Contributions: 26

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866
Woman Dies After Nurse Refuses to Allow CPR

I have found two versions of the same story. Rather than sort out the facts as I have done in the past I simply post both versions and let readers sort it out. Both versions are fairly consistent. I will also post more video and audio if it becomes available.

Quote:
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (AP) — An elderly woman being cared for at a Bakersfield retirement facility died after a nurse at the facility refused to perform CPR on the woman after she collapsed, authorities said.

When the 87-year-old resident of Glenwood Gardens collapsed at the facility around 11 a.m. Tuesday, a staff member called 911 but refused to give the woman CPR, Bakersfield television station ABC23 (http://bit.ly/YQULm3 ) reported Friday.

In refusing the 911 dispatcher's insistence that she perform CPR, the nurse can be heard telling the dispatcher that it was against the retirement facility's policy to perform CPR.

During the exchange between the nurse and the dispatcher, the dispatcher can be heard saying "I don't understand why you're not willing to help this patient."

An ambulance arrived several minutes after the call and took the woman to a hospital, where she was later pronounced dead. She has been identified as Lorraine Bayless, a resident of the home's independent facility, which is separate from the skilled and assisted nursing facility.

The retirement facility released a statement extending its condolences to the family and said its "practice is to immediately call emergency medical personnel for assistance and to wait with the individual needing attention until such personnel arrives."

The statement also said a "thorough internal review of the matter" would be conducted.

A call to the facility by The Associated Press seeking more information on the incident was not immediately returned.

Read more: HERE

Quote:
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - An elderly woman who was reportedly refused CPR by staff at a local home died at a hospital on Tuesday.

On Feb. 26, at about 11 a.m., an 87-year-old resident at Glenwood Gardens, collapsed in a dining room.

According to reports, a staff member called 911 and 911 staff tried to get the caller to do CPR on the woman.

In the 911 call, the caller then refused to perform CPR.

After several minutes, an ambulance arrived and the woman was taken to Mercy Southwest where she was later pronounced dead.

Read the Bakersfield Fire Department's incident report here .

Glenwood Gardens, the home where the woman lived, released a statement claiming it's against policy to perform CPR on anyone.
Here's the home's statement:
Quote:
First and foremost, we extend our deepest sympathies and condolences to this individual’s family on the passing of their loved one. We also appreciate the assistance of emergency personnel who arrived immediately to assist in rendering first aid. In the event of a health emergency at this independent living community our practice is to immediately call emergency medical personnel for assistance and to wait with the individual needing attention until such personnel arrives. That is the protocol we followed. As with any incident involving a resident, we will conduct a thorough internal review of this matter, but we have no further comments at this time.

Something went wrong, try refreshing the page...

Picture and Video Clip Stats.
File Type: mp4 Glenwood Gardens in Bakersfield refuses CPR.mp4(11.66 MB, 126 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to johnleeknoefler For This Useful Post:
lbridgeland
Old 03-04-2013, 04:01 AM
johnleeknoefler
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:229
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866
Re: Woman Dies After Nurse Refuses to Allow CPR

I meant to put an embed to the longer uncut version of the call but it failed to function as expected. You can find it if you follow the links. Sorry bout that.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Rules or no rules, I don't think I could just stand there and watch someone die if there was anything I could do to try to help. Does this not fly in the face of the oaths medical professionals take?

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 03-04-2013, 01:49 PM
lbridgeland
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:1465
female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss238

If that was the nurse's family member would she have done the same thing? Was there a DNR on this woman? Is that why the woman's family members are not upset with the nursing home? Just really sad that our society has to resort to this kind of behavior to avoid lawsuits...IMO.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3653

The woman was 87 and the whole thing wouldn't have saved her anyway.

CPR at her age would have been painful, if not futile and she'd have died a few days later but with the addition of a massive lawsuit on the home.

Dont blame others when peoples greed has crippled the good Samaritan spirit.

The Following User Says Thank You to ices For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel
The Following Users Disliked This Post By ices:
5umguy24
Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Darkest Angel
Offline:
Born in the USA
Poster Rank:74
100% female
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12873

This is unbelievable.
They must have had a DNR (do not resuscitate)order in place.
I would have lost my job that day.
Her ribs would have cracked with the CPR but I couldn't just stand there & watch her die

Old 03-05-2013, 11:41 AM
chefbob09
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:243
Male

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3577

87, time to go

Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM
johnleeknoefler
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:229
Male

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkest angel View Post
This is unbelievable.
They must have had a DNR (do not resuscitate)order in place.
I would have lost my job that day.
Her ribs would have cracked with the CPR but I couldn't just stand there & watch her die
Wrong again. There was no DNR. And the daughter is quite happy with the outcome. Makes you wonder why.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss21524

Appalling! Phone call is here, if the above links do not work

<object id="otvPlayer" width="400" height="268"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=fw1000&station=wpvi&sectio n=&mediaId=9015362&parentId=null&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site=" ></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed id="otvPlayer" width="400" height="268" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" allowfullscreen="true" src="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=fw1000&station=wpvi&sectio n=&mediaId=9015362&parentId=null&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site="></embed></object>

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
johnleeknoefler