Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526
*Update* Toddler Abducted Three Decades Ago Surfaces in San Diego

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/templates...nsite&rand=318

By Candice Nguyen, R. Stickney and Christina London, NBCSanDiego.com

November 11, 2013

A woman whose toddler was abducted by her estranged husband and taken to Mexico three decades ago recently discovered her son is back in the United States.

Kathy Amaya told NBC 7 she hasn’t seen her son David since he was just a toddler. Her husband at the time took the boy to Mexico, and she said she’s been looking for the child, who she tried to report missing, ever since.

"I went to file a report, and they were saying they couldn't do anything because he was in Mexico," Kathy told our sister station WEAU in an interview Monday.

David Amaya was raised by his grandparents in Mexico and doesn’t speak English. His father told David he was American, but didn't tell his son that he was taken from the country without his mother's permission.

“My father told me my mother had left me abandoned and orphaned,” David told NBC 7 through an interpreter.

“I don’t know my mother, and I find out she’s been looking for me for 30 years, and I have the longing to meet her for the first time,” he said.

David's father and aunt took him to Mexico under a one month permit to visit his grandparents. However, he said his father left him there and visited only a handful of times over the last three decades.

On October 30, David tried crossing the U.S./Mexico border without documents. U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents detained him for two days with a group of undocumented immigrants.

“They did not believe me that I was an American,” David said through a translator. But indeed, his birth certificate shows the 37-year-old was born in Chicago in 1976.

Kathy said she received a call from the Border Patrol in San Diego.

"They told me that they had someone detained that was crossing the border and he said his name was David Amaya," she said."I wasn't sure if it was him, so we did some research and found out it was."

Iglesia de Cristo Ministerios Llamada Final Inc de San Diego, based in Point Loma, is providing food and shelter for David as the ministry tries to raise the funds to get him to Wisconsin so he can see his family.

The ministry’s pastor also helped organize a phone call between David and his mother. Even though the two don’t speak the same language, the pastor said the reunion was emotional.

Kathy Amaya told NBC 7 that David has four siblings, and she’s excited to have the family reunited.

"He just told me that he doesn't hold anything against me," she added. "So that makes me happy."

David finished high school in Mexico and studied music in Monterrey, Mexico. He plays drums and went on tour with a band.

He said now he wants to focus on learning English and pursuing his career as a musician.

He also wants to seek medical treatment for injuries he sustained in a serious vehicle accident.

David lost vision in his left eye and has some pain in his throat from a piece of metal that pierced his skin in the crash.

**Update**
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhOLapbNwaST! View Post
Further news, good Samaritans in San Diego, a father and son watching the news, bought airline tickets for David to travel and go see his mother. The church he is staying with helped him purchase his birth certificate so that he could apply for a state ID.

**Man Abducted as Toddler Reunites With BP Agents**

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...232132171.html

David Amaya, 37, was abducted by his father and taken to Mexico more than 30 years ago

By Candice Nguyen

November 17, 2013

Agents at the Imperial Beach Border Patrol Station speak exclusively to NBC 7 about finding a man-- David Amaya, 37-- in an Imperial Beach canyon and later discovering he was an American citizen who had been abducted as a toddler. NBC 7's Candice Nguyen reports on the reunion between Amaya and Border Patrol Agent Troy Matthews.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/video/#...ents/232287721

Agents at the Imperial Beach Border Patrol Station spoke exclusively to NBC 7 San Diego Friday about finding a man in an Imperial Beach canyon and later discovering he was an American citizen who had been abducted as a toddler.

Agent Troy Matthews said around 9 p.m. on October 30, patrolling agents found a disheveled David Amaya, 37, in Goat Canyon with several undocumented immigrants.

They learned Amaya had traveled several hundred miles from near Mexico City to cross the border into the United States.

Amaya told the agents he was an American citizen. Agents at the Imperial Beach station took initiative and looked into his case.

Reunion in Works for Man Abducted as Toddler

There are new developments in the amazing story surrounding a toddler abducted more than 30 years ago and just discovered crossing the border into San Diego. Unfortunately, David Amaya had no money to meet his mother in Wisconsin— until the right people heard his story. NBC 7’s Todd Strain reports.

Kathy Amaya told NBC 7 she hasn’t seen her son David since he was just a toddler. Her husband at the time took the boy to Mexico and she said she’s been looking for the child ever since. They found Amaya had a birth certificate out of Chicago, and were able to contact Amaya’s mother.

“I get a phone call, ‘Hey Sir, you’re not going to believe this. This guy is telling the truth. We contacted his mother. She’s been looking for him for over 30 years,’“ Agent Matthews said, describing the moment agents pieced everything together.

When they told Amaya they contacted his mother, Agent Matthews said Amaya was visibly overwhelmed with emotion.

“He kept looking around the room trying to make eye contact with somebody to verify. He was looking for the truth. When he realized it, he put his head in his hands and started crying,” Agent Matthews recalled.

Matthews told NBC 7 there wasn’t a dry eye in the room.

“The most touching moment was when he said he was abandoned. His father told him his entire life his mother abandoned him and left him as a baby. The mother said, ‘Please tell him that’s not true. That’s not true. I’ve been looking for him,’“ he explained.

Imperial Beach Border Patrol agents say they were so touched by Amaya's story, they started a collection box for Amaya at the station. They raised about $175 and gave it to Amaya on Friday.

Amaya's story has received national attention, with many strangers coming forward offering donations to help cover travel costs for Amaya to finally reunite with his mother.

If you would like to donate to Amaya's fund, donations can be made at any Cabrillo Credit Union under the account name "David Amaya Barrick."

Additionally, donations can be mailed to:

Cabrillo Credit Union
Re: David Amaya Barrick
10075 Carroll Canyon Road
San Diego, CA 92131

You can also wire money to Cabrillo Credit Union:

Attn: David Amaya Barrick
Routing number: 322274488

In support of David Amaya Barrick and the agents from the Imperial Beach Border Patrol Station, Cabrillo Credit Union donated $250 to get Amaya started.

Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, gatagato, IC10021, Kelseecat65, Megamel29, Oswald2001, Pyramid_Head, Stalker420
The Following Users Disliked This Post By diamondsmiles:
subhuman
Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615
Re: Toddler Abducted Three Decades Ago Surfaces in San Diego

POS father!! At least now he knows that his mom didn't abandon him!!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, daughterofthenight, diamondsmiles, gatagato, IC10021, Megamel29
Old 11-18-2013, 02:04 AM
IC10021
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:1182

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss324

Quote:
David's father and aunt took him to Mexico under a one month permit to visit his grandparents. However, he said his father left him there and visited only a handful of times over the last three decades.
What creeps the father & aunt are! Sad. Poor kid; poor mom.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IC10021 For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight, diamondsmiles, Megamel29
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 AM
sassieroses
Offline:
Halo or Horns today?
Poster Rank:291
Ladybug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2800

It amazes me that people would be a part of keeping a child from his mother in this kind of situation!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sassieroses For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight, diamondsmiles
Old 11-18-2013, 04:25 AM
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:30
guess

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss24741

Further news, good Samaritans in San Diego, a father and son watching the news, bought airline tickets for David to travel and go see his mother. The church he is staying with helped him purchase his birth certificate so that he could apply for a state ID.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daughterofthenight For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Megamel29
Old 11-18-2013, 04:28 AM
sassieroses
Offline:
Halo or Horns today?
Poster Rank:291
Ladybug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2800

Quote:
Now THAT is cause for celebration!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sassieroses For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight, diamondsmiles, IC10021
Old 11-18-2013, 05:55 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Cool

Thanks for that update, adhOLapbNwaST!

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight
subhuman
Old 11-18-2013, 05:57 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieroses View Post
It amazes me that people would be a part of keeping a child from his mother in this kind of situation!!
The sperm donor kept him from his mother and had no part in raising him! Sick fuck!

Maybe his sister couldn't have children so he gave her the baby.

subhuman
Old 11-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566
Re: *Update* Toddler Abducted Three Decades Ago Surfaces in San Diego

What was the fucking point of taking the child away from his mother and only visiting the kid a handful of times in 30 years?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, daughterofthenight, diamondsmiles, IC10021
Old 11-18-2013, 08:15 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526
Re: *Update* Toddler Abducted Three Decades Ago Surfaces in San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid_Head View Post
What was the fucking point of taking the child away from his mother and only visiting the kid a handful of times in 30 years?
Spite, most likely! Perhaps the mother was taking care of the baby and ignoring the sperm donor

I hate couples who drag children into their issues

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
daughterofthenight, IC10021
subhuman