Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 12/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1629
Woman Falls Down 15-Foot Shaft While Showering

SAN DIEGO -- A Logan Heights resident was injured Tuesday when she slipped while taking a shower in her apartment, fell out a window and plunged about 15 feet to the bottom of an air and light shaft in the middle of the building.

The accident in the 2700 block of Commercial Street was reported shortly after 8 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

The woman, who is in her 50s, tumbled through a 2- by 3-foot opening next to her bathtub and into the shaft, an old-fashioned construction feature designed to bring daylight and fresh air into rooms, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said.
Emergency crews found her at the bottom of the shaft, about six feet below ground level, and were able to pull her through the bathroom window of the unit below hers, Luque said.
Medics took the woman, who remained conscious throughout the ordeal, to UCSD Medical Center for treatment of minor to moderately serious injuries.
Luque described the mishap as out of the ordinary, particularly since the type of light shaft involved is common only in older buildings.
"It's just unusual," he said. "It doesn't violate any type of code, this is the way buildings were built; just one of those freakish type accidents that happen."
Luque added, "We believe that drugs and/or alcohol played a role in all this and maybe from the good side of things because of that, possibly because of that, she did not sustain what were believed to be serious injuries of any sort."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to knuggy For This Useful Post:
Audioguru, diamondsmiles, kellyhound, Sharon
Old 08-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Audioguru
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:307
yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2558
Re: Woman Falls Down 15-Foot Shaft While Showering

Ya think

Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 PM
DannyDrama
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:356
Contributions: 1

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2093
Clumsy bitch.

The Following User Says Thank You to DannyDrama For This Useful Post:
jimmi5
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

Dumb ass! Being drunk probably did save her.

Luckily, she wasn't driving and killing an innocent victim.

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Spiffyfable
Old 08-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Flaka
Offline:
Tuya
Poster Rank:19

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss37570

what the hell?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Seven Of Nine
Offline:
de-assimilated
Poster Rank:214
Female
Contributions: 4

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4126

I guess it's time to be thankful there isn't a hole near my bathtub because I'm fairly certain, given my track record lately ...I'd fall into it I need to see a photo of this hole in order for it to make sense because I don't get it at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to Seven Of Nine For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 08-15-2012, 10:49 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinglessAngel View Post
I guess it's time to be thankful there isn't a hole near my bathtub because I'm fairly certain, given my track record lately ...I'd fall into it I need to see a photo of this hole in order for it to make sense because I don't get it at all.

I can't picture it either. Maybe someone will post a picture.

Found a couple of pics!

Now, I see! Also, more on the story! I'm not sure how warm this would or wouldn't be in Winter. Dirty tub in the picture below!

Showering Woman, 50, Falls Out Bathroom Window and Plunges Down Light Shaft

A San Diego, California resident is recovering from a freak accident after tripping while in the shower and falling out of her bathroom window.

The woman, who is in her 50s and whose identity remains unknown, fell out of the three foot by two foot window and tumbled down a 15 foot shaft to the ground.

Firefighters lifted her to safety through an identical bathroom window in the building's first floor apartment and the victim rushed to hospital.

Freak accident: (Photo below). A woman in her 50s tripped while showering and fell out of her bathroom window down a 15ft light shaft in Logan Heights, San Diego yesterday morning

The unfortunate sequence of events took place yesterday morning at around 8.10am in the Logan Heights neighbourhood.

A tenant of a complex known as Casa Del Sol, the woman is thought to have lost her balance and fallen down the four foot wide shaft that is typical of many older buildings.

Danger: (Photo below). The identical bathroom on the first floor from the window of which firefighters rescued the woman

Dark fall: (Photo below). The 15ft shaft is about four feet wide and was built to provide light to interior rooms

Though the building on the 2700 block of Commercial Street is only two stories high, UT San Diego reports that the woman was being treated at UCSD Medical Center for 'moderate' injuries.

According to San Diego Fire-Rescue Department, Battalion Chief David Connor, whose men arrived on the scene, the narrow spaces were incorporated to provide light to the interior facing rooms and this particular apartment block has a total of four shafts.

The firefighters had been alerted to the incident by the landlord of the building who woke up first floor resident, John Taylor, to tell him what had happened.

Quite a scene: Firefighters set up a rig on the roof before realizing that they could in fact reach the victim who lay six feet below ground level, through a first floor tenant's window

After initially rigging up a tripod hoist on the roof the firefighters realized they could reach her from his bathroom window.

The bottom of the shaft lies about eight feet below ground level but they managed to avoid hauling her up to the roof.

Chief David Connor called the occurrence 'an odd or freakish type of accident.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz23fdU0v00

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
window.jpg  

shaft.jpg  

stretcher.jpg  

Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Arsedestroyer, blue devil, kellyhound, Seven Of Nine, Sharon
Old 08-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Spiffyfable
Offline:
★ PSYCHOPOMP ★
Poster Rank:86
Man

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11946

I can almost relate. I've been like super wasted before to the point of not even being able to crawl. When a person (such as myself) gets like that then tries to standup.... they end up looking like they did a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson from bouncing off all the furniture.

I had this one chair in the corner that kicked my ass no less than three times

Old 08-16-2012, 01:50 AM
TheHag
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:242
formerly male

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3613

What a fucked up way to break a hip!

Old 08-16-2012, 05:08 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffyfable View Post
I can almost relate. I've been like super wasted before to the point of not even being able to crawl. When a person (such as myself) gets like that then tries to standup.... they end up looking like they did a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson from bouncing off all the furniture.

I had this one chair in the corner that kicked my ass no less than three times

My brother used to fall alot. He rolled down the steps from upstairs to the living room and I couldn't do anything.

He was a large person. He told me to give him a pillow and he'd lay there until he could crawl to the couch. He did exactly that.

If he had been a baby or small child, I probably could have stopped part of the fall.

He used to scare the Hell out of me! He fell in the garage and cracked my bumper! Not the first time he fell there.

Like an ass, I was rubbing his head. I felt so helpless. The alcohol was stronger than he :( I miss him SO much!

A neighbor met him when he found him outside on the pavement. I heard him tell the guy not to tell his sister.

It finally claimed him on June 13, 2012, one day after his birthday. You can only abuse your body so much.

I'm not here to lecture or judge, but, I lost all three of my brothers to effects of alcohol in one way or another.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Arsedestroyer, Seven Of Nine