Go Back  

*Update* Woman Diagnosed With Stevens-Johnson After Taking Friend's Medication! 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 12-12-2014, 12:46 PM
GODISNOTGREAT
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:233
it's free if you boof it

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3821
Re: Woman Diagnosed With Stevens-Johnson Syndrome After Taking Friend's Medicat

Pill heads, take note.

The Following User Says Thank You to GODISNOTGREAT For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 12-12-2014, 09:26 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

For those who haven't seen the side effects of this horrible affliction.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
sj2.jpg  

sj4.jpg  

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
vagabond
Old 12-12-2014, 09:30 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

Quote:
Originally Posted by killedbycuriosity View Post
I'm on Lamictal which is a mood stabilizer. I did a quick google search and they made mention that she had a sore throat so her friend shared an antibiotic.

According to the article, there have only been 6 cases in the past year, but there are some substances that can increase your risk, but it's extremely rare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ing_substances
Thank you, killedbycuriosity!

I only knew of Lamictal being connected to this condition until now, although as you stated, it is very rare.

I stand corrected!

Old 12-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Agapeti
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:687
Female
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss776
Re: *Update* Woman Diagnosed With Stevens-Johnson After Taking Friend's Medicat

Can be caused by illicit drug use or even an opiate. I doubt it was an antibiotic.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:17 PM
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2151
Female

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agapeti View Post
Can be caused by illicit drug use or even an opiate. I doubt it was an antibiotic.
There's a CNN article that was added to the original post that reported she was given an antibiotic from a friend for a sore throat. The thing is, though, is that she wouldn't have known it would happen beforehand.

She's a young girl. Assuming she's been relatively healthy throughout her life, there's no reason she would've been on antibiotics often, so there's no reason she would've known something like this would've happened.

Why would you think it's drugs?

The Following User Says Thank You to killedbycuriosity For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 12-15-2014, 04:17 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

Quote:
Originally Posted by killedbycuriosity View Post
There's a CNN article that was added to the original post that reported she was given an antibiotic from a friend for a sore throat. The thing is, though, is that she wouldn't have known it would happen beforehand.

She's a young girl. Assuming she's been relatively healthy throughout her life, there's no reason she would've been on antibiotics often, so there's no reason she would've known something like this would've happened.
This is true.

I saw a woman on one of those medical shows who had a horrible reaction from an antibiotic prescribed by her own physician.

I'll see if I can find the video clip.

Here is are a couple of videos of Yaasmeen's story from the news.

Something went wrong, try refreshing the page...

Something went wrong, try refreshing the page...

Picture and Video Clip Stats.
File Type: mp4 teen%20allergic%20reaction.mp4(2.19 MB, 28 views)
File Type: mp4 Yaasmeen2.mp4(4.13 MB, 32 views)
Old 12-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Arkoquisa
Offline:
King of East Texas
Poster Rank:272
XY
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 12/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3066

About 6 months ago I had a terrible back spasm. I started taking meloxicam after years of not taking it. I started to have some negative issues after a week or two, so i stopped with the meloxicam, and started with ibuprofin... BAD idea. Extreme fluid collection in my feet, It felt like a rolls of quarters under my skin, hallucinations, both audio and visual, blockage of esophagus, felt like a clenched fist sitting on top of my stomach, and blistering under my left fingernails, and now a dead nail bed on part of my left thumb. I stopped, but it took a week for my body to stop swelling in random places. The fingernails did have a rather unpleasant burning sensation. Turns out, you should NEVER mix those two NSAIDS. Mixing any of them is bad, but meloxicam really doesn't like its cousins.

Nothing compared to this girl, but don't fuck around with NSAIDS thinking they are nothing. I know I'm allergic to them, which ones I can handle, and after years of taking them, I though I was fine. Nope. Alieve, only took that twice in high school, both times led to horribly painful stomach ulcers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arkoquisa For This Useful Post:
vagabond
Old 12-16-2014, 01:09 AM
oldnorseman
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:660
Male

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss826

Some people are extremely allergic to antibiotics of any sort. This poor girl's affliction -- whatever the cause -- is horrifying.

The Following User Says Thank You to oldnorseman For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 12-16-2014, 01:56 AM
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2151
Female

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss133

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnorseman View Post
Some people are extremely allergic to antibiotics of any sort. This poor girl's affliction -- whatever the cause -- is horrifying.
I had an anaphylactic reaction from Sulfa. It was a terrifying event. I had a UTI and took it, obviously not knowing I was allergic. Took my second dose and woke up, struggling to breathe.

Fortunately my mom is a doctor and had her own private practice at the time (she now works in a Hospice/nursing home setting), and she sped me there as fast as possible and gave me a shot of epinephrine. My muscles couldn't stop jumping and twitching afterwards.

The Following User Says Thank You to killedbycuriosity For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 12-16-2014, 05:32 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

Found this article about how patients in Colorado with Stevens-Johnson were treated.

Young Woman Rushed to the Hospital After Suffering a Severe Allergic Reaction to Antibiotics

December 11, 2014

By Rachel Donald
Utah Peoples' Post

Two weeks ago, a young woman went to the hospital and told doctors that she had burning sensations over her entire body. The young woman, mother of a four month old baby is still struggling to survive.

Yaasmeen Castanada was diagnosed with a rare disease called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome which is a severe allergic reaction to drugs such as antibiotics. The 19 year old young mother was moved to the University of California burn center.

The young woman was feeling ill on Thanksgiving and decided to take a pill from a friend. Soon after taking the antibiotic, Yaasmeen started to feel like she was burning and was rushed to the hospital.

Dr. Victor Joe explained Yaasmeen’s condition and said that her skin is very damaged and she is covered in bandages over almost her entire body. The allergic reaction caused wounds and blisters just like burns do. He also said that the patient’s skin is basically falling off her body.

This rare disease can affect a lot of the body`s functions such as swallowing, eyesight and taste. The doctors are mainly concerned about the patient’s eyesight. They said that the disease caused scarring of the corneas which could leave her blind.

Patients who are affected by Stevens-Johnson Syndrome show symptoms on 30 percent of their body at the most. Doctors realized that the young woman had more than 50 of her skin damaged, thus they concluded she might have Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis. The mortality rate of these diseases is higher than 25 percent but treatment and diagnosis on time could improve chances of recovery.

Dr. Joe said that even if these conditions are very scarce, the burn center he is currently leading had already six cases this year. The last patient diagnosed had left a week ago after he was treated for two months.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that last year in Colorado, they documented the first Stevens-Johnson Syndrome outbreak. When officials started to test the community members that presented symptoms they discovered that many had Mycoplasma pneumonia also called walking pneumonia. Then they started to focus on possible treatments as being the cause of this outbreak.

A detailed report from the CDC reads that 93 percent of patients that were treated in Colorado during that outbreak had low resistance to the recommended treatment which was azithromycin. The patients were exposed to macrolides, which are antibiotics used as treatment for Mycoplasma pneumoniae.

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
vagabond