Poster Rank:10161

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8
USA Behind Stuxnet Attack in Iran

I saw this today at work and thought it would be worth sharing. Sorry if it is a repost.

Dated 06-01-12

http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...-stuxnet-virus

Quote:
According to a report today in the New York Times, President Obama secretly ordered accelerated cyberattacks against the computers running Iran's nuclear enrichment facilities.

Started by the Bush administration in 2006, the stealth operation went under the handle "Olympic Games" and a major part of the project, a worm planted by spies meant to knock out enrichment facilities, went public in the summer of 2010 when the worm escaped Iran's Natanz plant because of a programming error and made it into the Internet. The president and other members of the administration then considered shutting it down, but ultimately let it continue. Two new versions of the worm hit the plant in the coming weeks and at one point shut down 1,000 of the 5,000 centrifuges Iran was using to purify uranium. After that, the worm was discovered -- though its source was unknown -- and named Stuxnet. Observers marveled at how advanced the malware was.

According to the report, it's since been shut down, but Olympic Games as a whole is marching on.

NY Times Article Being Referenced

Moderators: Feel free to move this thread as you see fit. I'm new and still learning what goes where. I wasn't sure if this belonged here or with the current events forum.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to killer4605 For This Useful Post:
Arsedestroyer, BryanXavier, dan-b, RedneckR0nin, rob666
Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 AM
RedneckR0nin
Offline:
goinggoingGONE
Poster Rank:14
I am a man yes I am and tell ya so

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 5369 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss44935
Re: USA Behind Stuxnet Attack in Iran

Not like most of us didn't know already or at least have suspicions that was the case