Poster Rank:3

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
Quoted: 16114 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
11/20 14/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss88594
Re: Brain-dead Canadian on Life Support to Save Fetus

You can tell the difference with Canadians?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:57 PM
corrico
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:467
male

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1373

Whether the mother is brain dead or just dead, there is still life inside her, and this life still has a heart beat. My positive thoughts are with the poor guy left waiting. He is so heart broken by this I really hope that his child is okay and developes with little problems, if any.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to corrico For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, winvens
Old 02-11-2014, 10:47 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524
Brain-Dead Canadian Woman Dies After Giving Birth to Boy

nbcnews.com

February 11, 2014

VANCOUVER — A 32 year old Canadian woman who had been declared brain dead in December and kept on life support for six weeks died on Sunday soon after giving birth to a baby boy.

Robyn Benson was just 22 weeks pregnant when she collapsed
from a cerebral hemorrhage and was declared brain dead. Doctors in Victoria, British Columbia, kept her alive at her husband's request so that their unborn baby would have a better chance of survival.

"It is with a heavy heart but also with extreme proudness that I am posting this update," Dylan Benson wrote on his personal blog on Monday. "On Saturday evening, my beautiful and amazing son, Iver Cohen Benson, was born. Iver is healthy and is the cutest and most precious person I have ever met." (Photo below)

Robyn and Dylan Benson pose in this wedding photo, (below), taken in Victoria, British Columbia on July 13, 2013 and released to Reuters on February 4, 2014.

But with the birth of baby Iver, Benson had to say goodbye to his wife of just seven months, who died on Sunday after being taken off life support.

"I miss Robyn more than words can explain. I could not be more impressed with her strength, and I am so lucky to have known her," he wrote. "She will live on forever within Iver, and in my heart."

Iver, born after just 28 weeks in the womb, weighed 2 pounds, 13 ounces, the Vancouver Sun reported. A full-term pregnancy is 39 or 40 weeks, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

"I don't think I have the right words to describe it," Benson told the newspaper in an interview late on Monday. "It's the best and definitely the worst thing to ever happen to me in my life at the same time."

Benson described his son as healthy, though noted the baby faces a, "bumpy ride," as he continues to develop in a Victoria hospital. A photograph posted on Benson's blog shows the 32 year old information technology worker in the hospital cuddling his tiny son, who is attached to wires and tubes.

The story follows a controversial case in Texas, where Marlise Munoz, a pregnant brain-dead woman, was removed from life support at her husband's request last month after a lengthy court battle. Her husband said Munoz had told him she did not want to be kept on life support.

The Texas hospital had fought to keep Munoz on life support in a case that sparked fierce debate over the rights of a fetus versus the right to die.

The story of Robyn Benson and her unborn son gripped people across Canada and around the world, with donations to a fundraising site set up for baby Iver raising more than C$150,000, ($135,800), as of Tuesday morning.

The amount has far exceeded the C$36,000 goal set by Benson, who had hoped to raise funds for bills, baby supplies and to allow him to spend more time at home with his new son after the birth.

"Thank you to each and every one of you for your love, your kind words, and your support during this incredibly difficult time," Benson wrote on his blog and fundraising site.

—Reuters

*Meet The Baby Born To A Mom on Life Support*

6abc.com

By Sydney Lupkin

For Dylan Benson, the birth of his son was bittersweet. Greeting his newborn meant saying goodbye to his wife, who was brain dead and had been on life support during the last month of her pregnancy to keep their unborn baby alive.

Robyn Benson, 32, of Victoria, Canada, was 22 weeks pregnant when her husband found her unresponsive in their home December 28 after she complained of a headache, according to her husband’s blog. Doctors learned that she’d had a massive brain bleed and declared her brain dead, but they offered to keep her on life support to save the baby, her husband Dylan Benson wrote.

“It is with a heavy heart but also with extreme proudness that I am posting this update,” Dylan Benson wrote on his Facebook page and blog Monday night. “On Saturday evening, my beautiful and amazing son, Iver Cohen Benson, was born.”

Dylan Benson posted a photo of himself holding baby Iver, who was born at about 28 weeks.

“Iver is healthy and is the cutest and most precious person I have ever met,” Dylan Benson wrote, but he expects a “bumpy ride” for the preemie.

Saying hello to Iver means saying goodbye to his wife, Dylan Benson wrote. He wrote that he was proud of her, and that she will live on in their son and in his heart.

“I miss Robyn more than words can explain,” he wrote.
Benson’s plea to keep his wife alive resulted in an outpouring of help from friends and strangers, who raised more than $150,000 on his behalf to help pay the medical expenses.

The Benson family’s story is similar to that of the Munoz family more than 2,000 miles away in Fort Worth, Texas. Marlise Munoz was declared brain dead in November when she was 14 weeks pregnant, but her husband did not want doctors to keep her on life support.

However, the hospital said it was bound by state law to keep her alive for the duration of her pregnancy to save the baby. The family ultimately won the right to have Munoz removed from life support when they sued and a judge ruled in their favor.

*Dylan's Blog*

Thoughts by Dylan Benson

The story of Dylan and Iver.

HomeABOUT

Immensely sad but incredibly proud.

February 10, 2014

Dear readers,

It is with a heavy heart but also with extreme proudness that I am posting this update…

On Saturday evening, my beautiful and amazing son, Iver Cohen Benson, was born. Iver is healthy and is the cutest and most precious person I have ever met. As to be expected, it will still be a bumpy ride for he and I as he continues to grow under the care of the wonderful staff at the hospital.

On Sunday, we had to unfortunately say goodbye to the strongest and most wonderful woman I have ever met. I miss Robyn more than words can explain. I could not be more impressed with her strength, and I am so lucky to have known her. She will live on forever within Iver, and in my heart.

Thank you to each and every one of you for your love, your kind words, and your support during this incredibly difficult time. The shares of this page and the thousands of comments that I have received, both here and on the YouCaring donation page, have helped so much with getting through these past days and weeks. I truly appreciate the love and support from all over the world.

All the best to you all.

Dylan (and Iver)

Not much time to write, so just a quick update.

February 4, 2014

Hello all,

Dylan here. I just wanted to reach out and say thank you to each and every one of you that have read our story and to those who have donated and/or shared. We are overwhelmed with the response from not only the community, but now the nation and beyond.

We sincerly appreciate that the donations have continued, even though we have surpassed the donation goal. We set the goal at 36K as that would essentially be one year of Robyn’s wages. Now that is has been accomplished, any additional funds will not only go towards living costs and the costs associated with supporting Iver, but also towards us moving to a more suitable living space for the two of us, and of course towards an education fund for Iver.

We had another ultrasound today and things are still looking good for Iver, and Robyn is still holding on strong.

Thanks again for your continued support. We truly appreciate the help and kind words.

Take care,

Dylan – See more at: http://www.youcaring.com/help-a-neig....SXxknwQK.dpuf

Image 1: Handout photo of Robyn and Dylan Benson posing in their wedding photo taken in Victoria BRIJ CHARAN / HANDOUT VIA REUTERS

Image 2: Iver Benson was born on February 8, 2014, after his brain-dead mother spent more than a month on life support. (Credit: Misterbenson.com)

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
bensons.jpg  

iver.jpg  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
corrico, Karma, Kelseecat65
Old 02-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Now that's a happy ending to a tragic situation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 02-12-2014, 01:19 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelseecat65 View Post
Now that's a happy ending to a tragic situation.

The father in the hospital bed was a tear jerker for me.

Usually, Mom holds the baby first, but, I'm happy for him and I hope the baby is healthy enough to survive

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Kelseecat65
Old 02-12-2014, 03:41 AM
winvens
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:125
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 4341 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8054

Video clip from my local news Global BC: http://globalnews.ca/video/1143932/t...y-iver-is-born I hope the little gaffer will be ok. Premature boys don't do as well as girls generally. FYI I was born earlier than this kid and weighed a pound less than him too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winvens For This Useful Post:
corrico, diamondsmiles
Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524

Wow! Thank you, Anom Alley

winvens
Old 02-12-2014, 12:58 PM
winvens
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8054

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post
Wow! Thank you, Anom Alley
You're welcome. I was born at 24 weeks, was 1 lb. 11 oz and 33cm (13") long. Was only given a 10% chance of survival. I spent my first 100 days in hospital, but never went back! Praise God for neonatology!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winvens For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, Karma
Old 02-13-2014, 12:56 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anom Alley View Post
You're welcome. I was born at 24 weeks, was 1 lb. 11 oz and 33cm (13") long. Was only given a 10% chance of survival. I spent my first 100 days in hospital, but never went back! Praise God for neonatology!!
Wow! I'm glad you're here

winvens
Old 02-13-2014, 03:12 AM
winvens
Offline:
So Fucking Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8054
Re: *Update* Brain-dead Canadian on Life Support to Save Fetus

Thanks, Diamond. I'm glad too! Thank God I came out healthy, I wouldn't be here if I'd had so much as a mild infection. (Poor Mom had an incompetent cervix.)

A little girl my age/weight born the day before was initially doing better. (I had a brain bleed at 2 days; the first problem that nearly killed me ) She suddenly crashed and died. Her mother was devastated; she was in denial about how fragile Shandell and I were.

I have lousy eyesight and a condition called Non-Verbal Learning Disorder but other than that it's all systems go.

The Following User Says Thank You to winvens For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles