Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392
Woman Kills Her Two Sons Then Hangs Herself

A husband has described the horrifying moment he returned from work to find his wife had hanged herself and killed their two young sons.
Richard Talby told an inquest how he saw the body of his wife Susan – who had severe post-natal depression – suspended from a door as he climbed the stairs after arriving home from an overnight business trip.

The 42-year-old, of Peterborough, revealed he had spoken to her only the night before, calling himself ‘the happiest man on earth’ after hearing how she sounded ‘very upbeat’.
But he was left ‘utterly devastated’ after discovering his wife had gone on to give their sons Joseph, four, and Paul, two, a sedative before putting them in their pyjamas and suffocating them in bed.
Tuesday's hearing was also told Mrs Talby, 41, left an anguished letter saying she couldn’t trust anyone else with the care of her children.
The former paediatric nurse became severely depressed after a ‘traumatic’ second birth, believing she could not be the ‘perfect’ mother and that her children were suffering from a range of illnesses and allergies.
In an unusual move, coroner Gordon Ryall allowed Mrs Talby’s suicide note to be read at the inquest in Peterborough.

In it, she told her husband she was ‘truly sorry’ and that she had ‘tried with every ounce in my body to get over this depression but the pain is unbearable’.
She wrote: ‘I love the children with all my heart but unfortunately I was unable to look after them. I should never have had them but if I leave them behind without a mother they would not cope.
‘There will be no children’s homes or foster parents good enough, they deserve peace like I do.’

Mrs Talby had a history of depression. Before killing herself and her children in March, 2007, the part-time clothes shop assistant had attempted suicide in April 2005, after which she was admitted to hospital for five months.
Her husband, a sales executive with a plastics manufacturer, told the inquest his wife’s mental condition caused tension between them but he had been overjoyed when he spoke to her the night before her death as she appeared happy.

Smothered: Joseph Talby, who was four-years-old, was found dead in his home in Werrington:

‘She seemed to be very upbeat and she had tidied up the house. She seemed quite well and I would say at that time I was the happiest man on earth,’ he said in a statement.
And he described the moment he found the tragic scene at their home in Werrington, near Peterborough.
‘As I walked up the stairs I could see Susan hanging from the door,’ he said. ‘Around her neck was my orange Next belt. I tried to get Susan down but she was too heavy.’
Detective Chief Inspector George Barr, who was the first policeman to arrive at the scene, said Mr Talby had found the body of one of his children but couldn’t bring himself to look for the other.
The officer told the inquest he found both in bed and informed Mr Talby they were dead.
A post-mortem examination found Mrs Talby had given her sons a sedative.

The inquest, which began on Friday, has heard that NHS health visitors failed to spot warning signs that Mrs Talby was a risk because they did not read through her medical file.
Her GP, Dr Sohrab Panday, said her ‘anxious’ behaviour – including irrational concerns about her children’s sight – combined with a familiarity with her fragile state of mind would have set alarm bells ringing.
He added that at the time of the first suicide attempt Mrs Talby wrongly believed she had the HIV virus and had passed it on to her children.
She also said she had considered killing the children because they were ‘very ill and suffering’.
Mr Ryall recorded a verdict of suicide for Mrs Talby and unlawful killing for her children.
He criticised health officials for ‘poor’ communication, but added it was not clear they could have prevented the deaths.
‘In treating a patient, health professionals need training, experience and knowledge. It is clear the health visitors did not have the third,’ he said.
After the hearing, George Rogers, the vicar of Werrington, read a statement on behalf of Mr Talby.
In it, the widower described himself as ‘utterly devastated’ and said: ‘I know that Susan would not have done this horrendous act had she been well. I have learned the importance of forgiveness and I have forgiven Susan.’
Peterborough Primary Care Trust said it now gave health workers compulsory training for dealing with children cared for by a mentally ill parent.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
Nanina, Nite
Old 08-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392
Re: Woman Kills Her Two Sons Then Hangs Herself

Yet more children let down by the system that didn't look into her medical file. Her irrational concerns over the kids and anxious behaviour should of been noted to someone and maybe the kids could of been saved then.

The Following User Says Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
alpha.first.one
Old 08-03-2011, 08:12 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 401

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
7/11 ssss61135

Damn tragedy and in 95% of such cases it's
Quote:
who has severe (post-natal) depression
Meds for this can be pretty dangerous also.
Quote:
There are many medications used to treat depression, and most of these carry risks.

However, when depression is untreated, risks of things like suicide can greatly increase.

A balance must be struck between judiciously administering depression medications and considering the potential side effects of psychopharmacological treatment.

Studies on depression medications show that there is greater risk, especially at onset in treating teens with SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) like Zoloft® or Prozac®.

In teens and young adults, SSRIs can create suicidal impulses that did not previously exist.
It’s not known how much these suicidal impulses would occur without treatment, since this is a hallmark of depression.

However most SSRIs now carry strong warnings that people should contact their physicians if they find they begin to have suicidal ideation.

Another risk of using most depression medications is if they are used to treat mood disorders like bipolar.
Bipolar disorder can be very difficult to diagnose and may often be mislabeled as major depressive illness.

The risk of many of the depression medications is that they can produce a manic or hypomanic state, which is very dangerous to people.

There are even some theories that suggest people who were not previously bipolar but who were cyclothymic, may progress into a bipolar state if treated for with depression meds.

Certain populations need to avoid specific depression medications. In populations of the elderly, drugs that may be prescribed along with antidepressants can prove very dangerous and are not advised.

These include many drugs called atypical antipsychotics. Types of drugs included in this group are Zyprexa®, Risperidal®, and the drug Abilify®.

These medications may be used alone to treat people with dementia and they’ve also been used as augment therapy when depression medications don’t work by themselves.

Per the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), use in elders is not recommended because it greatly increases risk of death.

For instance Abilify® has been shown to increase risk of stroke in elders and should not be used.

There are several depression medications that may pose some risks for the general population.

Some atypical anti-psychotics like Zyprexa® fall into this category because they may increase weight gain and raise risk levels for major diseases like diabetes.

It should be noted that most people taking antidepressants to treat major depressive illness do not need Zyprexa; however those with bipolar and mood disorders could be prescribed this medication.

Virtually all medications have some side effects and what people must weigh is risk versus benefits. As mentioned, untreated depression can be highly dangerous.

There are non-drug treatments for depression, including electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), but this treatment may have risks too, and is not indicated for certain populations.

Working with a good psychiatrist can be a vital step toward deciding what treatment is most beneficial for each individual and how to choose medications that hazard the least risk while offering the most benefit.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Nite
Offline:
Retarded Genius
Poster Rank:3

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
Quoted: 16111 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
11/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss88591

my niece is about to trial for attempted murder of her two children
same thing really,tried to gas herself and the kids
she was another who slipped through the cracks

Old 08-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Viking64
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:5
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Quoted: 24600 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss70998

Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 AM
blue devil
Offline:
on the outside looking in
Poster Rank:222
male

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3966

Quote: "I should never have had them but if I leave them behind without a mother they would not cope."

Old 08-03-2011, 11:29 AM
jokerlad19
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2485

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss105

she is nothing but a murdering coward selfish bitch , if you want to kill yourself then so be it , but to murder 2 young lads is just sickening .

Old 08-04-2011, 02:14 AM
rafaelfy
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:2657

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss94

This is very intriguing at the same time sad.