Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3276
Re: Michael Schumacher Injured in Skiing Accident in France

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreisGreat View Post
Doubt it. With a net worth of $800,000,000, i'm sure there's many layers of rent a cops to ensure no one with a camera can get anywhere near him.
Christ...

No disrespect to the families, but it annoys me to see all these hot shot race car drivers raking in hundreds of millions for driving like maniacs while EMTs (who hardly have a risk-free work environment) are lucky to make $13 an hour.
People sure do love their entertainers, these days

durt, Megamel29, shinycatcreations
Old 02-02-2014, 10:04 PM
Clubhouse
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:7

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 25063 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss65212

Schumacher 'may take months to emerge from coma', say doctors as they test whether nerves leading to his brain and back still function.

Michael Schumacher is being taken out of artificial coma gradually

Experts say there is still no guarantee he will make a full recovery

Medics are believed to have started medical procedure earlier this week

Formula One star is having treatment to prevent muscle atrophy

By Mail On Sunday Reporter

PUBLISHED: 19:30 EST, 1 February 2014 | UPDATED: 11:01 EST, 2 February 2014

Michael Schumacher may take weeks or months to come out fully from the artificial coma he has been in for five weeks following his skiing accident, say experts.

There are still no guarantees the seven-times Formula 1 champion will recover his health completely.
As the anaesthetic keeping him under is slowly reduced, doctors treating him will expand the tests on his reflexes.

‘These are to ascertain if the nerves leading to the brain and back to the muscles are functioning,’ said Professor Heinzpeter Moecke, head of the Institute for Emergency Medicine in Hamburg.

Schumacher, who spent his 45th birthday in the medically induced coma at Grenoble Hospital, is having his joints and limbs massaged daily to prevent muscles atrophying.

Earlier this week he was said to be ‘responding to instructions’ as doctors gradually bring him out of his coma.

The seven-time Formula 1 world champion is also reported to have blinked during brain tests.

He has undergone a number of neurological exams since Monday and has responded ‘positively’, according to L’Equipe newspaper which cited ‘very reliable sources’.

After gradually reducing the sedation of the patient, the team of head doctor Emmanuel Gay have been testing his neurological reflexes since Monday.

'During the early stages the patient blinked,' the leading sports newspaper reported.

Schumacher suffered serious head injuries when he fell and hit the right side of his head on a rock in the French resort of Meribel on December 29.

He has been in an induced coma in Grenoble University Hospital since then, although his condition stabilized following surgery after initially being described as critical.

'Michael's sedation is being reduced in order to allow the start of the waking up process which may take a long time,' Schumacher's manager, Sabine Kehm, said in a statement.

Schumacher was being kept artificially sedated and his body temperature was lowered to between 34 and 35 degrees Celsius (93.2 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit), to reduce swelling in the brain, reduce its energy consumption and allow it to rest.

Kehm said she was only providing an update now on Schumacher's condition to clarify media leaks, and that no further details would be provided.

French newspaper l'Equipe first reported on Wednesday that doctors had started trying to wake up Schumacher.

Experts said it was a good sign that Schumacher's doctors were trying to bring him out of the coma and that the first 24 hours would be critical.

'It means they have probably seen the pressure in his skull reduced,' said Dr. Clemens Pahl, a brain trauma expert at King's College Hospital in London.

Pahl warned that if Schumacher hasn't recovered enough to wake up on his own, doctors might need to put him back in the coma.

'It could be that swelling in his brain hasn't come to an end yet so they might need to increase the medications again,' he said.

Pahl said that wasn't uncommon in patients with brain injuries and that sometimes it took several attempts to bring someone out of an induced coma.

Brain experts said it will be fundamental to determine whether Schumacher was aware of his surroundings and could respond to basic commands from doctors, like raising his hand.

'This is a test to see what his function is like,' said Dr. Anthony Strong, an emeritus chair in neurosurgery at King's College London.

He said that once the sedatives wear off, Schumacher's doctors would see if he can breathe on his own and if he responds to mild pain stimulus, like gentle pressing on his eyebrows.

'Doctors will want to see if he can say `hello,' if he probe his recollection of events and to see if he can recognize family members and remember his own identity,' Strong said.

If Schumacher doesn't respond to their voice, they will also look to see if he tries to pull out any of the tubes in him or rip the dressing off his wounds - which would be a sign that he is aware of where he is.

Still, experts said it would likely be months before Schumacher's prognosis becomes clear - and that lasting brain damage was a possibility.

'If he pulls through, he may not be the man he was,' said Dr. Tipu Aziz, head of neurosurgery at Oxford University.

'Given the length of time he's been in (intensive care), he has clearly had a very severe head injury,' he said.

'It's too early to know how intact he will be, but I would guess there is going to be some kind of lasting damage.'

Schumacher earned universal acclaim for his uncommon and sometimes ruthless driving talent, which led to a record 91 race wins.

He retired from Formula One in 2012 after garnering an unmatched seven world titles.

His accident happened on a family vacation in the Alps as Schumacher was skiing with his 14-year-old son.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rain-work.html

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Clubhouse For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, BBKF, durt, Faline, gatagato, Megamel29, Photoplay
Old 02-02-2014, 11:35 PM
rapeWhistle
Offline:
Hand of the King
Poster Rank:15
Standing by...
Contributions: 53

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 21618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40871

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
Christ...

No disrespect to the families, but it annoys me to see all these hot shot race car drivers raking in hundreds of millions for driving like maniacs while EMTs (who hardly have a risk-free working environment) are lucky to make $13 an hour.
They should get sponsors and put stickers all over their ambulances.

i'm not sure i'd have the patience to deal with an aging pig.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rapeWhistle For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, BBKF, durt, gatagato, p4irs
Old 02-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Clubhouse
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss65212

Michael Schumacher dead rumours denied by doctors treating Formula 1 ace.

It comes after wild rumours started spreading on social networking sites, including Twitter, that the 45-year-old had passed away.

Doctors treating Formula 1 ace Michael Schumacher have been forced to deny the seven-times world champion has died.

It comes after wild rumours started spreading on social networking sites, including Twitter, that the 45-year-old had passed away.

A spokesperson for the Grenoble hospital where the racing driver is being treated immediately put out a statement saying: "The hospital denies that Michael Schumacher has died."

Meanwhile top neurosurgeon Dr. Munther Sabarini told how Schumacher’s brain cells will be “working together like a Formula One team” in a bid to get him to wake up from his six week long coma.

And because of his age and fitness he has better odds of recovering from the trauma.

He said:” So if a driver shows weakness, then another driver takes over under the new situation. So it is with the brain cells.

“You can support brain function with a lot of resources so the healing process is accelerated and cause as little damage as possible.

“Typically high-energy bodily functions are shut down during a coma. Only after awakening can they be enabled again. The vital signs are observed and corrected.

“It is then up to the doctors to do a great deal; physiotherapy, mental care, treatment of new or old diseases.

“Depending on the aid required the patient receives medication - usually called neuro vitamins - but the measures applied vary strongly from case to case.

“After awakening one needs a few months to a few years to learn to overcome physical changes. Young and healthy people like Schumacher have better chances to recover from such a trauma.”

The race ace’s medical team at the Grenoble University Hospital in France announced last week they are slowly reducing the anaesthetic that has kept the father-of-two unconscious since his low-speed ski accident on December 29 when he smashed his head on to rocks.

But the process could take many more weeks. Anaesthetic gases which may have accumulated in his body’s fatty tissue must be removed extremely slowly.

But there have been no facial or bodily responses to his environment, according to medical sources.

Schumacher will be receiving food through a tube to his stomach, oxygen via a hose from a machine next to his bed as he still cannot breathe independently.

His joints and muscles are massaged three times a day to prevent atrophy and bed sores.

The coma suppressed his swallowing reflex, pain perception and his respiratory drive. He has to be acutely monitored around the clock during this wake-up phase to see if such things are returning naturally.

But the greatest risk to Schumacher lying in a prone position is pneumonia, say experts.

The lack of a competent swallowing mechanism can make saliva run into the lungs and trigger the potentially lethal respiratory infection.

Andreas Pingel, medical director of the Centre for Spine Surgery and Neuro-Traumatology at the BG Hospital in Frankfurt told Germany’s Focus Magazine:” About 30 to 50 percent of all patients who lie in a coma as long as Michael Schumacher has get it.”

His blood is also thinned to prevent thrombosis and he is regularly turned and even stood straight up at times to keep blood flowing. He lies on a special air-filled mattress to prevent pressure sores and his urinary tract is under constant scrutiny because of the danger of waste bacteria entering the bloodstream and causing a potentially fatal infection.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...forced-3120981

==========================================

So no new news sadly, this man remains in a terrible state

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clubhouse For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, durt, gatagato, kellyhound
Old 02-09-2014, 09:42 PM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:258
I need a nap =|
Contributions: 43

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3276

Thrombosis sounds musical.

gatagato
Old 02-11-2014, 08:13 PM
durt
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:95
male
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss11262

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertigo View Post
Christ...

No disrespect to the families, but it annoys me to see all these hot shot race car drivers raking in hundreds of millions for driving like maniacs while EMTs (who hardly have a risk-free work environment) are lucky to make $13 an hour.
It's comparing apples and oranges
They both have special talents and abilities. Schumacher's skill is well documented, and recognized. There are only a handful of people that can match it. EMT's also have their place, but often their work is not as prominent, and I'm sure they often miss the recognition they deserve! I don't consider these people in the same category, although I admire, and respect both

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to durt For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, Clubhouse, gatagato
Old 02-13-2014, 02:12 PM
DannyDrama
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:355
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2093

Quote:
Originally Posted by durt View Post
It's comparing apples and oranges
They both have special talents and abilities. Schumacher's skill is well documented, and recognized. There are only a handful of people that can match it. EMT's also have their place, but often their work is not as prominent, and I'm sure they often miss the recognition they deserve! I don't consider these people in the same category, although I admire, and respect both
That and the fact once you introduce money to something, scumbags are inevitable. Wouldn't wanna be treated by a guy just in it for the money, rather have someone that actually wanted to save my life, thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyDrama For This Useful Post:
gatagato, Johnny Wadd
Old 02-13-2014, 02:32 PM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
I need a nap =|

Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3276

I wasn't saying we should raise EMT's salary into the millions, just that paying a guy 800,000,000 to drive around in a circle really fast is a bit ludicrous. It's all politics. It's the same thing with Hollywood celebrities - they make that much because they can, not because they actually deserve it.

durt
Old 02-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Clubhouse
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss65212

Hollywood, Racing Car drivers and, any number of popular sports come under the category of entertainment...People pay money to be entertained and the better the entertainment the more they pay.

The Following User Says Thank You to Clubhouse For This Useful Post:
durt
Old 02-13-2014, 03:36 PM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
I need a nap =|

Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3276

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDrama View Post
That and the fact once you introduce money to something, scumbags are inevitable. Wouldn't wanna be treated by a guy just in it for the money, rather have someone that actually wanted to save my life, thanks.
I understand your point, but I don't think it's likely in this particular field. Nobody who isn't dedicated to their job is going to last working Emergency shifts. It's a demanding 24/7 365 days a year schedule, it's dangerous, and disease and viral risks are always high when you're dealing with bodily fluids from complete strangers on a regular basis. Exposure to blood-borne pathogens and other transmittable illnesses, many of which are incurable and deadly, and just like doctors and nurses, EMT's have dropped dead from the very illness they're trying to treat (the SARs epidemic was a good semi-recent example of this) How many people would actually risk all that just for a bigger paycheck?

EDIT- Didn't think to mention it, but I guess the blood and guts is a big detractor, too. I've gotten so used to discussing stuff like this with other desensitized DR members, I sometimes forget that most people freak out at the sight of gore...

DannyDrama, durt, gatagato