Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss5491
Wikipedia Shuts Down Italian Site

Wikipedia Shuts Down Italian Site In Response To Berlusconi's New Wiretap Act

Ah, and it's NOT a joke

Quote:
Due to the prospect of a new law in Italy that would give those writing on the internet just 48 hours to remove a post or face a €12,000 fine, the Italian homepage for Wikipedia is now redirecting to a statement specifically opposing the proposed legislation.

The proposed law is known as the "DDL intercettazioni" (Wiretapping Act), and critics see it as an attempt by Berlusconi's government to censor bloggers.

The Wikipedia statement, signed "The users of Wikipedia", threatens to shut down the Italian site as the rule will contradict Wikipedia's mission:

With this announcement, we want to warn our readers against the risks arising from leaving to the arbitrary will of any party to enforce the alleged protection of its image and its reputation. Under such provisions, web users would be most probably led to cease dealing with certain topics or people, just to "avoid troubles".

We want to be able to keep a free and open-to-all encyclopedia, because our articles are also your articles - Wikipedia is already neutral, why neutralize it?

As Alex Roe of Italian Chronicles notes, Italian freedom of speech is guaranteed by Article 21 of their constitution. It's not the first time such a move has been proposed by Berlusconi's government.
Well, I've been given a reason to turn evil despite I am used to be quiet: I was concerned about Syria, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan and so on: I didn't realize that i had this shit right under my ass. Well, if it's WAR what they want, of course is not flowers what they'll get. Think twice before you vote my friends, Italy is a shiny example of what you MUST NOT allow your country to become.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Mr.Goodbar, Sharon
Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss51381
Re: Wikipedia Shuts Down Italian Site

What subject matters are they wanting stopped to merit this shutdown? Politics and things? Religion? Seems an extreme step when there are many more sites out there that cover all sorts of issues. I'm a bit confused

The Following User Says Thank You to Sharon For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Sparkle and Smut

Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss51381

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatagato View Post
Think twice before you vote my friends, Italy is a shiny example of what you MUST NOT allow your country to become.
Our country is already fucked. I could rant for ages on the matter but am drained already!

Cultural suicide. Political lies and bullshit. Natives being second fiddle almost to ethnic minorities. It SUCKS. NHS waiting lists longer due to folk coming here on 'NHS holidays' and pissing off home again. Persecution of Christians but arse-kissing of other religions. Freedom of speech and right to your own opinions no longer exists unless you speak what the cunt Lefties want to hear. ETC.

Very horrible

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharon For This Useful Post:
BrownRock, gatagato
Old 10-04-2011, 06:47 PM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss5491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon. View Post
What subject matters are they wanting stopped to merit this shutdown? Politics and things? Religion? Seems an extreme step when there are many more sites out there that cover all sorts of issues. I'm a bit confused
It's the new law that they want introduce, Sharon:
a DDL is a decree that allows those to make decisions without even listening to the parliament: they decide and that's all. In Italy, there will not be the conditions to keep on running sites like wikipedia, because if you say, for example, that Berlusconi IS a midget suffering from many complexes and that he needs to pay in order to get a woman (which is the truth), there's jail for you. It's the END of the freedom of information.

The Following User Says Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Sharon
Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 PM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss5491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon. View Post
Our country is already fucked. I could rant for ages on the matter but am drained already!

Cultural suicide. Political lies and bullshit. Natives being second fiddle almost to ethnic minorities. It SUCKS. NHS waiting lists longer due to folk coming here on 'NHS holidays' and pissing off home again. Persecution of Christians but arse-kissing of other religions. Freedom of speech and right to your own opinions no longer exists unless you speak what the cunt Lefties want to hear. ETC.

Very horrible
Look, your country is not yet fucked, though there are issues, you'll cope with them. Yoiu're used to cope with such realities, unlike Italy.
Italy is NOT a country able to make war, but we buyed F35 for an amount of €. 15.000.000.000

With the wish to NEVER use them. That money could have helped MANY workers deprieved of their jobs, if you want a terrorist, even a suicide one, i can find MANY of them, for FREE. Desperates, we are a country of desperados, Sharon.

This law, is the expression of the power of one single man: this will never happen in your country.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:42 PM
collaredgirl65
Offline:
Smartest Retard
Poster Rank:127
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8017

Makes you think about what laws your own country could pass and you might not realize it.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 PM
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:396
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1836

damn that sucks to hear what your government is planning, they tried to do that here with internet blacklist. Makes me wild

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thissiteisfuckedup For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Mr.Goodbar
Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Sparkle and Smut

Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss51381

It all does make you wonder and worry! Any informative sites could be shut down at any time. We are already under subconcious control though I try not to allow it and speak MY mind.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:07 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss61206

he's such a dictator but does have support from many italians how he leads the country and weird enough about his private life with minor teenage screw fests and such.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Australia Mate!
Poster Rank:238
I have a map of Tasmania

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3686