Female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssssss93
Utah Lawmaker: Bring Back Firing Squad Executions

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — In the wake of a botched lethal injection in Oklahoma last month, a Utah lawmaker says he believes a firing squad is a more humane form of execution. And he plans to bring back that option for criminals sentenced to death in his state.

Rep. Paul Ray, a Republican from the northern Utah city of Clearfield, plans to introduce his proposal during Utah's next legislative session in January. Lawmakers in Wyoming and Missouri floated similar ideas this year, but both efforts stalled. Ray, however, may succeed. Utah already has a tradition of execution by firing squad, with five police officers using .30-caliber Winchester rifles to execute Ronnie Lee Gardner in 2010, the last execution by rifle to be held in the state.

Ray argues the controversial method may seem more palatable now, especially as states struggle to maneuver lawsuits and drug shortages that have complicated lethal injections.

"It sounds like the Wild West, but it's probably the most humane way to kill somebody," Ray said.

Utah eliminated execution by firing squad in 2004, citing the excessive media attention it gave inmates. But those sentenced to death before that date still had the option of choosing it, which is how Gardner ended up standing in front of five armed Utah police officers. Gardner was sentenced to death for fatally shooting a Salt Lake City attorney in 1985 while trying to escape from a courthouse.

He was third person to die by firing squad after the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976. A couple other death row inmates have opted to die by gunfire instead of lethal injection in Utah, but they are all several years away from exhausting the appeals of their death sentences, Assistant Utah Attorney General Thomas Brunker said. Ray's proposal would give all inmates the option.

Lethal injection, the default method of execution in the U.S., has received heightened scrutiny after secrecy and drug shortages in recent years and the April incident in Oklahoma, when inmate Clayton Lockett's vein collapsed and he died of a heart attack more than 40 minutes later.

Ray and lawmakers in other states have suggested firing squads might be the cheapest and most humane method.

"The prisoner dies instantly," Ray said. "It sounds draconian. It sounds really bad, but the minute the bullet hits your heart, you're dead. There's no suffering."

Opponents of the proposal say firing squads are not necessarily a fool-proof answer.

It's possible an inmate could move or shooters could miss, causing the inmate a slow and painful death, said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Washington, D.C.,-based Death Penalty Information Center, which opposes capital punishment.

"The idea is that it would be very quick and accurate but just a little movement by the person could change that," he said. "Things can go wrong with any method of execution."

He cited a case from Utah's territorial days in 1897, when a firing squad missed Wallace Wilkerson's heart and it took him 27 minutes to die, according to newspaper accounts of the execution.

Dieter said that if Utah brought back firing squads as a default option rather than leaving it up to inmates to choose, as was the practice before 2004, it could be challenged in court.

The U.S. Supreme Court upheld the use of the firing squad in 1879, but as tastes have changed in the country since then, Dieter said it's possible a modern court could rule the practice violates an inmate's protection from cruel and unusual punishment.

Beyond the legal challenges, Dieter said it will probably bring back the kind of "voyeuristic attention" the state wanted to avoid.

For Ray, the option makes sense to avoid a situation like Oklahoma or legal fights over the blend of drugs used in lethal injections.

"There's no easy way to put somebody to death, but you need to be efficient and effective about it," Ray said. "This is certainly one way to do that."

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ghostxtiger For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, gatagato, invertigo, Oswald2001, Pyramid_Head, Sharon
Old 05-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Kanda444
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20147 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss49399
Re: Utah Lawmaker: Bring Back Firing Squad Executions

oooorrrr.....just abolish state funded revenge killings all together.

bdjackass318, invertigo, winvens
Old 05-18-2014, 12:29 PM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:258
I need a nap =|
Contributions: 43

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3276

Forget the prisoner, think about the poor guys who'd be stuck cleaning up the aftermath of that bloody mess and exposing themselves to all kinds of blood borne pathogens. The risk is very small, but it's still a risk. It's best just to play it safe and keep bodily fluids out of the equation entirely.

bdjackass318, Darkest Angel, gatagato, Kanda444, winvens
Old 05-18-2014, 12:30 PM
chefbob09
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:243
Male

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3577

Guillotine the cunts.

The Following User Says Thank You to chefbob09 For This Useful Post:
Oswald2001
The Following Users Disliked This Post By chefbob09:
winvens
Old 05-18-2014, 12:41 PM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:258
I need a nap =|
Contributions: 43

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3276

Also, whatever happened to the electric chair? Was that ruled inhumane, recently?

Old 05-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Kanda444
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20147 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss49399

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
Also, whatever happened to the electric chair? Was that ruled inhumane, recently?
no ruling federal or anything... a few states retired it because lethal injection is thought to be more humane. a lot of states use lethal injection currently but still have the electric chair as a secondary option.

bdjackass318, invertigo, winvens
Old 05-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51381

Debatable subject but I see the logic behind a revision. The quicker the better

I personally agree with the death penalty in cases of first degree murder, child rape and serial violent sex offenders. Terrorists caught with intent to carry out atrocities also.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharon For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, Oswald2001
Old 05-18-2014, 03:40 PM
bdjackass318
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST LIEUTENANT
Poster Rank:154
Contributions: 5

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6181

I'm probably in the minority here but I think executions should just be done away with. . I'm against the death penalty pretty much for one reason and that reason is that no justice system is perfect. So I am pretty sure that in the past and in the future some poor schmo will be convicted or has been convicted wrongly and therefore put to death wrongly or will be put to death wrongly when we are talking of the future. I am pretty sure that are justice system here in the States has put a few innocent people to death. So until they perfect the justice system I will be against the death penalty.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdjackass318 For This Useful Post:
invertigo, Kanda444, winvens
Old 05-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Pie
Offline:
العضو التناسلي النسوي
Poster Rank:261
Too cool for Genetalia

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3177

I think life in prison without chance of parole is more punishing than the death sentence to be honest. Sure they're still alive, but they live a long, miserable life instead.

bdjackass318, Kanda444, winvens
Old 05-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Shadedwill
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:250
Male (evidently surprisingly)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3421

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostxtiger View Post
but the minute the bullet hits your heart, you're dead. There's no suffering.
What a fucking moron. Instant death bullets don't exist. It takes a little while for them to kill you unless it hits the head just right.