Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615
Re: Brain-dead Woman Kept Alive Only to Incubate Her Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubhouse View Post
This^^^^^

The baby is the next generation of the mother, I don't see how her parents could justify the death of her baby.....In fact out of tragedy is born a miracle...Literally.
I know that if this had happened to me, my mom would have moved heaven and earth to keep me here long enough to let that baby be born. A very simple reason, that baby would have been a part of me, and thru that baby, I would go on. I agree Clubhouse, out of a tragedy is born a miracle.

I'm kind of shocked to be honest that the grandparents or father could, seemingly, care less about the baby. Which then makes me wonder, if this baby is born healthy, will the father and grandparents want it, take care of it, or hate it because it's a reminder of this mess.

I guess the moral to this story, put your verbal wishes in writing. Have it notarized and sealed in an envelope.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
Clubhouse, diamondsmiles, K9Grip, Photoplay, shinycatcreations, winvens
Old 01-16-2014, 05:07 PM
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3102

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss73
Re: Brain-dead Woman Kept Alive Only to Incubate Her Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelseecat65 View Post
I know that if this had happened to me, my mom would have moved heaven and earth to keep me here long enough to let that baby be born. A very simple reason, that baby would have been a part of me, and thru that baby, I would go on. I agree Clubhouse, out of a tragedy is born a miracle.

I'm kind of shocked to be honest that the grandparents or father could, seemingly, care less about the baby. Which then makes me wonder, if this baby is born healthy, will the father and grandparents want it, take care of it, or hate it because it's a reminder of this mess.

I guess the moral to this story, put your verbal wishes in writing. Have it notarized and sealed in an envelope.
You said exactly what I was thinking. This is one story I'm actually torn between the two sides. I'm really confused as to why the dad and grandparents don't want this baby. I know taking care of kids as a single parent is hard, but it can be done. I kind of agree with the law, it's just until 24 weeks so they can access the babies condition( if I read right).
Then I understand the husbands part, it should be more up to him and not the state. I'm intrigued about what happens at the 24 week mark they are waiting for.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shinycatcreations For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Kelseecat65, winvens
Old 01-17-2014, 03:08 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528
**Update**Judge Recuses Hereself From Lawsuit

Texas Judge Recluses Herself From Lawsuit Over Brain-Dead Pregnant Woman

By M. Alex Johnson,
Staff Writer, NBC News

January 16, 2014

The judge overseeing a lawsuit seeking to force a Texas hospital to remove a brain-dead pregnant woman from life support abruptly recused herself from the case Thursday.

In a one-paragraph order issued without explanation late in the afternoon, Tarrant County District Judge, Melody Wilkinson, removed herself from the nationally watched case of Marlise Munoz, the 33 year old Fort Worth paramedic whose husband has sued to have her taken off of life support.

Marlise Munoz was 14 weeks pregnant when she collapsed in November from what doctors believe was a pulmonary embolism. Her husband, Erick Munoz, has said that doctors have described her as brain-dead and that his wife was clear that she wouldn't want to be kept alive.

Erick Munoz on Tuesday sued John Peter Smith Hospital of Fort Worth, which responded that it was barred by state law from removing a pregnant patient from life support.

Neither judge Wilkinson nor the Tarrant County District Attorney's Office would elaborate on the move, but Bud Kennedy, a reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, tweeted Thursday that Wilkinson's campaign treasurer is also general counsel for JPS Health Network, the hospital's parent company.

If the report is true, the man's dual role could be seen as a conflict of interest for the judge.

Campaign finance records on file with the State Ethics Commission list Neal W. Adams, of an address in Grapevine, as Wilkinson's campaign treasurer.

Records on file with the State Attorney General's Office list Neal W. Adams, of a law firm at the same Grapevine address, as general counsel to the Tarrant County Hospital District, the title under which JPS does official business as a publicly funded entity.

Wilkinson's recusal emerged after office hours at Adams' law firm, which didn't answer calls seeking comment.

A spokeswoman for the Tarrant County District Attorney's Office said she couldn't comment.

Erick and Marlise Munoz hold their son, Mateo.
Courtesy KC Studios Photography

I love this photo! <3

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
munoz.jpg  

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
BBKF, Firegirl1, K9Grip, Kelseecat65, Megamel29, Pigeon, Shadedwill
Old 01-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615
Re: **Update**Judge Recuses Hereself From Lawsuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post
Texas Judge Recluses Herself From Lawsuit Over Brain-Dead Pregnant Woman
Should be recuses herself.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
Clubhouse, diamondsmiles, K9Grip
Old 01-20-2014, 07:29 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528
Re: **Update**Judge Recuses Hereself From Lawsuit

Quote:
Should be recuses herself.
Thank you, Kelsee

Shoot! Too late to edit!

The spellcheck doesn't accept recuses as a word so I thought it was a mistake. I changed them all except that one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
K9Grip, Kelseecat65
Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615
Re: *Update* Brain-dead Woman Kept Alive Only to Incubate Her Baby

LOL..i wasn't trying to be snippy......I worked for a Judge for so long...that word is one we said a lot!
Damn spellchecker!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 01-21-2014, 05:11 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
LOL..i wasn't trying to be snippy......I worked for a Judge for so long...that word is one we said a lot!
Damn spellchecker!!!
It's ok

The next time, catch it within 2880 minutes of the post so I can edit it. I hate when I find mistakes later.

I worked for PI lawyers for 18 years and got concert tickets for a judge, lol!

I used to proofread while sitting at the reception desk. I don't use spell check and am responsible for all my typos

We didn't use that word at all, that I can recall.

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Kelseecat65
Old 01-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post
It's ok

The next time, catch it within 2880 minutes of the post so I can edit it. I hate when I find mistakes later
I didn't realize there was a time limit!
I learn something new daily around here!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528
*Update* Baby 'Distinctly' Abnormal

Fetus of Texas Woman on Life Support 'Distinctly Abnormal,' Family Lawyers Say

By Jeff Black, Staff Writer
NBC News

January 22, 2014

Attorneys for the family of a brain-dead pregnant woman who is in life support in a Texas hospital said Wednesday they have medical records showing the fetus is, "distinctly abnormal."

They issued the statement, they said, to clear up any, “misconceptions about the condition of the fetus.”

Erick Munoz, the husband of 33 year old former paramedic, Marlise Munoz, has filed a lawsuit against John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth seeking to remove her from life support.

He said her wishes were not to be kept alive in such a state.

Despite a family's pleas, a Texas hospital refuses to remove a mother from life support because she's 20 weeks pregnant. NBC News' Janet Shamlian reports.

Marlise Munoz was 14 weeks pregnant when she collapsed in November from what doctors believe was a pulmonary embolism. The fetus is now at about the 22 weeks.

But, the hospital said pulling the plug would violate a Texas law that says life-sustaining support can’t be withdrawn or withheld from a pregnant person.

The statement issued through Munoz' attorneys apparently seeks to bolster the claim that keeping the mother alive for the sake of the fetus is a lost cause.

“Even at this early stage, the lower extremities are deformed to the extent the gender cannot be determined,” the statement says.

In addition the statement says the fetus as swelling of the brain, — “hydrocephalus,” — as well as possible heart problem.

“Quite sadly, this information is not surprising due to the fact that the fetus, after being deprived of oxygen for an indeterminate length of time, is gestating within a dead and deteriorating body, as a horrified family looks on in absolute anguish, distress and sadness,” the statement from Munoz' lawyers, Heather King and Jessica Janicek read.

The statement also appears an attempt to reinforce Erick Munoz' and some experts' position that the Texas statute doesn’t apply to dead people.

“Were that to be true, then it would be incumbent upon all health care providers to immediately conduct pregnancy tests on any woman of child bearing age who becomes deceased, and upon determining the deceased body was pregnant, hooking the body up to machines in an attempt to continue gestation,” the statement says. “ Surely, such a result was never intended nor should it be inferred.”

Spokeswomen for the hospital and the Tarrant County District Attorneys' Office, which is representing the hospital in the lawsuit, declined to comment Wednesday.

A hearing in the case is scheduled for Friday.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
BBKF, Firegirl1, K9Grip, Kelseecat65, Megamel29, Pigeon
Old 01-22-2014, 11:40 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

If there is a slight chance anything is wrong with the baby, it's time to let them go.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
BBKF, diamondsmiles, K9Grip, Megamel29