Go Back  

VA Cemetery to Veterans: The Word "God," "Jesus" Are Offensive, No Longer Allowed 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 07-02-2011, 07:20 PM
collaredgirl65
Offline:
Smartest Retard
Poster Rank:127
Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8016
VA Cemetery to Veterans: The Word "God," "Jesus" Are Offensive, No Longer Allowed

The Houston National Cemetery has told veterans and volunteers alike that they can no longer use the word "God,""God bless," or "Jesus" at any and all funerals or condolence cards. The word has been deemed 'offensive.'

That is according to local volunteer and veterans groups that work at the cemetery. They are now suing the Cemetery in federal court so that they can use the word God.

To cite one specific example given in the suit, the director of the cemetery, Arleen Ocasio commanded volunteers never to use "God bless you" and "God bless" ever again at the cemetery.

Cheryl Whitfield, founder of Houston National Memorial Ladies, could not simply stand by. "I could've kept my mouth shut and let things happen, but when it comes to standing up for your belief in God and giving comfort to the families, I don't want to regret not saying anything," she said. "We all had to stand up for what we believe in."

Specifically, the suit brought against the cemetery and the Department of Veterans Affairs states that there has been "a widespread and consistent practice of discriminating against private religious speech."

The suit goes on to describe Ms. Ocasio's running of the cemetery:
"The doors remain locked during Houston National Cemetery operating hours, the cross and the Bible have been removed, and the Chapel bells, which tolled at least twice a day, are now inoperative. Director Ocasio only unlocks the chapel doors when meetings or training sessions are held at the building. Furthermore, it is no longer called a 'chapel' but a 'meeting facility.' "

Another man allegedly discriminated against in the suit was Vietnam veteran Nobleton Jones. After reciting the words, "We ask that God grant you and your family grace, mercy and peace" at a burial ceremony, a phrase that he has used for decades, he was told to stop.

"That makes me feel smaller, even after I spent my time in the military, fighting so that people should be able to say that," he said in response. "I did all this for my country and you are going to tell me what I can and can't say?"

Link to the article. http://punditpress.blogspot.com/2011...god-jesus.html

Sharon, smackem, TwistedPrincess, xxdead_angelxx
Old 07-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Gregore Mortis
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1159
Male

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss333
Re: VA Cemetery to Veterans: The Word "God," "Jesus" Are Offensive, No Longer Allowed

...and the dead still wouldn't give a fuck, one way or another. Seriously, a private atheist cemetery sounds like a good investment. It can be called 'Compost depot' and a true atheist wouldn't mind. Atheists believe life is an accident, yet, some hypocrites demand some sacredness with their rotting meat.

The Following Users Disliked This Post By Gregore Mortis:
ChockFullOfChock
Old 07-02-2011, 10:16 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:124

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123
Re: VA Cemetery to Veterans: The Word "God," "Jesus" Are Offensive, No Longer Allowed

The lady that runs the cemetery is being investigated. I suspect that this will end up in court.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:23 AM
smackem
Offline:
Poster Rank:6
Io ti amo teneramente Kelly Jo

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 10318 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
11/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss69298

Really? I'm sure Texas will settle this matter with firearms in some way.

The Following User Says Thank You to smackem For This Useful Post:
Xfactor
Old 07-03-2011, 01:57 AM
Hvergelmir
Offline:
Poster Rank:119
Contributions: 2

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8385

I'm atheist.
I want a funeral pyre when I die.
I don't have a reason, except they're cool.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hvergelmir For This Useful Post:
rapeWhistle
Old 07-03-2011, 04:44 AM
Blewvane
Offline:
Benevolent dictator
Poster Rank:28
Arse fucker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25730

I'm being burried with my guns, favourite knife, and 2 gold coins.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:32 AM
TwistedPrincess
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:583

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1008

whether or not you believe in jesus or god or allah or buddha or the easter bunny, this is not a subject to be taken lightly. this country is headed towards dictatorship and as long as we allow our words censored, our actions controlled, and our thoughts repressed by others, we are paving the way to becoming brainwashed subjects, no longer free to be different or unique.

maybe there is something to god and jesus. enough people seemed to be threatened by the words/names. the easter bunny isn't banned because no one is afraid of a mythical character. hitler isn't banned because no one is afraid of someone who is dead. but there is so much controversy over where prayer, jesus, god, the bible belongs and doesn't belong, its more unreal than the topics themselves.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TwistedPrincess For This Useful Post:
Ninja Delusion, Sharon
Old 07-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Zodiak
Offline:
Poster Rank:953
mail.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss466

Whatever happened to the good ol' days of mass graves?

I don't really give a damn what they do, fact is its just plain stupid for all of those people (probably elderly) to get all ruffled up becuz a cemetary wants nothing to do with Baby Jeebus, and the Magic Antelope in the sky.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Zodiak
Offline:
Poster Rank:953
mail.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss466

Whatever happened to the good ol' days of mass graves?

I don't really give a damn what they do, fact is its just plain stupid for all of those people (probably elderly) to get all ruffled up becuz a cemetary wants nothing to do with Baby Jeebus, and the Magic Antelope in the sky.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51378

So they can't say "God bless" and suchlike?????? Away ya go! That's not blasphemy or indoctrination, it's bog-standard words of comfort used all the time!