Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527
Widower Sues Wal-Mart, Says Bag Caused Death

By Kim Peterson 4:00 PM ET

August 29, 2013

Does it drive you crazy when store baggers put just one or two items in each plastic bag? Well, there may be a reason they do that.

A Nebraska widower is suing Wal-Mart and the company that makes its plastic bags, claiming one bag that couldn't do the job set off a tragic series of events that ultimately led to his wife's death.

The Lincoln Journal Star brings us the story of Lynette Freis, who was shopping at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Bellevue, Nebraska, in 2010. Freis bought two 42-ounce cans of La Choy soy sauce and a 2-pound bag of rice, Lori Pilger reports.

The Wal-Mart cashier put all the items into one plastic bag, which broke as Freis was walking to her car. According to the lawsuit, one can of La Choy fell on Freis' foot, broke her toe and made a deep gash.

That break in the skin led to a serious infection that could not be banished even after two surgeries and many treatments of antibiotics, the lawsuit said, according to The Journal Star. Freis died in March 2011.

Her widower, William Freis, is now suing for about $650,000, saying Wal-Mart didn't properly train its workers to fill bags. He is also suing the maker and distributor of the bags.

A Wal-Mart spokesman told The Journal Star that the company is looking at the allegations and will respond in court. "Customer safety is a top priority, and we take it seriously anytime an injury is reported in one of our stores," the spokesman added.

I don't trust those stupid bags! I double them whether or not the cashier does. If there is a line, I bag my own. Shop Rite has a habit of putting 2 or 3 items in a bag so you end with 8 or so bags!

Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Arsedestroyer, BBKF, CuriousOne, Megamel29, Pyramid_Head
Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 PM
BBKF
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:654
Female

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss838
Re: Widower Sues Wal-Mart, Says Bag Caused Death

The handles are really flimsy. I make myself walk to the grocery store, so sometimes the stuff can be heavy. I always ask them to double bag, because I am walking a long distance. They are really nice. They even tell me to take a cart if I want and just bring it back!! The thing is, it is all uphill from the store to my house, so carrying is easier, than a cart. If I wanted easy, I would just drive. To sue them, because a bag breaks is petty and they are just looking for some easy cash. Everybody sues to damn much. We have a litigous society.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBKF For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, juliemd
Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:61
The Untrollable

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388

I sat in on a jury project recently. It was pretty much just an attorney and a research group presenting a case to us prior to its going to trial, in the hopes that our opinions and decisions as mock jurors would inform both sides of the case prior to any actual in-court litigation.

I won't discuss the specifics of the case due to a legally-binding confidentiality agreement, but I can say this: it was interesting and informative to see the way each side can take the same information and run with it in different directions, and it certainly reinforced most people's beliefs that ours is indeed and overly-litigious society. But to blame just judges, lawyers, or unscrupulous citizens looking for some quick cash is a bit simplistic. Excessive litigation is a symptom -- not a cause -- of a very diseased society. There's so much more that contributes to it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Metal Mike For This Useful Post:
BBKF, diamondsmiles, HAL9000, jdankens
Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 PM
jdankens
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1010
MALE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss422

Hate to judge but I would imagine she was probably obese or with Type II diabetes.

Regardless, it's a sad world we live in where accidents and fate are no longer accepted reasons for death. Somebody has to be to blame.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdankens For This Useful Post:
BBKF, candymosh, diamondsmiles, kellyhound
Old 08-30-2013, 01:23 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKF View Post
The handles are really flimsy. I make myself walk to the grocery store, so sometimes the stuff can be heavy. I always ask them to double bag, because I am walking a long distance. They are really nice. They even tell me to take a cart if I want and just bring it back!! The thing is, it is all uphill from the store to my house, so carrying is easier, than a cart. If I wanted easy, I would just drive. To sue them, because a bag breaks is petty and they are just looking for some easy cash. Everybody sues to damn much. We have a litigous society.

I put a paper bag inside the plastic one, unless it's milk or cold items. Then, I use two of the plastic ones.

Some don't want to take responsibility for themselves

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
BBKF
Old 08-30-2013, 01:58 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12567

Coming into this post, I seriously was expecting a stupid reason. But after reading that, I can't say I blame him. I've had bags break on me because the stupid cashier wasn't smart enough to realize it was far too much weight. I hope he gets every penny he wants.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 08-30-2013, 09:31 AM
candymosh
Offline:
Poster Rank:124

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

I stopped using the plastic bags when I noticed that they rip so easily now. The reusable bags work much better and you can stuff more stuff in them.

Helps reduce the plastic waste too

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to candymosh For This Useful Post:
BBKF, diamondsmiles
Old 08-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Drusilla
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:968
Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss454

Those plastic bags are a pain. I've had a whole bottle of whiskey and a 3 litre bottle of milk shatter all over my driveway because the fuckers couldn't handle the weight. And I've seen magpies and possums get their necks stuck in the handles when fossicking for food.Not terribly environmentally friendly.
I'm ancient enough to remember when groceries were packed in paper bags. As a kid we always had a kitchen drawer full of them which we re-used for various errands and school art projects. Why don't they bring them back?
Aldi have the right idea.They don't even use disposable plastic bags.You either buy one of their re-usable bags for 20c,their sturdier material ones for $1 or you go without & they pack the food loose in your shopping trolley.Cuts down on so much waste.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drusilla For This Useful Post:
BBKF, diamondsmiles
Old 08-30-2013, 03:38 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss61220

ffs. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...-of-2/15701758

Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Raevynn
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2478
Female

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss106

I bet the victim wore flip flops. I'm unaware of a can of La Choy that can cause that kind of damage through a normal shoe. Unless their skin is as brittle as rice paper.