Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526
Re: Irish Woman Denied Abortion Dies From Blood Poisoning

What happened to the patient determining whether or not she wanted to live or die?

Here, they have you sign a Living Will when you are hospitalized for anything!

Rest in peace, Savita

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
gatagato, juliemd, Megamel29
Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Sharon
Offline:
✝ Moderator ✝
Poster Rank:10
Sparkle and Smut
Contributions: 204

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss51378

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatagato View Post
And should i believe that God is happy, now that a woman died in his name? This is pure madness.

No rational thinking human being would claim she died in God's name. I hate all that crap too

This is a shocking case, the hospital commited manslaughter

The Following User Says Thank You to Sharon For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 11-23-2012, 06:31 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526
*Update* Woman's Death in Ireland After Being Denied Abortion

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc3f7862" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=49830482&amp;width=420&amp;height=24 5" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc3f7862" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=49830482&amp;width=420&amp;heigh t=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit NBCNews.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.nbcnews.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>

inquiry begins into case of woman who died after she was refused abortion in Ireland

Hundreds of women in Ireland are protesting, calling for legislative change after the death of Savita Halappanavar, who died after her requests for an abortion were rejected by her Irish doctors. NBC's Jim Maceda reports.

Reuters

DUBLIN, Ireland - Ireland has opened a new investigation into the death of a woman denied an abortion of her dying foetus, as the government scrambled to stem criticism of its handling of an incident that polarised the overwhelmingly Catholic country.

Savita Halappanavar, a 31-year-old dentist, was admitted to hospital in severe pain on October 21 and asked for a termination after doctors said her baby would not survive, according to her husband, but in a country with some of the world's most restrictive abortion laws, surgeons would not remove the foetus until its heartbeat stopped days later.

He husband, Praveen Halappanavar, believes the delay contributed to the blood poisoning that killed his wife on October 28. He has said he would not cooperate with an investigation already launched by the country's health service because he did not believe it would be neutral.

On Friday, the Health Information and Quality,(HIQA), watchdog, which is government-funded but independent of the state health service, said it had also launched an investigation after receiving information from the health service and University Hospital Galway, where Halappanavar died.

A solicitor acting on behalf of the husband said the new inquiry was unlikely to be enough to satisfy his client.

"My client has always made his position very clear ... He wants a public inquiry. He has made it clear he wants to get to the truth of the matter, so I don't think that the framework of HIQA will suffice," Gerard O'Donnell, told RTE radio.

He added that the next step would be to consider an application to the European Court of Human Rights, which criticized Ireland's abortion ban in 2010.

Halappanavar's death has reopened a decades-long debate over whether the government should legislate to explicitly allow abortion when the life of the mother is at risk.

Irish law does not specify exactly when the threat to the life of the mother is high enough to justify a termination, leaving doctors to decide. Critics say this means doctors' personal beliefs can play a role.

Though the influence of the Catholic Church over Irish politics has waned since the 1980s, successive governments have been loath to legislate on an issue they fear could alienate conservative voters.

Ireland's abortion stance is enshrined in a 1983 constitutional amendment that intended to ban abortion in all circumstances. In 1992, when challenged in the "X-case" involving a 14-year-old rape victim, the Supreme Court ruled that abortion was permitted when the woman's life was at risk, including from suicide.

But successive governments refused to make clear the circumstances under which a threat would make an abortion legal. After several challenges, the European Court of Human Rights ruled in 2010 that Ireland must clarify its position.

Prime Minister Enda Kenny, whose ruling Fine Gael party made an election pledge not to introduce new laws allowing abortion, said last week he would not be rushed into a decision on the issue.

The government was forced into an embarrassing u-turn this week when it removed three Galway-based consultants from the health service inquiry following criticism from Praveen Halappanavar.

The issue has raised tensions between Fine Gael and the more socially liberal Labour Party, its junior coalition partner, which has campaigned for a clarification of the country's abortion rules.

The country's president, Michael D. Higgins, a former member of the Labour Party, weighed into the debate this week when he said an investigation was needed that satisfied the dead woman's family.

Opposition party Sinn Fein introduced a motion to parliament on Wednesday calling for parliament to legislate on abortion, but it was rejected.

"Successive governments over the past 20 years have failed in respect of legislation. That failure is in large measure due to fear or cowardice," said Mary Lou McDonald, vice president of Sinn Fein.

Savita Halappanavar is shown in a photo received from the Irish Times.

Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Bastet, gatagato, Seven Of Nine
Old 11-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

No idea why a new thread was made, all updates need to be put in with the original thread, keeps the site tidy and it's the way it's always been here. That way anyone looking up the incident finds it all in one place.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
gatagato, kellyhound
Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 PM
abacus
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1589
Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss210

20 years ago a similar thing happened where the government actually REFUSED to let a pregnant girl leave the country to get an abortion elsewhere. There was huge uproar back then too, and now today we're in the same position again. The government dont seem to give a shít and are reluctant to do anything as usual other than say "durr we'll investigate it".
If anything positive comes from this Ill eat my fucking hat and post it on DR, but Im highly doubtful anything will. Remember, this is the same country where condoms were ILLEGAL to buy up until the early/mid 90's, and if you did buy them when they became legal the community would view you as a disgrace.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abacus For This Useful Post:
Bastet, gatagato, Vera Wang
Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Hvergelmir
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:119
Contributions: 2

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
No idea why a new thread was made, all updates need to be put in with the original thread, keeps the site tidy and it's the way it's always been here. That way anyone looking up the incident finds it all in one place.
Same reason she made a new thread about Uganda, which I'm assuming you merged with the one I created.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
ambvlnt.ideal
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2215
female

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss127

A Hospital should be required to separate religion and medicine. everyone is entitled to their beliefs and they deserve respect but using your religion as an excuse to deny someone proper care is unprofessional. It's unbelievable to me that they would put something so personal ahead of what they are expected to do, as a business.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ambvlnt.ideal For This Useful Post:
Bastet, gatagato, Vera Wang
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 AM
icheerthebull
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:290
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2802

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambvlnt.ideal View Post
A Hospital should be required to separate religion and medicine. everyone is entitled to their beliefs and they deserve respect but using your religion as an excuse to deny someone proper care is unprofessional. It's unbelievable to me that they would put something so personal ahead of what they are expected to do, as a business.
Agree 100% though I don't think hospitals should viewed as a business, despite what heartless corrupt multi nationals would have us believe

Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 PM
mengala
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:382

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1893
Re: Woman 'Refused' Abortion In Ireland Dies

I thought she was Irish? she is Indian.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Nite
Offline:
Retarded Genius
Poster Rank:3

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
Quoted: 16128 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
11/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss88610
Re: Woman 'Refused' Abortion In Ireland Dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengala View Post
I thought she was Irish? she is Indian.

you are a bright one aren't you?As hard as it is to believe there are Indians in Ireland
fancy that

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nite For This Useful Post:
McLovin510, Weatherly