Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss915
Re: Urban Crime @ Brazil Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gear View Post
Personally I have zero interest in the Olympics, but if I did I sure as hell wouldn't be going to Rio to see it. I would feel the need to be armed to the teeth if I felt like going for a beer at night or during the day for that matter. People are actually taking their wife and kids there.
It's really not that dangerous if you're cautious, just don't look like a naive gringo with expensive bling and you'll be left alone. Rio is one of the most beautiful cities that I've ever visited, and the people are very friendly. It's true that you don't want to accidentally wander into the wrong neighbourhood, but entrances to such neighbourhoods are usually guarded by very well armed police.

I know Jason, the NZ "athlete"(a jujitsu fighter that had been living in Rio for a year) that got kidnapped by the policia militar a week or so ago, bad luck more than anything to run into those crooked cops, but his situation was compounded due to his journalist girlfriend putting all the details of their story all over the news which essentially made them both targets. Within a day the crooked cops had obtained their address from the tourist police and were knocking at their apartment door for "questioning"... They made the right choice and gtfo of Rio and Brazil promptly, airline tickets payed for by Fairfax media (who put them in direct danger with the tell-all story )

The Following User Says Thank You to Keydog For This Useful Post:
mmeroyale
Old 08-06-2016, 05:14 PM
kleinephoenix
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1516
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 2/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss226

I don't really think there will be any serious crimes commited during the event, the place is fenced off. Big time for the fans, poor and humiliating experience for the natives.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:45 AM
wmbondurant
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:229

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
9/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3866

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinephoenix View Post
I don't really think there will be any serious crimes commited during the event, the place is fenced off. Big time for the fans, poor and humiliating experience for the natives.
That's a bold prediction and in an ironic twist ;-)

http://www.namibian.com.na/Namibian-...age/43984/read

Namibian National Olympic Committee today confirmed that boxer Jonas Junias, 22, was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault on a cleaner in the athlete's village in Rio, the Civil Police said on Monday.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmbondurant For This Useful Post:
kellyhound
Old 08-09-2016, 10:15 AM
SkinnyFella
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:5462
Male

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss28

On a related topic, don't fuck with the Russians, I guess:

http://www.newslocker.com/en-ca/regi...ustralia/view/

Reports are emerging that Russia's vice-consul has shot and killed an assailant in the Rio de Janeiro suburb of Barra da Tijuca -- the same suburb which is home to Rio's main Olympic Park complex.

The attack reportedly occurred on the Avenue das Americas on Thursday morning Rio time, a large thoroughfare directly across a shallow lagoon from Olympic Park, and extremely close to where the Australian Olympic Committee plans to stage several open-air athlete press events on Friday, Rio time.

Rio newspaper O Globo (The Globe) reports that the vice-consul was reacting to a robbery. The 60-year-old man, whose identity was not disclosed, was driving with his wife and daughter when his car was caught in a traffic jam. Two suspects approached him on motorbikes and one broke the window of his car with a gun.

The vice-consul, who is an expert in the martial art jiujitsu, took the gun from the burglar and shot him dead. The other man ran away.

Russia has two consuls (and vice-consuls) in Brazil -- in Sao Paulo and in Rio.

The 60-year-old has been named in some media reports as Marcos Cesar Feres Braga,

But Russian news agency Tass has denied that staff from the Russian consulate were involved in any incident.

"Information circulating in the Brazilian press... about the alleged shooting of a Brazilian national by a Russian diplomat during an armed robbery does not reflect reality," said Vladimir Tokmakov, Russian consul general in Rio.

"No member of staff had "anything to do with the incident,"

Old 08-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Keydog
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:616

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss915

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyFella View Post
On a related topic, don't fuck with the Russians, I guess:

http://www.newslocker.com/en-ca/regi...ustralia/view/

Reports are emerging that Russia's vice-consul has shot and killed an assailant in the Rio de Janeiro suburb of Barra da Tijuca -- the same suburb which is home to Rio's main Olympic Park complex.

The attack reportedly occurred on the Avenue das Americas on Thursday morning Rio time, a large thoroughfare directly across a shallow lagoon from Olympic Park, and extremely close to where the Australian Olympic Committee plans to stage several open-air athlete press events on Friday, Rio time.

Rio newspaper O Globo (The Globe) reports that the vice-consul was reacting to a robbery. The 60-year-old man, whose identity was not disclosed, was driving with his wife and daughter when his car was caught in a traffic jam. Two suspects approached him on motorbikes and one broke the window of his car with a gun.

The vice-consul, who is an expert in the martial art jiujitsu, took the gun from the burglar and shot him dead. The other man ran away.

Russia has two consuls (and vice-consuls) in Brazil -- in Sao Paulo and in Rio.

The 60-year-old has been named in some media reports as Marcos Cesar Feres Braga,

But Russian news agency Tass has denied that staff from the Russian consulate were involved in any incident.

"Information circulating in the Brazilian press... about the alleged shooting of a Brazilian national by a Russian diplomat during an armed robbery does not reflect reality," said Vladimir Tokmakov, Russian consul general in Rio.

"No member of staff had "anything to do with the incident,"
Yeah it's just another opportunity to pin dodgy stuff to the Russians, as per the massive public opinion propaganda campaign pre US-RU conflict. The guy was a Brazilian local, "Marcos Cesar Feres Braga", a jujitsu expert... ffs

Old 08-09-2016, 10:48 AM
SkinnyFella
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:5462
Male

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keydog View Post
Yeah it's just another opportunity to pin dodgy stuff to the Russians, as per the massive public opinion propaganda campaign pre US-RU conflict. The guy was a Brazilian local, "Marcos Cesar Feres Braga", a jujitsu expert... ffs
Possibly. Still an awesome mental picture, though. Some dude draws a gun and smashes the window. He pulls him into the car and kills him with his own gun, then throws him out. Partner in crime flees in terror.

However, I read in some other site that he's a local lawyer working for the consulate, but I can't find the link, so who knows?

Old 08-09-2016, 11:21 PM
mmeroyale
Offline:
Poster Rank:1524
Female

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss224

Crime rated have always been sadly high here but the obscene economic crisis combined with the total lack of faith in any of the government has made it much worse. Sadly the nature of the uneducated masses here is to take advantage. Whether it's pickpocketing, selling dope or even faking olympic tickets.

Cry me a river to all the gringos coming here and experiencing it for what? 2 weeks? A month tops?
I'm stuck here as are many of us. We saw our downfall and now we're at the very bottom of the pit.

Wanna blame someone for the shit conditions of the Olympics? Blame the committee. Just as shady and corrupt as the people that made a bid for a country that obviously couldn't host this or a world cup let alone both

The Following User Says Thank You to mmeroyale For This Useful Post:
Keydog
Old 08-10-2016, 12:09 AM
Keydog
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:616

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss915

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeroyale View Post
Crime rated have always been sadly high here but the obscene economic crisis combined with the total lack of faith in any of the government has made it much worse. Sadly the nature of the uneducated masses here is to take advantage. Whether it's pickpocketing, selling dope or even faking olympic tickets.

Cry me a river to all the gringos coming here and experiencing it for what? 2 weeks? A month tops?
I'm stuck here as are many of us. We saw our downfall and now we're at the very bottom of the pit.

Wanna blame someone for the shit conditions of the Olympics? Blame the committee. Just as shady and corrupt as the people that made a bid for a country that obviously couldn't host this or a world cup let alone both
I was in Brasil earlier this year for a few months, while the ridiculous impeachment process was going on. I was astounded by the absolute blatant corruption and propaganda. But I don't let this shape my view of Brasilians or Brasil as a whole, the negative view most westerners have of Brasil is unfair in my opinion. I've felt more unsafe in other South American countries than I ever did in Brasil. I met some of the nicest, most beautiful people ever in Brasil, even the favela kids were super cool to me. Of course I'm desperately in love with a Brasileira, alas it's not working out due to our geographic separation though

Old 08-10-2016, 01:10 PM
mmeroyale
Offline:
Poster Rank:1524
Female

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keydog View Post
I was in Brasil earlier this year for a few months, while the ridiculous impeachment process was going on. I was astounded by the absolute blatant corruption and propaganda. But I don't let this shape my view of Brasilians or Brasil as a whole, the negative view most westerners have of Brasil is unfair in my opinion. I've felt more unsafe in other South American countries than I ever did in Brasil. I met some of the nicest, most beautiful people ever in Brasil, even the favela kids were super cool to me. Of course I'm desperately in love with a Brasileira, alas it's not working out due to our geographic separation though
I'm sorry about you geographical love story I understand that lol
But yes by south american standards we're not that bad, which is not exactly great but I do agree there's a painted picture of militia, horror, bullets flying and monkeys swining around with zika infestwd mosquitos biting people by the international media in general because that sells.

The government corruption in this magnitude has been happening ever since our military coup in the 60s which is why corruption and our debt is so enormous here. If you come to Sao Paulo you'll se a giant metropolis with beautiful places, amazing museums, some of the best food youll ever eat etc but very few people even know this.

Anyway. I'm sorry for the athletes that have to dive in the guanabara bay but as for thw others build a bridge and get over it. We're 3 billion dollars in debts + this olympics now too and Rio actually declared bankruptcy and asked for federal aid that the capital doesn't have so screw you all this is the best you cna have go take it up with the dumbass committee that allowed for this

Also the impeachment isn't a coup. It's sad that the official reason has to look so weak but the workers party are going down with all the money they stole. Just wait now that Lula is a defendant in the main corruption court.