Ladybug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2800
West Memphis 3 Could Be Freed TODAY!!

(CNN) -- Three men convicted of killing three West Memphis boys in 1993 could be freed at a court hearing Friday, a person close to the case told CNN.

All three of the men -- Damien Echols, Jessie Misskelley Jr. and Jason Baldwin, dubbed the "West Memphis Three" -- are expected to attend the hearing in Jonesboro, Arkansas, Friday.

A source close to the case said a deal is in the works where the men can be freed Friday and maintain their innocence.

The deal involves a complicated legal maneuver in which the three men would have to acknowledge that the state has evidence it could use to try and convict them.

The case has drawn national attention, with actor Johnny Depp and singer Eddie Vedder trying to rally support for the men's release.

Echols was sentenced to death and Misskelley and Baldwin were given life sentences in the May 1993 slayings of second-graders Steven Branch, Michael Moore and Christopher Byers. The boys' bodies were mutilated and left in a ditch, hogtied with their own shoelaces.

Prosecutors argued that the men convicted, teenagers at the time, were driven by satanic ritual and that Echols had been the ringleader.

DNA later failed to link the men to the crime, and the state Supreme Court ruled in November that all three could present new evidence to the trial court in an effort to clear them.

The DNA tests were conducted between December 2005 and September 2007, according to the Arkansas Supreme Court.

The material included hair from a ligature used to bind Moore and a hair recovered from a tree stump near where the bodies were found, court documents said.

The hair found in the ligature was consistent with Branch's stepfather, Terry Hobbs, while the hair found on the tree stump was consistent with the DNA of a friend of Hobbs', according to the documents.

Police have never considered Hobbs a suspect, and he maintains that he had nothing to do with the murders.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sassieroses For This Useful Post:
Faline, gatagato, kandystar, michmi, Mr.Goodbar, Viking64
Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Slanger
Offline:
FUCK U THATS WHY
Poster Rank:175
born again lesbian

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss5560
Re: West Memphis 3 Could Be Freed TODAY!!

free them bitches

Old 08-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Slanger
Offline:
FUCK U THATS WHY
Poster Rank:175
born again lesbian

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss5560

they are getting freed

Old 08-19-2011, 02:28 PM
kandystar
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:277
Female

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3029

THE WM3 ARE NOW FREE! SO FUCKING HAPPY

Old 08-19-2011, 02:28 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss8123

All three members of the West Memphis 3 have been released from prison.

The judge had a chambers meeting with each of the defendants ... and while each of the three men is still legally guilty of the crimes, the judge explained, "in the interest of justice, they will go free."

The lead prosecutor in the case just released a statement saying, "Just moments ago Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley Jr. pled guilty to the murders of Stevie Branch, Christopher Byers and Michael Moore."

The statement continues, "Since the original convictions, two of the victims' families have joined forces with the defense, publicly proclaiming the innocence of the defendants. The mother of a witness who testified about Echols's confession has publicly questioned her daughter's truthfulness, and the State Crime Lab employee who collected fiber evidence at the Echols and Baldwin homes after their arrests has died.

In light of these circumstances I decided to entertain plea offers that were being proposed by the defense. I NEVER considered ANY arrangement that would negate the verdicts of those two juries. Guilt or Innocence was NEVER ON THE TABLE.

Today’s proceeding allows the defendants the freedom of speech to SAY they are innocent, but the FACT is, they just pled GUILTY. I strongly believe that the interests of justice have been served today."

The Following User Says Thank You to candymosh For This Useful Post:
fenek
Old 08-19-2011, 02:29 PM
kandystar
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3029

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/generic/.../Live_Stream_1

live streaming video

Old 08-19-2011, 02:34 PM
sassieroses
Offline:
Halo or Horns today?
Poster Rank:291
Ladybug

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2800

WOOHOO!!! Justice was half served today. They are FREE and the WORLD knows they are innocent even if dumbasses down there won't "declare" it!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sassieroses For This Useful Post:
fenek, kandystar
Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM
kandystar
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3029

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieroses View Post
WOOHOO!!! Justice was half served today. They are FREE and the WORLD knows they are innocent even if dumbasses down there won't "declare" it!
This is such a happy day. West Memphis news has been having a field day with this. Oh my god, I'm so fucking happy. :D

Old 08-19-2011, 03:01 PM
kandystar
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3029

This was on my tumblr dashboard:

Breaking News of the Day: After spending half their lives behind bars for a murder many believe they did not commit, Damien Echols, Jessie Misskelley and Jason Baldwin — better known as the “West Memphis 3” — are free men today, having accepted a complicated deal that required them to plead guilty to the crime.

Echols, Misskelley, and Baldwin were convicted in 1993 of murdering and mutilating the bodies of Stevie Branch, Michael Moore, and Christopher Byers, supposedly as part of a satanic ritual (the moral panic du jour at the time). Echols received a death sentence, while Misskelley was sentenced to life in prison plus two 20-year sentences. Baldwin was sentenced to life.

Unrelenting high-profile support for the innocence of the WM3 from such celebrities as Eddie Vedder and Johnny Depp spurred the re-examination of DNA evidence from the crime scene, which appeared to absolve the three men of any wrongdoing.

The confusing legal arrangement that allowed the WM3 to go free — known as an “Alford plea” — required them state that prosecution “could likely convince a judge or jury” that they were guilty, while permitting them to maintain innocence at the same time.

They were sentenced by Circuit Court Judge David Laser to 18 years with credit for time served and an additional 10-year suspended sentence. Steve Branch, Stevie Branch’s father, objected to the plea deal, telling the judge “If you go through with this, you’re going to open Pandora’s Box.”

“It’s not perfect,” said Echols at the post-release press conference, referring to the deal, “but at least it brings closure to some aspects. We can still try to clear our names but now from the outside.”

Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Mr.Goodbar
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:472
**Corpsegrinding 4 profit**

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1355

HOLY MOTHERFUCKING MOTHERFUCK FUCK YEAH FUCKING COOL!!!!!

MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME11:2gunsfir ing_v1::p imp::dance b:

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Goodbar For This Useful Post:
fenek