Poster Rank:7

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 25063 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss65212
Re: Michael Schumacher Injured in Skiing Accident in France

Michael Schumacher latest news: Felipe Massa admits he’s praying daily for former Ferrari team-mate.

Felipe Massa admitted he prays daily for his hospitalised former teammate Michael Schumacher, writes Byron Young in Sepang .

Saturday will mark three months since the seven-times world champion was put in a medically induced coma by doctors in France in an effort to save his life.

He crashed and rolled for 34 m while skiing near Meribel in France on 29th December, hitting his head on a rock.

“I pray everyday for him and will never stop thinking of him until he is ok,” said the Brazilian.

Massa was Schumacher’s teammate at Ferrari.

Medical experts say the omens for the German just lately have not been good .

And there are increasing fears he will never come out of the coma and there are suggestions he could soon be moved out of intensive care in Grenoble hospital and into somewhere which has more long term care.

Daily Mirror

I don't believe he will make any sort of quality recovery from his injuries anymore....Pretty much a vegetable is all that's left of the man

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clubhouse For This Useful Post:
Faline, gatagato, invertigo
Old 03-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Clubhouse
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:7

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 25063 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss65212

Michael Schumacher ski accident: Former F1 doctor says fans must prepare for ‘really bad news’

Gary Harstein says it is “less and less” likely the racing legend will recover after suffering serious brain injuries.

The former chief doctor of Formula One believes fans of Michael Schumacher must prepare for “really bad news” following his horrific ski accident.

The racing driver has been in an artificial coma since 29th December after suffering terrible brain injuries in a crash at a French ski resort.

Writing on his blog, Gary Harstein said: “As time goes on it becomes less and less likely that Michael will emerge to any significant extent.”

He believes the world must brace itself for the worst possible outcome for the Ferrari legend.

“I always knew Michael was adored,” he wrote.

“I spent years at circuits drenched in red by the Ferrari caps, flags, and shirts, and all of that for Michael. I’m still staggered by the depth and persistence of his fans’ love for him.

“And whereas I worried more than a bit about what was going to happen when and if really bad news got announced, I’ve realised that perhaps the lack of status updates has given us all a chance to move on a bit, to process what’s happening, and to start to... detach.”

Commenting on recent reports that Schumacher has lost 25% of his body weight, Dr Hartstein said it is “entirely possible and, in fact, probable.”

“Happily, the consequences are not particularly dramatic, at least immediately,” he wrote.

“To be blunt, a patient in coma doesn’t really NEED his or her muscles . . . with the exception of the diaphragm. The diaphragm, which like the heart is pretty much always active, resists atrophy rather better than other muscles, but it does atrophy.

25 Mar 2014 13:01
By Allan Hall, Steve Robson

Gary Harstein says it is “less and less” likely the racing legend will recover after suffering serious brain injuries

The former chief doctor of Formula One believes fans of Michael Schumacher must prepare for “really bad news” following his horrific ski accident.

The racing driver has been in an artificial coma since 29th December after suffering terrible brain injuries in a crash at a French ski resort.

Writing on his blog, Gary Harstein said: “As time goes on it becomes less and less likely that Michael will emerge to any significant extent.”

He believes the world must brace itself for the worst possible outcome for the Ferrari legend.

“I always knew Michael was adored,” he wrote.

“I spent years at circuits drenched in red by the Ferrari caps, flags, and shirts, and all of that for Michael. I’m still staggered by the depth and persistence of his fans’ love for him.

“And whereas I worried more than a bit about what was going to happen when and if really bad news got announced, I’ve realised that perhaps the lack of status updates has given us all a chance to move on a bit, to process what’s happening, and to start to... detach.”

Commenting on recent reports that Schumacher has lost 25% of his body weight, Dr Hartstein said it is “entirely possible and, in fact, probable.”

“Happily, the consequences are not particularly dramatic, at least immediately,” he wrote.

“To be blunt, a patient in coma doesn’t really NEED his or her muscles . . . with the exception of the diaphragm. The diaphragm, which like the heart is pretty much always active, resists atrophy rather better than other muscles, but it does atrophy.

“And having a machine doing the breathing for you is one of the best ways to see how disuse atrophy affects the diaphragm too. Unfortunately, and assuming (as I have until now) that Michael is being ventilated by a respirator, there is probably some degree of diaphragmatic atrophy at this point.”

Speculating on Schumacher’s current condition, Dr Hartstein said that he is in a “persistent coma”.

“As mentioned previously, the longer one remains in a vegetative state, the less the likelihood of emerging, and the higher the chances of severe ramifications if the patient does in fact emerge,” he wrote.

“Most definitions consider the vegetative state to be permanent one year after the injury.

“Patients who are in a persistent/permanent vegetative state have lifespans that are measured in months to a few years. This depends on baseline function (extraordinary in the case of Michael, of course), the quality of nursing care, and other imponderables. They usually die of respiratory or urinary infections. Longer survivals have been described, but are exceptional.”

Schumacher’s spokeswoman said only last week that the waking-up phase of Michael is continuing and said that it will “take as long as it takes.”

Link same as previous post.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clubhouse For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, durt, Faline, gatagato
Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Johnny Wadd
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:380
Male

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1903

Schumacher has 'conscious moments' - agent

F1 champion Michael Schumacher is showing "moments of consciousness" after months in a coma, his agent has said.

Sabine Kehm said in a statement to the media that he was "making progress", adding that they remain "confident".

Doctors in France have been working to bring the seven-time champion out of a medically induced coma.

The 45-year-old German suffered a severe head injury in a skiing accident in the French Alps on 29 December.

"We are on his side during his long and difficult fight, together with the team of the hospital in Grenoble," Ms Kehm said in the statement.

"We would like to thank you all for the continuous sympathies. At the same time we again ask for understanding that we do not intend to disclose details."

Last month Schumacher's relatives said in a statement that he had been showing "small, encouraging signs".

Investigators probing the accident said Schumacher had been going at the speed of "a very good skier" at the time of his crash in the resort of Meribel.

He had been skiing off-piste when he fell and hit a rock, investigators said.

Experts reconstructed events leading up to the crash after examining Schumacher's skiing equipment and viewing footage filmed on a camera attached to his helmet.

Schumacher retired from racing in 2012 after a 19-year career.

He won two titles with Benetton, in 1994 and 1995, before switching to Ferrari in 1996 and going on to win five straight titles from 2000.

Slight signs of a possibly recovery

gatagato
Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 AM
invertigo
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:258
I need a nap =|
Contributions: 43

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3275

That might not be good news... 'Conscious' and 'Cognitive' are very different states...

Clubhouse, durt, gatagato, Illusion, Kelseecat65
Old 04-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Illusion
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:27
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 10900 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss25832

Such a ridiculous way to get so badly injured.. Glad to hear he is improving.

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/S...ces,74908.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Illusion For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss5486

*** Update

Michael Schumacher out of coma and leaves hospital after ski accident

Latest as German F1 legend Michael Schumacher leaves Grenoble hospital intensive care nearly six months after skiing crash

Quote:
Michael Schumacher is no longer in a coma and has left intensive care in Grenoble hospital nearly six months after his life-threatening skiing accident, his manager has confirmed.
On behalf of the Schumacher family, who have steered clear of the public eye, Sabine Kehm said the family were “sure” the wishes of fans had helped the seven-time Formula One champion recover and begin his rehabilitation.
In a statement, Kehm said: “Michael has left the CHU Grenoble to continue his long phase of rehabilitation. He is not in a coma anymore.
“His family would like to explicitly thank all his treating doctors, nurses and therapists in Grenoble as well as the first aiders at the place of the accident, who did an excellent job in those first months.
“The family also wishes to thank all the people who have sent Michael all the many good wishes to Michael. We are sure it helped him.
“For the future we ask for understanding that his further rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye.”
No further details regarding where Schumacher has been transferred to have been made public and no press conference with his family is expected.
Schumacher had been in a medically induced coma in Grenoble, France, since being badly injured in a ski accident on December 29 in the French resort of Meribel with his son and friends. The 45-year-old struck his head on a rock while skiing off-piste.
The 45-year-old Schumacher underwent two operations in the days after the accident to remove life-threatening blood clots before being placed into a coma.
The family announced at the end of January that drugs used to keep him in his deep sleep were being reduced with a view to bringing him back to consciousness.
Announcements have been few and far between since the accident but the latest news will bring cheer to his millions of fans across the globe and the Formula One community at large.
Schumacher won an unprecedented seven titles in F1: two with Benetton in 1994 and 1995, and five consecutive championships with Ferrari from 2000 to 2004. The German came back to the sport with Mercedes in 2010, securing only one podium before retiring for a second time at the end of 2012.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...-accident.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27868787

http://online.wsj.com/articles/micha...oma-1402914016

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Clubhouse, Faline, Illusion, Kelseecat65
Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 AM
AnalThunder
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:927
Male
Contributions: 21