Quoted: 20147 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss49399
Re: **Update**Iraq Veteran's SpongeBob Gravestone Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
I'm all for free speech, absolutely. And I am a veteran. And in my opinion that headstone or whatever it is , is disrespectful. A cartoon character in a US Army uniform, really?
you know i love you and mean no offense here, im just honestly curious.. why is it offensive?

i suppose the reason i ask is because i am in love with animated shows and, while im not a vet, i have told my wife that if i were to be buried (which i dont plan on having done), i would love to have a cartoon character as a headstone.... my family would see it and it would mean a lot to them because it was something i loved in life. if i were a vet, it would likely be a cartoon character in uniform (likely an effigy of Brock Samson in uniform)

BBKF, diamondsmiles, KimmieKai, Megamel29, shoelessjojackson
Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Skott
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:2039
Bastard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 11/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda444 View Post
you know i love you and mean no offense here, im just honestly curious.. why is it offensive?

i suppose the reason i ask is because i am in love with animated shows and, while im not a vet, i have told my wife that if i were to be buried (which i dont plan on having done), i would love to have a cartoon character as a headstone.... my family would see it and it would mean a lot to them because it was something i loved in life. if i were a vet, it would likely be a cartoon character in uniform (likely an effigy of Brock Samson in uniform)
I'm certainly not qualified to put words in anyone's mouth, but i would guess that it's not the cartoon character itself that's offensive, but the character wearing the uniform. the men and women who serve this country have earned the right to wear the uniform... spongebob clearly has not.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skott For This Useful Post:
Arista, K9Grip, Kanda444, shoelessjojackson
Old 10-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss49399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skott View Post
I'm certainly not qualified to put words in anyone's mouth, but i would guess that it's not the cartoon character itself that's offensive, but the character wearing the uniform. the men and women who serve this country have earned the right to wear the uniform... spongebob clearly has not.
most of the people i know that are in the military are there because they want to protect america's freedoms... and she (the vet in the article) died protecting those freedoms. why is it ok to not give her the freedom to express herself after what she sacrificed?

also, Bugs Bunny was actually in the army in one episode.... does that mean it would be ok if she had used a statue of Bugs since he earned his uniform? (i mean that seriously since we are talking about animated characters)

diamondsmiles, KimmieKai, Megamel29, shoelessjojackson
Old 10-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Skott
Offline:
Bastard

Activity Longevity
2/20 11/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss143

Quote:
most of the people i know that are in the military are there because they want to protect america's freedoms... and she (the vet in the article) died protecting those freedoms. why is it ok to not give her the freedom to express herself after what she sacrificed?

also, Bugs Bunny was actually in the army in one episode.... does that mean it would be ok if she had used a statue of Bugs since he earned his uniform? (i mean that seriously since we are talking about animated characters)
meh.. i dunno. doesn't bother me too much, but i can see why some folks are pissed.
As for bugs bunny... you're joking right? bugs bunny was not "in the army" nor did he "earn his uniform" he does not exist... he is purely fictional..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skott For This Useful Post:
Arista, Kanda444, shoelessjojackson
Old 10-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss49399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skott View Post
meh.. i dunno. doesn't bother me too much, but i can see why some folks are pissed.
As for bugs bunny... you're joking right? bugs bunny was not "in the army" nor did he "earn his uniform" he does not exist... he is purely fictional..
of course he's fictional but that's the point. no fictional character can 'earn' his uniform... but if the reason the headstone is being removed is because spongebob 'didnt earn his', that would imply that a cartoon character could. and if that's the case, then yes.. bugs did earn his

in 'forward march hare' he went to boot camp.

all i'm saying is, i understand that people are upset.... even so, since when does 'people getting offended' equal others losing their freedom of expression? i get offended when i see religious shit it's (to me) superstition nonsense that has no place in public... but i can be offended all i want, people are still free to do what they please. i just dont think this is any different.

BBKF, diamondsmiles, shoelessjojackson
Old 10-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Skott
Offline:
Bastard

Activity Longevity
2/20 11/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss143

Quote:
no fictional character can 'earn' his uniform... but if the reason the headstone is being removed is because spongebob 'didnt earn his', that would imply that a cartoon character could. and if that's the case, then yes.. bugs did earn his
This makes no sense.

and you're right. People have the right to do all sorts of stupid, selfish shit. God bless America.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skott For This Useful Post:
Kanda444, shoelessjojackson
Old 10-23-2013, 09:32 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21527

I think the family should do what they want to memoralize their loved ones with what he or she would have loved in life.

That's creating a memory in the person's honor. Trying to fit in with a bunch of most likely, old people, set their ways, is ridiculous!

They should sue! They got permission before they put out the $26,000.00. Someone at the cemetary screwed up, not the family!

Sadly, the family probably was too upset and emotional to get it in writing

Perhaps seeing Bugs and Bob in uniform made the children think about what the uniforms meant.

They need more credit than they are often given. Children are not just mindless, little, idiots!

They are full of wonder and amazement! Adults are the ones who make them into racists and mean people, with bad parenting or no parenting at all!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
BBKF, Kanda444, tbone79
Old 10-24-2013, 12:08 AM
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:348
BULL

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2122

Quote:
of course he's fictional but that's the point. no fictional character can 'earn' his uniform... but if the reason the headstone is being removed is because spongebob 'didnt earn his', that would imply that a cartoon character could. and if that's the case, then yes.. bugs did earn his

in 'forward march hare' he went to boot camp.

all i'm saying is, i understand that people are upset.... even so, since when does 'people getting offended' equal others losing their freedom of expression? i get offended when i see religious shit it's (to me) superstition nonsense that has no place in public... but i can be offended all i want, people are still free to do what they please. i just dont think this is any different.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shoelessjojackson For This Useful Post:
BBKF, Kanda444
Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 AM
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:348
BULL

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
3/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2122

I would get Super Saiyajin 2 Gohan on my tombstone, the hell with anyone else's ideaology or belief.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shoelessjojackson For This Useful Post:
BBKF, diamondsmiles
Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

"Freytag said he's "willing to do whatever the family thinks is best, other than installing the monuments back as they were."

What does that even mean? He's willing to do anything except what he is being asked to do. So he means no. Why did he say it like that? Is that a respectful way of saying 'hell no'? I don't intend to rot under any sort of marker, but I wouldn't be bothered if someone else did, if that's what they want. Do people think their loved ones won't get to Heaven because of Spongebob?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
BBKF, diamondsmiles