill for everyone to know and if it weren't for Lauren I would not be alive today."

Alec has three daughters. All three know CPR.

How Do People Find the Superhuman Strength to Lift Cars?
By Meghan Holohan/The Body Odd

When Lauren Kornacki discovered her father crushed beneath his BMW 525i, which had slipped off the carjack as he was working on it, the 22-year-old wedged herself under the mid-sized vehicle -- and pulled it off her father.

We hear tales from time to time of people exhibiting superhuman strength in life-and-death emergencies. After experiencing amazement over such a feat, we all wonder: How can a regular person lift something that weighs more than a ton?

Actually, most people "can lift six to seven times their body weight," says Michael Regnier, professor and vice chair of bioengineering at the University of Washington. But most people don’t push themselves so hard, though athletes often push themselves more than most. Fear, fatigue and pain prevent people from attempting feats of amazing strength in daily life, says Dr. Javier Provencio, director of the neurological ICU at Cleveland Clinic.

Regnier, a former world-class weightlifter, has experienced bouts of incredible strength both as an athlete and as someone who helped after an accident. About 20 years ago, Regnier was driving on a Los Angeles freeway when he spotted a wrecked car on the side of the road. The driver sat slumped over his steering wheel so Regnier pulled over to help. It was instinct; he couldn’t fathom leaving the man without doing something. The driver’s door had caved in and Regnier couldn’t get him out any other way—he ripped the door off to pull the man out.

Regnier remembers his hands hurting from cuts he sustained while tearing off the car door, but he doesn’t know what happened with the driver because he left when the EMTs arrived.

Ripping doors off cars or lifting vehicles from people could be considered hysterical strength. Little medical evidence exists about such cases; most of it remains anecdotal.

Physicians once believed that the adrenaline that flooded the system caused an extra boost to the muscles, allowing people to be stronger. But that’s not quite accurate. Adrenaline certainly primes the body for emergency action, it speeds up the heart and lungs, dilates the blood vessels and releases nutrients, both of which ready the muscles for quick responses.

And while the adrenaline fueled fight-or-flight reflex spurs people into action, the body’s entire stress response contributes to superhuman strength. Cascades of enzymes and proteins release, helping people sustain the activity.

“Endorphins are very important,” says Provencio. Our bodies release endorphins when we exercise, providing that “runner’s high.”

These neuropeptides make people feel good and suppress pain as well as providing people with an extra boost to finish their superhuman task.

“[Endorphins] sort of make the brain available to handle these stressful situations. You focus on the task you are doing,” says Regnier. “The endorphins will have a longer lasting affect.”

While the body’s stress response enables humans to turn into less angry Incredible Hulks, our emotions truly motivate people to attempt such actions. In most cases, the rescuers believe the victim will die without help. Take 21-year-old Danous Estenor, a University of South Florida football player, who lifted a car off a 34-year-old tow truck driver pinned under a tire in 2011. He believed Pedro Arzola would have perished without his intervention.

“The people who do these things are really under a lot of stress,” says Provencio. “It really touches them personally.”

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, BryanXavier, kellyhound, Seven Of Nine
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 AM
BryanXavier
Offline:
Fiscally Irresponsible
Poster Rank:72
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 14/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss12964
Re: Woman Lifts Car Off of Trapped Father & Gave Him CPR Saving His Life

I want to see the garage and how she picked up the damn car! There must be a way for it to be physically possible.

NeckKnifeWarrior
Old 08-02-2012, 08:35 AM
NeckKnifeWarrior
Offline:
cawk master
Poster Rank:132
MALE!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss7600
I also want to know how she was able to loft the car. Maybe huge rush of adrenaline?!

Neck,I'd actually let you suck my cock.

The Last Nephilim -
Focus all of your fear on taking a shit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-02-2012, 09:32 AM
RedneckR0nin
Offline:
goinggoingGONE
Poster Rank:14
I am a man yes I am and tell ya so

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 5369 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss44935

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanXavier View Post
I want to see the garage and how she picked up the damn car! There must be a way for it to be physically possible.
Adrenaline can do amazing things...my old step mom the day she got her licence seen a guy pick up a semi about feet up off the ground so someone could pull the trucker out...or so she says

The Following User Says Thank You to RedneckR0nin For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 08-02-2012, 11:41 AM
DannyDrama
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:354

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2093
Holy shit. You yanks make heavy ass cars too

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyDrama For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, NeckKnifeWarrior
Old 08-02-2012, 05:07 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 401

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
9/11 ssss61137

good thing it wasn't a pick-up he was laying underneath

Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss21524

It must be the adrenaline. Like I said, I've heard of mothers lifting cars off of their children.

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
NeckKnifeWarrior
Old 08-02-2012, 06:04 PM
PinkFG2_K20
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:963
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss457

Wow..adrenaline! Awesome story!

The Following User Says Thank You to PinkFG2_K20 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 08-02-2012, 08:06 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3653

Highly stressful situations can make the body do things you normally would never see.

This girl couldnt deadlift 300kgs under normal conditions but under duress and adrenaline she moved a very heavy weight without hesitation.

The Following User Says Thank You to ices For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 08-03-2012, 03:30 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss21524

I added an article about why people find the strength to lift cars and such in the original post.