Poster Rank:6033

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23
What's Really Going on in Syria?

Along with Iran, Syria is a country that we are watching closely. Every day you hear about deaths involving men, women, and children. American news, as well as most other mainstream news outlets, paints the picture that Syria has an evil government that kills its own people. It seems that we must act and take down the oppressive government. But is it really as simple as that?

Im an American and I have great pride in my country, and many others feel that way as well. There is nothing wrong with that. However, our intervention over in the middle east hasnt been very helpful to the people that live there. The fact of the matter is that alot of the hostility against America coming from the middle east is because of our intervention. Whats bad is if you call out America for doing the wrong thing, you are anti-American because America is NEVER wrong.

Lets face it. America has played a large role in the Syrian uprising. There are plenty of other factors that are causing hostility in Syria, but we are part of it. CIA snipers are responsible for some of the deaths which greatly amplified the unrest going on in Syria. Im not going to go into too much to this point, but plenty of info is out about CIA intervention. Look it up.

America news media is the worst. Any American news in America is going to be biased. Its common sense. Alot of people are getting their news about Syria from American media. Its all gloom and doom and half truths. Anyone notice alot of media outlets are using tragic stories in order to help justify a reason for invading. You hear terrible stories about innocent children being killed. Its manipulation and it strikes on an emotional level. Did kids die? Sadly yes, but alot of these stories really dont have concrete evidence on what exactly happened to just about every child or civilians.

America shouldnt intervene on Syrian affairs. We have nothing to do with this. If the argument is that America is morally obligated to help the oppressed, then we need to help humanity in Darfur, where things are far worse. Hell, we hear everyday that Syria is in bad shape, but you rarely, if ever, hear about the Darfur crisis. Another big mistake America has done is supply the rebels with guns against the the Syrian government. The reason being is that terrorist groups like Al-Qaeda are part of that uprising. We are giving guns to the people that attacked us. It makes no damn sense.

Ok Im done ranting. What are your thoughts on the situation in Syria?

The Following User Says Thank You to ZappaFan101 For This Useful Post:
AnneLea
Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 AM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567
Re: What's Really Going on in Syria?

Syria is a civil war, and the rebels are largely Muslim Extremists.
There has been a lot of civilian deaths, but it boils down to do would we rather a friendly dictator in power or another Taliban?
And do we really want to intervene and help overthrow a stable Government?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, Zambini
Old 06-30-2012, 02:16 AM
dean mclean
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:350
male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2115

I don't think we should intervene either, but I don't necessarily think "the US is behind it" makes sense. There's nothing in Syria of interest to us and I can't see any motivation for our government to care about it. Obviously the US excursions in the middle east have fucked up that region a lot but they were usually undertaken for some self-serving economic interest which I just don't see in Syria.
Also, a conflict between an authoritarian secular government and islamist extremists is inevitably going to be violent. Its tragic because both sides are ruthless and not afraid of civillian casualties.
What needs to happen is UN intervention. But I don't think they will since their "peacekeeping" expeditions rarely seem to have any effect. But this is the exact sort of conflict that needs to be helped from an international standpoint.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 PM
ZappaFan101
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE

Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
Syria is a civil war, and the rebels are largely Muslim Extremists.
There has been a lot of civilian deaths, but it boils down to do would we rather a friendly dictator in power or another Taliban?
And do we really want to intervene and help overthrow a stable Government?
Looking back just on the past few years, Im afraid it will come down to the Syrian government being removed. If you look at the situation in Lybia, they are in worse shape than they were under Gaddafi.

Its a bad situation, but it will get far worse if we decide to invade. It wouldnt just be Syria we would be fighting, but Russia as well. They have made it very clear for America to not invade, because they are allies with Syria, as well as Iran. Any logical thinking person who knows whats at stake would listen to Russia. However, many have this mentality that no one tells America what to do. There is nothing wrong with sticking up for yourself, but a situation like this is quite different. We are too arrogant to the point that its blinding us from the serious consequences.

AnneLea
Old 06-30-2012, 04:46 PM
gore555
Offline:
Poster Rank:12537

Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

It's all a part of new world order. A lot of the stuff that goes on in these foreign countries our own government is behind. Israel is in control of the United States and they are using the U.S military to conquer its enemies. Iraq and Afghanistan are off the list. Libya is off the list. Next up and is Syria and then Iran and eventually the entire middle east.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:52 PM
ZappaFan101
Offline:

Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean mclean View Post
I don't think we should intervene either, but I don't necessarily think "the US is behind it" makes sense. There's nothing in Syria of interest to us and I can't see any motivation for our government to care about it. Obviously the US excursions in the middle east have fucked up that region a lot but they were usually undertaken for some self-serving economic interest which I just don't see in Syria.
Also, a conflict between an authoritarian secular government and islamist extremists is inevitably going to be violent. Its tragic because both sides are ruthless and not afraid of civilian casualties.
What needs to happen is UN intervention. But I don't think they will since their "peacekeeping" expeditions rarely seem to have any effect. But this is the exact sort of conflict that needs to be helped from an international standpoint.
Like I said, America is not the only reason why there is so much hostility going on in the middle east, but our foreign policies are making this worse.

Take a look at some of the more recent attacks on our military in Afghanistan. Are terrorists still killing us? Sure. However, its not just terrorists that are attacking us. Alot of the attacks are coming from Afghanistan's military and police forces. America is being attacked from the people that we are supposed to be helping. You never really hear about it though on the news. Its quite clear that they dont want us, or any foreign intervention, over there. Our presence isnt stopping terrorism, its fueling it.

AnneLea
Old 06-30-2012, 06:35 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3655

The Syria vilolence has a shot at being bigger than what boots it can fill.

Turkey allows the rebels to operate out of its borders but Syrian troops cannot engage them there and a build-up of forces will only add to the problem.

If this area goes for an all-out slugfest then it will bring in the bigger countries.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51378

I don't know, haven't really thought about it properly

Old 06-30-2012, 11:46 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappaFan101 View Post
Looking back just on the past few years, Im afraid it will come down to the Syrian government being removed. If you look at the situation in Lybia, they are in worse shape than they were under Gaddafi.

Its a bad situation, but it will get far worse if we decide to invade. It wouldnt just be Syria we would be fighting, but Russia as well. They have made it very clear for America to not invade, because they are allies with Syria, as well as Iran. Any logical thinking person who knows whats at stake would listen to Russia. However, many have this mentality that no one tells America what to do. There is nothing wrong with sticking up for yourself, but a situation like this is quite different. We are too arrogant to the point that its blinding us from the serious consequences.
The whole Libya situation is not getting in the news lately, but its quickly becoming a civil war...... Ghadaffi was no saint, but at least he voluntarily gave up his WMD program and was trying to reintegrate into the world.
His reward for trying was basically his own death, and bet on every other nation IE Iran was taking notes.
The whole Syria situation could easily escalate IMHO too, its probably Iran's biggest ally in the region and Turkey is already trying to find an excuse to pound on the Kurds that are operating out of Iraq trying to take a part of Turkey for their homeland.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Zambini
Offline:
Instigator Extraordinaire
Poster Rank:53
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 8095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 11/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss16948

It's civil wars, we need to stay out of these revolutions.

Millions were killed in Europe in the recent past as countries went through their own revolutions, and it can take years and years to sort themselves out.

Think how many revolutions just France had, then you realize what they are in for.

It's the Middle Easts turn on the world stage for the people to rise up, and it's not going to be pretty or easy.

rob666