female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186
White Flags

It seems that all the flags Americans have put on the moon are no longer American flags.

Quote:
All the American Flags On the Moon Are Now White
Jesus Diaz
NASA has finally answered a long-standing question: all but one of the six American flags on the Moon are still standing up. Everyone is now proudly talking about it. The only problem is that they aren't American flags anymore.

They are all white.
The debate on the Moon flags has been going on for decades. Engineers and historians have been discussing it without ever coming to a definitive answer as to their status. Even Dennis Lacarruba—the manufacturer of the flags—didn't think they would still be standing erect. Lacarruba's New Jersey company, Annin, made the nylon flags for $5.50 ($33 in 2012 dollars) a piece in 1969:

I can't believe there would be anything left. I gotta be honest with you. It's gonna be ashes.

Even the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter camera man, Dr. Mark Robinson, was skeptical. Like Lacarruba, Robinson thought that there wouldn't be any trace of the flags to be found.

But his own camera has proved him wrong. The LRO has been taking photos of the Moon landing sites for a while now. They are so sharp that you can even see the tracks of the rovers.

These photos show that the shadows of the flags are still there. There's even a video showing how the shadows change as the Moon rotates. Indeed, all of them are standing up except the one left by Armstrong and Aldrin, the first two men on the Moon. The Apollo 11 lunar module crew placed the flag too close to their spacecraft and, according to Buzz Aldrin himself, it was blown away as they blasted off to rendezvous with Michael Collins, on board Columbia, their Command and Service Module orbiting the Moon.

We come in peace

So America f*ck yeah, right? Not quite. While the $5.50 nylon flags are still waving on the windless orb, they are not flags of the United States of America anymore. All Moon and material experts have no doubt about it: the flags are now completely white. If you leave a flag on Earth for 43 years, it would be almost completely faded. On the Moon, with no atmospheric protection whatsoever, that process happens a lot faster. The stars and stripes disappeared from our Moon flags quite some time ago.

According to lunar scientist Paul Spudis:

For forty-odd years, the flags have been exposed to the full fury of the Moon's environment – alternating 14 days of searing sunlight and 100° C heat with 14 days of numbing-cold -150° C darkness. But even more damaging is the intense ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the pure unfiltered sunlight on the cloth (modal) from which the Apollo flags were made. Even on Earth, the colors of a cloth flag flown in bright sunlight for many years will eventually fade and need to be replaced. So it is likely that these symbols of American achievement have been rendered blank, bleached white by the UV radiation of unfiltered sunlight on the lunar surface. Some of them may even have begun to physically disintegrate under the intense flux.

Robinson and Lacarruba agree with Spudis.

So, at the end, it turns out that the commemorative plaque left by Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins on the Eagle's descent stage, left on the surface of the Moon, was right:

Here men from the planet Earth first set foot upon the Moon.
July 1969, A.D.
We came in peace for all mankind.

Neil A. Armstrong, Michael Collins, Edwin E. Aldrin

We came in peace indeed. And here's the flag to prove it.

Now, take us to your leader.
http://gizmodo.com/5930450/all-the-a...-are-now-white

And here's a vid to go with it:

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AnneLea For This Useful Post:
Bastet, diamondsmiles, Faline, kellyhound, michmi, Seven Of Nine, smackem
Old 08-02-2012, 03:44 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
10/11 ssss61215
Re: White Flags

interesting read

Old 08-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Creepy

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 0/20
Today Posts
sssssssss

Nice. Someone needs to get back up there and take some pics. Build some moon bases rape the planet of all natural resources and what not.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:25 PM
BryanXavier
Offline:
Fiscally Irresponsible
Poster Rank:72
Male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss13013

Thanks. The article I read did not have the actual pictures of the shadows.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:54 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Something else for countries to fight about!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

Thanks

Old 08-03-2012, 03:36 PM
boltcaster_44
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2455

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss108

Always confused me how it seems like we are going backwards. Back in the space race days we were progressing, now we can't even put humans back on the moon.

The Following User Says Thank You to boltcaster_44 For This Useful Post:
AnneLea
Old 08-03-2012, 04:01 PM
bob351
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:32
male

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 11215 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss23603

interesting read, amazing how long the lander and such will be around for... who knows one day It might be under a bubble in a museum.

As for not going back to the moon, its a big rock... we found out pretty much what we wanted so there is no real point to go back.

"Now it looks like the french landed there"

Old 08-04-2012, 01:50 PM
AnneLea
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1732
female

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

I was thinking more like, "If you're out there, our whole planet decided to surrender already!"

The Following User Says Thank You to AnneLea For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 AM
smackem
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:6
Io ti amo teneramente Kelly Jo

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 10319 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
9/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss69298

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltcaster_44 View Post
Always confused me how it seems like we are going backwards. Back in the space race days we were progressing, now we can't even put humans back on the moon.
I once asked my late uncle, an IBM engineer at Cape Canaveral 20+ years, why we haven't returned to the moon. His answer was that it simply isn't a high priority and the studies done there were sufficient. It's just a lifeless moon, much bigger projects to focus on.