Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2812
Re: Vladimir Putin Signs Military Doctrine Naming NATO As Top Threat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
China's military already spends twice what's Russia's does, and their plans far exceeds what Russia is planning.
A lot of what they're developing is seemingly designed to counter American technology, such as anti satellite missiles.
They're also developing weapons systems on the same level that America currently has under development, such as a hypersonic missile system and new stealth technology ( a lot of which is believed to be stolen from America ).

You can defend with a lot less than this IMHO.
You don't start building aircraft carriers for defensive purposes.
I get what youre saying, but I still think its Chinas attempt to be taken seriously as a major world player. And to do that, you have to keep up with the Joneses', meaning that you have to have a formidable military to be able to join the club.

The Following User Says Thank You to ralucagymnast For This Useful Post:
Clubhouse
Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralucagymnast View Post
I get what youre saying, but I still think its Chinas attempt to be taken seriously as a major world player. And to do that, you have to keep up with the Joneses', meaning that you have to have a formidable military to be able to join the club.
You might be right

At this point though the only country that spends more militarily is America. Once they feel they are on an even playing field, things like the Taipei situation are going to get a lot more serious.

IMHO the bigger issue is how our governments try to tell us who the threats are, and how a lot of people will just run with whatever talking point is put out there.
It just seems like there is always a villain, and it changes arbitrarily

The Following User Says Thank You to rob666 For This Useful Post:
ralucagymnast
Old 12-30-2014, 09:48 AM
ralucagymnast
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:289

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob666 View Post
You might be right

At this point though the only country that spends more militarily is America. Once they feel they are on an even playing field, things like the Taipei situation are going to get a lot more serious.

IMHO the bigger issue is how our governments try to tell us who the threats are, and how a lot of people will just run with whatever talking point is put out there.
It just seems like there is always a villain, and it changes arbitrarily
True; Taiwan will be the flashpoint for sure I believe that, but thats not likely to happen in the foreseeable future; why would China bite the hand that feeds them, literally?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:59 PM
ralucagymnast
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:289

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob351 View Post
Clearly they didn't learn their lesson the first cold war.

The real question, how long do we let putin have his fun or are we going to let him do whatever he pleases until its too late like hitler.
Its a difficult situation for sure; the defence of Europe during the Cold War rested on the threat of the use of nuclear weapons, or for Europe to capitulate to the then Soviet Union. That was the strategy for the defence of Europe. I dont think that policy has change one iota since then. Each side would threaten the other with impending doom, etc etc. I wonder what would be the catalyst for starting such an attack? I dont see NATO going all-out over Ukraine to be honest. It does make me wonder though why NATO still exists? Its inception was a response to the Warsaw Pact, which was huge. Seeing as there is no Warsaw Pact anymore, who does NATO aim its weapons at, and why? Someone on here got it spot on by saying that "the world needs a villain". Very true words indeed. Its amazing and weird to think that the Russian civilian population still buy into the anti-Western propaganda; surely enough of them have internet access and multi-channel TV to know that its just not true, that the West doesnt live in dire poverty etc etc. The indoctrination must have gone very very deep indeed. If you think about the Russian Federation, its really just Moscow and St Petersburg, and if you walk a few hundred metres from the revamped city centres, you will see dire poverty and neglect. I just find it hard to believe that the Russian people still believe all of the bullshit? I myself was born in a communist country, Romania, under Ceausesu, and we were fed the same line; the West was decadent and evil, like Sodom and Gomorrah. The truth was very very different indeed; a real eye opener in fact!! The West had shops full of goods to buy, it was like a dream!

Old 01-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Lookdavook
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3055

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss74

Quote:
Its a difficult situation for sure; the defence of Europe during the Cold War rested on the threat of the use of nuclear weapons, or for Europe to capitulate to the then Soviet Union. That was the strategy for the defence of Europe. I dont think that policy has change one iota since then. Each side would threaten the other with impending doom, etc etc. I wonder what would be the catalyst for starting such an attack? I dont see NATO going all-out over Ukraine to be honest. It does make me wonder though why NATO still exists? Its inception was a response to the Warsaw Pact, which was huge. Seeing as there is no Warsaw Pact anymore, who does NATO aim its weapons at, and why? Someone on here got it spot on by saying that "the world needs a villain". Very true words indeed. Its amazing and weird to think that the Russian civilian population still buy into the anti-Western propaganda; surely enough of them have internet access and multi-channel TV to know that its just not true, that the West doesnt live in dire poverty etc etc. The indoctrination must have gone very very deep indeed. If you think about the Russian Federation, its really just Moscow and St Petersburg, and if you walk a few hundred metres from the revamped city centres, you will see dire poverty and neglect. I just find it hard to believe that the Russian people still believe all of the bullshit? I myself was born in a communist country, Romania, under Ceausesu, and we were fed the same line; the West was decadent and evil, like Sodom and Gomorrah. The truth was very very different indeed; a real eye opener in fact!! The West had shops full of goods to buy, it was like a dream!
you talk about propaganda and how wrong it is to spread lies, yet your post is full of them.

you ask yourself why russian people still believe "anti-western" propaganda although they got internet? because every 6 year old can read up on the internet how fucked up your government is

post ww2 economic boom was huge for US, but humans are greedy stupid fucks so now the us have to recreate this boom again in order to keep their crumbling financial system intact(too bad its 2015 and not 2003 anymore)
to be honest, you had your prime, now its time for you to fuck off and let some other people take over the wheel!

i guess you really have to be a gmo fed backwood hillbilly born in the u s a to still not see what is going on in the world

Old 01-01-2015, 11:48 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
It kind of seems like NATO has evolved into something other than it's intended purpose

The communist bloc is no more, I think it's pretty safe to say that Stalin era communism has died...... Cuba and China have evolved their ideology to something more feasible.

IMHO the whole concept of NATO started to erode when it got involved in the former Yugoslavia........ And other interventions since then.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:54 PM
niknik
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:68
Conservative OG

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 6772 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookdavook View Post
you talk about propaganda and how wrong it is to spread lies, yet your post is full of them.

you ask yourself why russian people still believe "anti-western" propaganda although they got internet? because every 6 year old can read up on the internet how fucked up your government is

post ww2 economic boom was huge for US, but humans are greedy stupid fucks so now the us have to recreate this boom again in order to keep their crumbling financial system intact(too bad its 2015 and not 2003 anymore)
to be honest, you had your prime, now its time for you to fuck off and let some other people take over the wheel!

i guess you really have to be a gmo fed backwood hillbilly born in the u s a to still not see what is going on in the world
That's just dumb. You sound exactly like a Russian.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niknik For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001, ralucagymnast
Old 01-02-2015, 04:08 AM
FunkPumpkin
Offline:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poster Rank:375
Contributions: 9

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1929

...and...so?

We've spent a generation sucking Saudi Arabia's national-cock, so we've locked-down oil and money.

All we have to do in exchange is use our #1 World War Machine to fight mercenary wars on their behalf. *sigh*

Mothers, don't let your children grow up to be oil-cowboys.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Oswald2001
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:99

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2766 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss10543

Putler is just reverting to the Cold War mindset because he has nothing else.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:19 AM
MCBR
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:76

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12857

They are cornered. They've always been cornered, now more than previous times. This is what happens when you run a petrocracy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MCBR For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001, ralucagymnast