Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528
Woman Gives Birth in Afghanistan; Didn't Know She Was Pregnant

*I have never been, but, I cannot believe a woman cannot tell she is pregnant. I know a woman personally who supposedly thought she had a tumor the size of a basketball, which turned out to be a baby girl, and went on to have another baby girl, also thought to be a tumor.*

London

A British soldier has given birth to a boy while serving in Afghanistan at the same desert camp where Prince Harry is deployed and a Taliban attack last week killed two U.S. Marines.

Camp Bastion in Afghanistan has woken up for the first time, to the sounds of a new born baby's cries. After a female serving soldier who didn't even know she was pregnant, gave birth unexpectedly to a baby boy after complaining of stomach pains. The birth in a field hospital is thought to be the first time a serving member of Britain's military has gone into labor in a combat zone.

The solder, a Fijian national serving as a gunner with the Royal Artillery, delivered the child Tuesday at Camp Bastion. The sprawling British base in southern Afghanistan's Helmand province last week suffered a major attack in which two U.S. marines were killed and six American fighter jets destroyed.

Britain's defense ministry said Thursday it had not been aware the soldier was pregnant, and stressed that it does not allow female soldiers to deploy on operation if they are pregnant. It declined to say whether the soldier, who has not been named, was aware of her pregnancy.

"Mother and baby are both in a stable condition in the hospital and are receiving the best possible care," the ministry said in a statement. It said a team of doctors would fly out to Afghanistan in the coming days to help the solider and her son return safely to Britain.

The woman had deployed to Afghanistan in March, meaning her child was conceived before her tour of duty began. She is one of about 2,000 Fijians who serve in the British military, even though the country became independent from Britain in 1970.

Camp Bastion, which hosts the U.S. Camp Leatherneck, is home to most of Britain's 9,500 soldiers in Afghanistan, including Prince Harry — who arrived there earlier this month to serve as an attack helicopter gunner.

"This sort of thing makes life difficult for everyone else, but the important thing is the welfare of the female soldier. This could have gone wrong and we don't know if the attack on Camp Bastion might have forced the birth," said Maj. Charles Heyman, a retired officer and author of "'The British Army Guide."

Heyman said it may have been "that the excitement of the tour masked the symptoms of the pregnancy."

Belinda Phipps, chief executive of the National Childbirth Trust, a British parenting charity, also suggested the soldier's demanding duties could explain why she either didn't know she was pregnant or attempted to ignore the signs.

"It could be that she was so very focused on other things, and because she was in a life-or-death scenario, that she simply didn't recognize that she was pregnant," Phipps said.

Phipps said the pregnancy may not have been obvious to the soldier's colleagues. "Not everyone has a very big baby bump, some women carry their baby far inside," she said.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:59 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3660
Re: Woman Gives Birth in Afghanistan; Didn't Know She Was Pregnant

Its bullshit.

She would have been removed from the country immediately and she may have got knocked up by a superior.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:22 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Who knows? I don't know why any fairly intelligent woman would put her and her baby in harm's way like that.

We do know some people have no common sense.

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight
Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Shelbeano ^-^
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:648
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss855

Have you ever seen that show I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant? With the circumstances explained in that show, it's relatively easy to be ignorant of a pregnancy if say, you had such bad ovarian cysts that the doctor said you'd never give birth, or you were on strong birth control but took aspirin. No weight gain, no cravings, no morning sickness, no movement from the fetus, etc.
It's rare, but it does happen. Unfortunately it had to happen to this woman at the worst possible time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shelbeano ^-^ For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Dynamo47, Faline, rheedork
Old 09-25-2012, 09:49 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Hey, Shel! I've never watched it.

All the women I know who were pregnant had obvious sickness and discomfort, especially toward the end of the pregnancy.

My niece slept in a cloud of pillows all around her body.

I know of two who got away with not wearing maternity clothing and just unzipping or unbuttoning their pants, and I thought that was pretty rare.

I've never been so I can't dispute anyone's claims, but, I just find it so unbelievable.

Some of us have hormones that go into an uproar on a regular basis, but, I suppose there can be those lucky ones.

Shelbeano ^-^
Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

It's not bullshit to not know you're pregnant.

I didn't know with my son, i even still had periods. I suspected as i felt different but even two pregnancy tests were negative.
I didn't go to full term though, i had him early at 6 months gestation when i was rushed in with stomach pains. I had ended up dilating for no reason which then brought on early labour.
The doctors said it can be known. Some even go full term with just a slight bulging belly. I did gain some weight around the midriff area that i put down to just weight gain but no signs i was pregnant. I had no morning sickness, cravings or disliked certain food and i still fitted into my regular clothes. My son weighed just 2 pounds but dropped a bit of weight due to a stomach complication he had. He's all fine now though and perfect
So yeah quite a shock to suddenly have a baby and become a mum overnight It does happen.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Dynamo47, Shelbeano ^-^, Viking64
Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

I am glad your son is healthy, Kelly, and it all worked out for you and him

Faline
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 PM
petedeamon
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:377
yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1919

If she didn't have any idea she was pregnant maybe she shouldn't raise the child..Methinks she has a screw loose.