Go Back  

*Update* Woman Diagnosed With Stevens-Johnson After Taking Friend's Medication! 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 12-11-2014, 01:41 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528
*Update* Woman Diagnosed With Stevens-Johnson After Taking Friend's Medication!

Video may be played here:

http://6abc.com/news/student-hospita...cation/430503/

KABC

By Leanne Suter

December 10, 2014

ORANGE, California -- A young woman is in intensive care after having an allergic reaction to her friend's medication that has caused her body to burn from the inside out.

"Heartbreaking, just unreal. Just watching your daughter burn in front of you, literally burn in front of you," said Laura Corona, the mother of 19 year old Yaasmeen Castanada.

Covered in bandages, Castanada fights for her life in the burn ward at UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange, California.

The Cal State L.A. sophomore suffered a life-threatening allergic reaction called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome.

"It can be considered a burn from the inside out because of mucosal involvement," said dermatologist Dr. Lawrence Matt.

The teen took the medication on Thanksgiving because she had been sick. Less than 24 hours later, she was hospitalized and on a ventilator, her body breaking out in massive blisters as if she had been burned from head to toe.

Corona says her daughter took the medication believing it would make her better, completely unaware it would be toxic to her body. She is warning others to be aware of the danger.

"First of all, don't share medication, don't give someone else your medication, don't offer medication," she said. "Another thing also, go get yourself checked out and your kids checked out, because you don't know what you're allergic to. You don't."

The 19 year old, who has a 4 month old daughter, is studying civil engineering. The family is devastated her life has taken such a dramatic turn.

Corona has just one wish for her daughter this Christmas.

"For her not to suffer. That's all I want," she said.

Castanada faces a long road to recovery, including extensive rehab. The family has set up a GoFundMe account.

You can donate here: www.gofundme.com/YaasmeenCastanada

**Update**

Tony Marco and Catherine E. Shoichet, CNN

December 11, 2014

(CNN) -- It started with a sore throat on Thanksgiving and an antibiotic from a friend who wanted to help.

Now, 19 year old Yaasmeen Castanada, is fighting for her life inside a California hospital's burn unit, suffering from an allergic reaction that's so severe she has large open wounds all over her body.

"It is heartbreaking. Every day is a different look. Every day, she's like, shedding away. ... Overnight, it's a whole different person that you're looking at," Martha Hughes, Castanada's aunt, told CNN affiliate KABC.

Doctors diagnosed Castanada with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, a rare disease that can be triggered by antibiotics or other medications.

"When she took the medication, she started having a hard time breathing, and she told her mom that her lips were burning, her throat, her eyes, they got so red that she couldn't talk. So she rushed her to the ER, and that's when they diagnosed her with the disease. And from there it has just spiraled to a nightmare," Hughes said.

Now Castanada, the mother of a 4 month old, is in critical condition at the University of California, Irvine, burn center.

Her prognosis is good, even though the disease has a high mortality rate, according to Dr. Victor Joe, the center's director.

But the situation, Castanada's family says, has been devastating.

"Just unreal, just watching your daughter burn in front of you, literally, burn in front of you," her mother, Laura Corona, told KABC. "Every day, a new blister, a new burn, a new scar. And she's just, 'Mommy, I want to go home.' And I can't take her home. I can't put water on her lips."

On a website created to raise funds for Castanada's care, her mother said the harrowing ordeal began soon after her daughter took the medicine.

"A friend offered her an antibiotic pill that she had from a previous illness," Corona wrote. "She was thinking that it would help her. This would be the biggest mistake of her life."

Now, Corona says she's hoping to spread the word so others don't make the same mistake.

"Don't share medication. Don't give someone else your medication. Don't offer medication," she said.

She also advises parents to find out what their children are allergic to -- before it's too late.

At first, doctors diagnosed Castanada with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, which refers to a condition where between 10% and 30% of the skin on the body is affected, Joe said.

Now she's experiencing Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis, the diagnosis when more than 30% of the body is affected. Joe estimates that 65% of Castaneda's skin and mucus membranes have been affected.

The allergic reaction is causing layers of Castaneda's skin to separate, Joe said, creating lesions that grow into large open wounds.

"Patients can experience problems with taste, swallowing, eyesight and sexual functions can be affected. In Yaasmeen's case, we are particularly concerned because her eyes have been affected. This can cause scarring of the corneas, which could lead to permanent blindness," he said. "We are trying to prevent that from happening."

Photos on the fundraising website show Castanada lying in a hospital bed, with openings for her eyes cut from the bandages that cover her.

As part of her treatment for the disease, doctors have wrapped her body in a special dressing, Joe said.

"We have chosen to place a dressing that adheres to the open wound, which allows her skin to heal without having to remove the bandages to wash the wounds," he said.

Mortality for those suffering from Stevens-Johnson Syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis can be as high as 25% in adults, but tends to be lower with early treatment, according to the Merck Manual.

Though it's uncommon, Joe said his hospital has treated around six cases in the past year, because the burn center has experience treating open wounds.

"This is very sobering. The fact that you can get a life-threatening situation from taking a medication. It can happen, and most people don't think twice about taking pills for things," Joe said. "In fact, most of the time you do have some sort of side reaction to medication, just not this severe."

After recovering from Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, patients usually only have minor issues with their skin, such as dryness, Joe said.

"Hopefully, new skin will come in," Corona told KABC. "I'm just there watching. All I can tell her is, "Hang on, hang on. It's almost over.'"

CNN's Joseph Netto and Deborah Goldschmidt contributed to this report.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
yaasmeen2.jpg  

yaasmeen3.jpg  

yasmeen5.jpg  

yaasmeen8.jpg  

yasmeen6.jpg  

yaasmeen10.jpg  

yaasmeen%20baby.jpg  

yaasmeen12.jpg  

yaasmeen%20baby2.jpg  

Attached Images

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, katzmeow, Kelseecat65, Pigeon, Pollucy, Pyramid_Head, Rednose, thckoitin, toniesa, vagabond, wujuan, Xfactor
Old 12-11-2014, 01:51 AM
vagabond
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:141
female

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6979
Re: Woman Diagnosed With Stevens Johnson Syndrome After Taking Friend's Medicat

That is horrible- is this happening more often? I wish they would tell us what drug it was... Great post!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vagabond For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, moonleya
Old 12-11-2014, 01:53 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528
Re: Woman Diagnosed With Stevens Johnson Syndrome After Taking Friend's Medicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
That is horrible- is this happening more often? I wish they would tell us what drug it was... Great post!
Thank you!

vagabond, I was able to get a couple of pictures from the video. I am looking for a thread I thought I started on this condition.

I do know a few of our members have it. Lamictal is the drug those individuals took.

As to why it is happening, people are getting stupider, me thinks. She has a little baby girl, too.

This has nothing to do with this case, but, I believe this is the newsman who looks like a rapist he was showing a sketch of during a broadcast. I am on my backup computer and cannot access it. That is funny! This is not!

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
vagabond
Old 12-11-2014, 02:24 AM
vagabond
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:141
female

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss6979
Re: Woman Diagnosed With Stevens-Johnson Syndrome After Taking Friend's Medicat

She is very beautiful- I hope she pulls thru

The Following User Says Thank You to vagabond For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 12-11-2014, 03:35 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
She is very beautiful- I hope she pulls thru
She is. She made a really bad, uninformed choice.

vagabond
Old 12-11-2014, 03:58 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

vagabond, I found a couple of clear shots of her baby. The one with the crown was posted October 2 on her fb page. The one in the car seat on August 8. Big baby!

Her pinterest account is all pictures of babies and baby items. :(

vagabond
Old 12-11-2014, 04:37 AM
Rednose
Offline:
My Rank: SERGEANT
Poster Rank:688
Contributions: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss775

Wow, that's a heavy allergic reaction.
I hope the young woman recovers soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rednose For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 12-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Mr Poo
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:122

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4489 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173

WTF was the medication??

Old 12-11-2014, 08:46 PM
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2150
Female

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss133

I'm on Lamictal which is a mood stabilizer. I did a quick google search and they made mention that she had a sore throat so her friend shared an antibiotic.

According to the article, there have only been 6 cases in the past year, but there are some substances that can increase your risk, but it's extremely rare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ing_substances

The Following User Says Thank You to killedbycuriosity For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 PM
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2150
Female

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss133

Basically ALL antibiotics, NSAIDs, and a couple other assorted medications.

I don't necessarily think it was just because she shared the medication, but it didn't help her.

The Following User Says Thank You to killedbycuriosity For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles