Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3275
Re: Waitress Denied Tip for 'Gay Lifestyle' Gets Flood of Support

The cooks? No.
Chefs make decent money, but they barely (if at all) work in the kitchen. Sous chefs do alright, depending on the restaurant but
Line cooks are lucky to make 15 cents over minimum wage, Lead line cooks (my position at that time) make a little more, but waitresses always out do us at the end of the day. It's kind of bullshit, actually...

BBKF, diamondsmiles
Old 11-19-2013, 09:45 PM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:258
I need a nap =|
Contributions: 43

Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3275

*Although, it is worth mentioning that I've worked with several waitresses in the past that split their tips with the kitchen staff even though they weren't required to

BBKF, daughterofthenight, diamondsmiles, Kelseecat65
Old 11-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda444 View Post
that's not true... the average for a cashier at McDonalds is around $7.75 per hour while the national mean for being a server is $8.95 plus tips they are both in the food service industry, so they should make the same and no tips (imo)

i have a lot of family and friends (really they are my wife's friends but ) that are servers locally and they make bank! especially if they are working as a bartender.

when i started working at Lowes, i made $8 an hour and i busted out pallet after pallet of 5 gallon paint buckets (not to mention load lumber and other heavy ass shit into other people's cars) daily and i would get my ass fired if i accepted a tip (not to mention i worked directly with the public and took phone orders as well)... how is that kind of a job less deserving of tips than a server's job?

Server minimum wage can vary based on state. In the state I live in, Illinois, the minimum is now $4.95. It was less than that when I was serving. http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

So, unless a restaurant wants to be generous and pay their wait staff more (rare), the hourly pay in Illinois would be $4.95. The restaurant I worked at would increase the hourly pay by 5 cents a year, providing the server passed a written test and scored high enough on the evaluation.

I don't understand a general moral opposition to tipping, unless it's based on lack of understanding of how much the server is actually paid. I understand not tipping if the service was lousy, but other than that it just doesn't make sense.

ETA: I never said other jobs didn't deserve tips. Only that tips for servers are meant to make up the difference between regular minimum wage and server minimum wage.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
BBKF, diamondsmiles, Kanda444, luciddrmr
Old 11-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 20101 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
3/11 ssss49337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
Server minimum wage can vary based on state. In the state I live in, Illinois, the minimum is now $4.95. It was less than that when I was serving. http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

So, unless a restaurant wants to be generous and pay their wait staff more (rare), the hourly pay in Illinois would be $4.95. The restaurant I worked at would increase the hourly pay by 5 cents a year, providing the server passed a written test and scored high enough on the evaluation.

I don't understand a general moral opposition to tipping, unless it's based on lack of understanding of how much the server is actually paid. I understand not tipping if the service was lousy, but other than that it just doesn't make sense.

ETA: I never said other jobs didn't deserve tips. Only that tips for servers are meant to make up the difference between regular minimum wage and server minimum wage.
here the minimum wage is 9.19 so they make quite a bit here. they make us much as anybody else... i just dont think we should feel socially obligated to tip just 'because' i dont feel it's wrong to tip them, i just dont do it unless the service is outstanding, which is very rare

Old 11-19-2013, 10:37 PM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
I need a nap =|

Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3275

Quote:
here the minimum wage is 9.19 so they make quite a bit here. they make us much as anybody else... i just dont think we should feel socially obligated to tip just 'because' i dont feel it's wrong to tip them, i just dont do it unless the service is outstanding, which is very rare
Name:  drano.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  23.9 KB

Kanda444
Old 11-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
I don't know where 'here' is but $9.19 is over a dollar more than regular minimum wage here, in Illinois. And over twice what serving minimum wage is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
Kanda444
Old 11-19-2013, 11:13 PM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
I need a nap =|

Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamel29 View Post
I don't know where 'here' is but $9.19 is over a dollar more than regular minimum wage here, in Illinois. And over twice what serving minimum wage is.
He's in Warshington

Kanda444, Megamel29
Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 PM
BBKF
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:654
Female

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss838

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhOLapbNwaST! View Post
I'm going to call bullshit on that one.^ It would be too risky, you never know who is allergic or sensitive to what.

Murine has a decongestant in it that is contraindicated for use in those who are taking Furazolidone, MAOI antidepressants, and those who have narrow angle glaucoma.

No matter how much you piss off your flight attendant, I doubt his/her job is worth losing on your account.

Doesn't mean he/she won't spit in your food though.
I am sure this is true. No one has died yet. A passenger has to be a real asshole to get 2-3 drops of murine in his/her cocktail/coke, but it is done. I have seen it done and I have seen the results. Why would I lie.

The Following User Says Thank You to BBKF For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 11-20-2013, 12:07 AM
BBKF
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:654
Female

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss838

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post
I thought cooks made ok money compared to the waitresses.
I don't know how the cooks are paid. The only waitressing I have done is working banquets part time at a Hotel and they had a chef and a couple of sous chefs. I know the chef did quite well. I was a cocktail waitress in my early twenties and Kanda is right. I would come home with my pockets full of tip money. I only was paid $2.00 an hour, though. We did not have to declare our tips and they were not taxed in the old days.

I have been told that some people have spit on food or did nasty things to it, but never witnessed it personally, so I do not know if it is really true.

The Following User Says Thank You to BBKF For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 AM
luciddrmr
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1119
female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss351

It's amazing that people don't realize servers LIVE off tips NOT their paychecks. Most do not get a paycheck it goes to taxes and you STILL owe money at the end of the year. I DARE any one of you non tippers to get a job in the industry you WILL change your tune. You are basically working on commission. Sure there are days you may do very well it sometimes makes up for the days you only make $3 an hour.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to luciddrmr For This Useful Post:
BBKF, daughterofthenight, diamondsmiles, Kelseecat65, Megamel29