Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss5490
White Ethnic Britons in Minority in London

Quote:
White ethnic Britons no longer make up the majority of people in London for the first time, according to the latest census data which pointed to a cosmopolitan capital increasingly divergent from the national economy around it.

The 2011 data also revealed a population of England and Wales that is generally better educated but less religious than it was a decade ago – and less likely to live in a home that they own.

The total population rose by 3.7m to 56.1m, an increase of 7 per cent from the previous census in 2001. Migration was responsible for 60 per cent of that growth – 2.1m people.

Of the 13 per cent of the population who were born outside the UK – 7.5m residents – just over half arrived within the past 10 years. This compares with the 2001 census, when 9 per cent of the population was born outside the UK.

The surge of immigration has been especially striking in London, where more than one in three people – 37 per cent – were born outside the UK.

Only 45 per cent of London’s population were white people of English, Scottish or Welsh heritage, according to the latest data, down from almost 60 per cent in 2001.

This makes London the first UK region where white ethnic Britons have become a minority.

The top source of new migrants to England and Wales overall for the decade was India – supplanting Ireland in the decade to 2001 – while the second-biggest source was Poland. In the 2001 census, Poland did not make the top 10.

In another major demographic shift, home ownership has fallen over the past 10 years, according to this latest data, marking the first decade-on-decade decline since detailed records began 60 years ago.

The figures show how growing numbers of Britons are being locked out of the property market by high prices and a shortage of credit. The proportion of residents who either owned their home outright or owned with a mortgage fell to 64 per cent in 2011, from 68 per cent in 2001, said the Office for National Statistics.

However, a bigger proportion, 31 per cent, owned their homes outright than they did a decade ago, highlighting a growing divergence between homeowners and those unable to get on the housing ladder.

“These figures confirm that home ownership is slipping further and further out of reach, no matter how hard people work or save,” said Campbell Robb, chief executive of Shelter, the housing charity. “Young people are living at home well into their 30s . . . but unable to afford a place of their own.”

The percentage of the population renting from private landlords rose 6 percentage points from a decade earlier to 15 per cent.

Overall, the population of England and Wales has become better educated than it was a decade ago. A higher percentage have university degrees than have no qualifications, a reversal of the situation in 2001.

Levels of educational attainment in London are far higher than the national averages, with 27.2 per cent of the national population having attained a university degree or better, compared with 44.7 per cent of those living in inner London.

Indeed, in five of 14 inner London boroughs, more than half the population have university or equal level qualifications.

And Britain is apparently becoming less religious. The question on religious affiliation is voluntary, so not all applicants may have answered it. However, the percentage identifying themselves as Christian fell to 59 per cent, from 72 per cent in 2001. Christianity was the only religious group to have experienced a fall in numbers, despite the growth in the population generally.

The second-largest religious identity was none at all. In 2011, a quarter of the population said it had no religious affiliation, up from 15 per cent in 2001, according to the figures released by the Office for National Statistics on Tuesday.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4bd95562-4...44feabdc0.html
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census...les/index.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Faline, K9Grip, Sharon
Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392
Re: White Ethnic Britons in Minority in London

I'm not surprised at all

On the housing issue, it's spot on. It's really hard to own your own home and quite impossible to get any sort of council accommodation as there are too many people needing houses to live in.
I lived at home with my son until he was 6, we even had to share a bed as there was no room in the house but still i wasn't given a home to rent. I rent privately now which is expensive.
With the increasing cost of homes and cost of living there is no way i could afford to buy my own home. Pretty sure a lump sum deposit has to be put down now by first time buyers (i may be wrong).
I know years ago people would rent council homes and then buy those, was a cheaper way of owning your own home. The council stopped most of that as it was leaving less homes for people to just rent.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
gatagato, K9Grip, Sharon
Old 12-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Hobbslefthand
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:617
Malevolent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss914

This is great. I'm looking forward to being a minority, we can have protest marches and songs (cool songs not those crappy, folky type ones) and all the other great stuff that comes from being a minority. And they'll have to listen cause hey! We're a minority now right?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hobbslefthand For This Useful Post:
Creepy, gatagato, invertigo, K9Grip, Karma, pbaj12
Old 12-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
2/11 ssss51379

Oh my blood pressure...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharon For This Useful Post:
gatagato, rapeWhistle
Old 12-14-2012, 05:01 PM
ices
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss3660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I'm not surprised at all

On the housing issue, it's spot on. It's really hard to own your own home and quite impossible to get any sort of council accommodation as there are too many people needing houses to live in.
I lived at home with my son until he was 6, we even had to share a bed as there was no room in the house but still i wasn't given a home to rent. I rent privately now which is expensive.
With the increasing cost of homes and cost of living there is no way i could afford to buy my own home. Pretty sure a lump sum deposit has to be put down now by first time buyers (i may be wrong).
I know years ago people would rent council homes and then buy those, was a cheaper way of owning your own home. The council stopped most of that as it was leaving less homes for people to just rent.
The first time buyer lump sum is in the region of 10-20k for the average house.

There are offers going from developers to stimulate interest such as no interest pay later schedule and lots of freebies included such as a fitted kitchen that normally costs 5k.

The Following User Says Thank You to ices For This Useful Post:
Faline
Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Kanda444
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20137 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss49383

just a question from a dumb American (and i mean this respectfully) .... why is it such a big deal to be the minority there?

Old 12-14-2012, 09:21 PM
ices
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
3/11 sssss3660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda444 View Post
just a question from a dumb American (and i mean this respectfully) .... why is it such a big deal to be the minority there?
Because the other 'minorities' get benefits the local white population don't?

The mass transport of their society is turning the UK into no-go areas.

It isn't the only place. Poland has serious ethnic problems. Friend of mine says the main cities have huge no-go areas for whites.

If you are seen you are murdered.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ices For This Useful Post:
Creepy, Faline, gatagato, Kanda444, Karma, Sharon
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Kanda444
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20137 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss49383

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post

It isn't the only place. Poland has serious ethnic problems. Friend of mine says the main cities have huge no-go areas for whites.

gotcha... i didnt understand. thanks man.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 PM
DannyDrama
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:355
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2093

This is why I bugged out when I did. Was always having problems with the Somalis, and if not them it was the fucking Columbians. I dont mind immigration, but we only seem to get the pieces of shit no one else wants.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Creepy
Offline:
AFK
Poster Rank:47
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6540 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss18408

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post

you guys and your poles :D haha.

I would be more on about all the muslims and their scary intimidation acts. I saw it with my own eyes firsthand.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creepy For This Useful Post:
Faline, gatagato